Silver Service to and from Miami

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacorbett70

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Amtrak Train 97 PHL to MIA 10/27-28

I left on Wednesday right after work and went down to the platform at 30th St. during the call for coach boarding, although I had a sleeper. I was immediately offered a choice of dinner times including right away (5:15) or 6:00. I chose the latter and saw a rainbow from my Viewliner roomette before going to dinner. At dinner I was at a table with two other solo travelers both going to Florida; a great-grandmother who has been on Amtrak before and a young lady who usually drives to FL with someone else but is taking her first train trip to avoid driving solo. Dinner was good but service was slow and we were still there when power was shut down in Washington for the engine change. They brought out a glow-stick for each table for light while the power was out. The older lady (looked in her 80s) knocked down two good-sized cans of Budweiser and wanted two more but they were out. I saw the private Pullman car "Dover Harbor" in Washington. Near Richmond pouring rain hit the windows and there was a tornado watch.

I retired for the night about midnight then woke up once or twice including about 5:15 to see Charleston in the dark sky, then I woke up for good about 7:10. I thought we were past Savannah but that was not the case as we were about 1/2 hour late. Breakfast was not that crowded, a good thing as the crew was a tad slow again. I got to get off and stretch a bit during the Jacksonville service stop. Weather cleared up as we got out in front of the front that caused the storms in Virginia. While in south Florida on Friday I would see storms from the same front. The trip through Florida, as well as lunch, was good. Also a friendly and helpful sleeping car attendant. With good weather and schedule padding we made up the time and I got into Miami shortly after 6:30, at least 20 minutes early.

Amtrak Train 92 MIA to PHL 10/30-31

I took a 10AM Tri-Rail train from the airport to the Metrorail transfer station near Amtrak, but hung around the Tri-Rail station to see a couple of special movements related to an event called "Rail Fun Day" in Fort Lauderdale and to use a Wi-Fi connection in the area. At the airport I also got a good look at the construction of the Metrorail extension, airport people mover, and future Miami train station. I noticed Miami has a Metropolitan Lounge, but I had arrived about 30 minutes before departure, explored the station, and boarding was imminent so I did not go in. Departure was on schedule 11:30 AM and lunch was served starting at 12:30. It was an uneventful northbound trip on time or close all the way up. I had another friendly helpful sleeping car attendant. The cooler temperature on the way was a bit of a shock after boarding with a white T-shirt in 80+ humid weather, then having to put on a sweater finding the diner car and passageways cold at night and at breakfast time. They did have the AC on full blast in the diner even while in Florida. In Raleigh after breakfast it was 45 degrees outside. The dining car was not crowded at all although I heard a mention that all the sleepers were sold; that was when one couple tried to stretch out by appropriating the next roomette. However, another family of six that were going to split with three in coach and three in the "A" bedroom managed to snag the "B" bedroom. Also one person at one of my meals managed to upgrade so if it was sold out it was after upgrades were sold. I had an even number roomette both ways and given a choice on a scenic trip I'd go with an odd number since there are windows in the aisle on the even number side so I could look out there w/o going up to the cafe car. The only crowded meal in the diner was lunch in the Richmond VA area, and that appeared to be due to limited seatings. Although they were running out of desserts and some items, they served a quick dinner north of Baltimore. I arrived Philadelphia by 5:30 PM, in advance of the 5:42 schedule and typical due to the schedule padding.

Overall a nice ride in both directions.

Edit: Forgot this; hereis the set of photos I took on this trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you had a good time! Why not use ClubAcela in Philadelphia? You would have been on the platform before coach passengers!
I've used Club Acela on other trips, but I went straight from work and by the time I was ready to board, they were just about to board the coach passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back