Silver Service Round-Trip September 2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYP2NFL01

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Trip Report
Amtrak Silver Star and Silver Meteor
New York Penn to Kissimmee, FL
9/12/21 and 9/19/21

September 7th was my 30th wedding anniversary. To celebrate we booked a six-night stay at Walt Disney World. We are big kids at heart!

Rather than deal with all the drama associated with flying these days, we opted to take Amtrak. We always wanted to try taking the train to Florida instead of flying. We booked a bedroom on each leg of the trip. We took the Silver Star to Florida and the Silver Meteor on the return trip.

When we arrived at Penn Station, we were really impressed by Moynihan Hall. Very bright and airy. Nothing like the claustrophobic
Hole-in-the-ground across the street!

We were even more impressed with the Metropolitan Lounge. It was beautiful. Most of the staff were friendly. The surly woman at the entrance did her job in a matter-of-fact manner. More about her in a minute.

We were about 2 hours early for our 11 AM departure on the Silver Star. So, we got ourselves a nice hot breakfast sandwich and coffee from the lounge food service area which was delicious. We also helped ourselves to some other snacks and goodies to take with us on the train. We chatted with the lounge staff who loved our custom made Silver Star T-shirts.

When it was time to board the train, the surly woman at the front desk neglected to direct my wife, who has knee issues to the elevator. In trying to navigate her suitcase, she fell on the escalator. I was ahead of her (my mistake)! Thankfully fellow passengers and lounge staff rushed to her aid. Thankfully she was okay - no scratches or bruises. I gave the surly woman a sharp look when I got back upstairs!

After taking the elevator, we arrived at track level where it was a little chaotic getting to the position of the sleepers. This specific consist had two Viewliner 1 sleepers instead of a VL1 and a VL2. Kumar, the SCA welcomed us onboard and assisted with our luggage to our room - Bedroom B on 9110. The Viewliner 1 rooms need urgent TLC. Although clean, the cars are worn from 2 plus decades of use. The table in our room had visible damage on the tabletop. The vanity where the sink is had scuff marks on it. The air conditioning was not as good as it could have been. But, having a private room was our goal so goal met!

Kumar was the only SCA for the two sleepers. He also reheated the Flex meals in the dining car. Despite being super busy, he provided each passenger with personalized service! My wife has tomato allergies. Nearly every dish had tomato in it. We asked if she could get a burger from the Cafe car, which he was glad to do. I had the Creole Shrimp & Andouille dish which was okay. For dinner I had the Chicken Marsala which was also okay. I opted for a Barcardi rum with dinner which I paired with a coke.

In the morning, we opted for the “Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwich”. This was NOT a Jimmy Dean sandwich. It was served in foil wrap instead of the branded packaging - and it was terrible! So was the coffee. There was no coffee service in either sleeper.

We were an hour and 13 minutes late arriving in Kissimmee. I would rate this leg of our trip a solid B.

On Sunday 9/19 we boarded the northbound Silver Meteor at Kissimmee Station. Since it was a Sunday none of the restaurants near the station were open. We used Door Dash to deliver some fast food fried chicken to have more dining options onboard. The train arrived 5 minutes early. This consist had three sleepers: two VL2 and one VL1. Once again we were in the VL1 sleeper in Bedroom B. Unfortunately we did not get to experience traveling in the new sleeper. Since I was in the middle sleeper (9811) we had to walk through 9810 to get to the dining car. Boy, was I jealous. Even the air in the new cars seemed fresher!

Our bedroom on the Meteor was not as clean as it could have been. On the single seat next to the bathroom/shower, there was what appeared to be dried chewing gum on the seat cushions. My wife and I used Purell hand sanitizer, paper towels, the edge of coins and elbow grease to get the gum off the seat cushions. The pull-out table was damaged and you had to struggle to get the table out of its stowed position. We reported this all to the SCA, who was not as accommodating as Kumar on the Star. I think this SCA’s name was Dean. He gave some pushback on ordering a burger from the cafe car for my wife. I guess he went to check with his superior since he did acquiesce and grant her request.

Like our bedroom on the Star, the air conditioning in this bedroom was not very good. My wife, who is not a fan of air conditioning said it was too warm in the room, especially during the night.

We were 38 minutes late arriving into Penn Station. I would rate the return portion of the trip a solid C.

Despite the challenges we encountered, we had a relaxing trip to and from Florida. Would I do this again? Well, I have another round-trip on the same trains for early May of next year! I’m hoping I get to experience the VL2 sleeper next time.

I sincerely hope that traditional dining returns to the Eastern LD trains by next year. If not then I hope the recent changes in the Flex menu will improve the current situation with meals onboard.

By the way, I complained to Amtrak regarding the dirty seat in the sleeper on the return trip. They compensated me with a $350 travel voucher for future travel. It was much appreciated.

Whenever my wife and I came back from our Amtrak/Florida vacations and told people we took the train they would always remark, "you can do that?" Glad you discovered the pleasure of rail travel. I think from here on things will only improve as you experience your next voyage. You are starting at the bottom and things are looking up.

Whenever my wife and I came back from our Amtrak/Florida vacations and told people we took the train they would always remark, "you can do that?" Glad you discovered the pleasure of rail travel. I think from here on things will only improve as you experience your next voyage. You are starting at the bottom and things are looking up.
I've been on the Crescent, Lake Shore LTD and Capitol LTD previously. My dream trip is the California Zephyr. But, this was my first time on either of the Silver Service trains. :)

What was so bad about the coffee?
Was is made in one of those big urns, with grounds at the bottom?

Coffee shouldn't be hard to get right.

Thanks for the trip report. I am booked on the Star from Tampa to Cary next week. I did this same trip in March and it was pretty decent. I am 1 so a roomette is more than adequate. Currently booked in Car 9211 which I believe will be a V-II if past is prologue. The sleepers were lightly utilized then and I expect the same now since snowbird traffic is Southbound. Currently one week out the train is booked 25%. The updated menu includes Short Ribs and French Toast both of which I will try that were not there in March. It Flex so I don't expect much but better than before. Like most, I long for the return of Traditional Dining. Not just the appropriately prepared food but the experience and ambiance. Traveling by train is a lifestyle choice outside of the NEC and we want to maximize it. So here's hoping!

Just have to talk The Mrs into a three-day rail journey. So far, all our long distance train travel has only been one night. We've traveled in both roomettes and bedrooms. :)
You can always fly out to Denver and then travel by train from there to Emeryville (San Francisco). Just one night and covers all of the best scenery on that route, the Rockies/Colorado Canyons, the Wasatch Front by Salt Lake City (though mostly in the dark) and the Sierra Nevadas (Donner Pass).

You can always fly out to Denver and then travel by train from there to Emeryville (San Francisco). Just one night and covers all of the best scenery on that route, the Rockies/Colorado Canyons, the Wasatch Front by Salt Lake City (though mostly in the dark) and the Sierra Nevadas (Donner Pass).
good thought, but it might be hard to get a flight going west to Denver that gets in early enough to get to the station to meet the Westbound train, even with the direct RTD service..

good thought, but it might be hard to get a flight going west to Denver that gets in early enough to get to the station to meet the Westbound train, even with the direct RTD service..
Yeah, you have to overnight in Denver. But fortunately there are many very reasonably priced hotels to be found in Denver adjacent to or easily reached from an RTD station.

It is certainly among the longest one night trip that one can take. Falls in the same category as the Coast Starlight one night trip.

Most of the hotels on Tower Road near Denver International airport (DIA) are reasonably priced and several have shuttle service to/from the airport where you can take the A-Train right into Denver Union Station (DUS). There is a Weston ($250+) in the DIA terminal but there is The Crawford Hotel ($325+) in Union Station. There is a Hyatt Place-Pena Station ($135+) across the street from the 61st & Pena Station on the A-Train which is the first stop leaving DIA and near several of the chain hotels on Tower Road. And finally the Gaylord Rockies Resort ($250) very close by. The Gaylord is almost a destination within itself. All kinds of events and so forth on-site. One suggestion is if you stay near the airport try the Moonlight Diner on Tower & 62nd. I lived 3 months across the street in a Comfort Suites (now Ramada Inn) and ate there daily before finally moving here. And yes the California Zephyr from Denver west is phenomenal!

Back