Silver Sleepers Sold out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I doubt the sky is falling. (Though I've been wrong before.)

It's probably some sort of re-tooling that went wrong. Maybe for the new Viewliner IIs, maybe some upgrade to the server, or something else. (Maybe they'll be dropping a sleeper, though removing it entirely seems stupid.)
Well, I heard from a Conductor Trainee* that they were holding all equipment used on that route until they could get all-matching paint schemes.

* - on a Disney fan forum, this would be the equivalent of saying that you heard a rumor from one of the bus drivers.

It's probably some sort of re-tooling that went wrong. Maybe for the new Viewliner IIs, maybe some upgrade to the server, or something else. (Maybe they'll be dropping a sleeper, though removing it entirely seems stupid.)
Well, I heard from a Conductor Trainee* that they were holding all equipment used on that route until they could get all-matching paint schemes.

* - on a Disney fan forum, this would be the equivalent of saying that you heard a rumor from one of the bus drivers.
Maybe one of their contract bus drivers, an off-duty Lynx driver perhaps? :giggle:

Could "upcoming adjustments" mean time card changes significant enough to alter potential travel plans? That was my first thought.

Maybe one of their contract bus drivers, an off-duty Lynx driver perhaps? :giggle:

Could "upcoming adjustments" mean time card changes significant enough to alter potential travel plans? That was my first thought.
But they're still selling coach seats, so that wouldn't make sense.

The Silver Star and the Silver Meteor differ in their passenger mix. Many Meteor passengers ride between NEC points and Florida points. The Star tends to be heavy New York - Raleigh and heavy intra-Florida but light between Raleigh and Jacksonville. That's not always true but it often is.

In addition, CSX has often sought to downgrade track and eliminate signals between Cary, NC and Fairfax, SC. The Star is the only thing that prevents CSX from doing so. I can't imagine that CSX has any enthusiasm to install PTC Cary-Fairfax.

Without starting rumors, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Star's sleepers moved to the Meteor. Nor would I be surprised to see the Palmetto re-converted to the Silver Palm and extended south of Savannah, using the Star's sleepers and diner. Nor would I be surprised to see the Star split into two day trains, one from Raleigh northward and the other from Jacksonville southward. The only stations that would be sacrificed in such a split are Southern Pines, Hamlet, Camden, Columbia, and Denmark. Of those, only Columbia has significant population -- but one can argue that a single train calling at 2 am and 4 am isn't much for Columbia to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

I wonder if this is the same bus driver that mentioned that the old Viewliners sleepers were scheduled to be temporarily taken out of service for a much needed "refreshing" when the new Viewliner II sleepers came into service. The Viewliner II sleeper scheduled delivery has been delayed over the years, but the "refreshing" schedule was never adjusted to match. So, we're seeing the old Viewliners being taken out-of-service without the new Viewliners ready to backfill.

You know, I don't trust bus driver rumors, but it does sound like a very Amtrak'ish thing to do.

The Silver Star and the Silver Meteor differ in their passenger mix. Many Meteor passengers ride between NEC points and Florida points. The Star tends to be heavy New York - Raleigh and heavy intra-Florida but light between Raleigh and Jacksonville. That's not always true but it often is.

In addition, CSX has often sought to downgrade track and eliminate signals between Cary, NC and Fairfax, SC. The Star is the only thing that prevents CSX from doing so. I can't imagine that CSX has any enthusiasm to install PTC Cary-Fairfax.

Without starting rumors, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Star's sleepers moved to the Meteor. Nor would I be surprised to see the Palmetto re-converted to the Silver Palm and extended south of Savannah, using the Star's sleepers and diner. Nor would I be surprised to see the Star split into two day trains, one from Raleigh northward and the other from Jacksonville southward. The only stations that would be sacrificed in such a split are Southern Pines, Hamlet, Camden, Columbia, and Denmark. Of those, only Columbia has significant population -- but one can argue that a single train calling at 2 am and 4 am isn't much for Columbia to lose.
I was thinking something very similar myself. Doesn't sound like a half bad plan.

I was thinking something very similar myself. Doesn't sound like a half bad plan.
Well, I would respectfully disagree. How would the folks from Raleigh to Denmark go south to Florida?

jb

I object because I live in this section of line. Columbia generally boards about eighty people in both trains every night. With an equal amount coming off (80 is the confined number). Besides amtrak already has a day train from RGH.

I'd hate to see any Amtrak LD train lose sleeping service unless there is a thoughtful and improved subsequent service - but no matter how you slice it some customers would lose out.

I don't disagree that there would be impacts, but I truly believe Cary-Fairfax is doomed to become unsignaled FRA Class II track regardless of the consequences. The Star was nearly pulled off this line 15 years ago. Maybe it happens this year, maybe 5 years, maybe 10 -- but it's inevitable. Or looking at it differently, the next hurricane that washes out this line will force the question.

What might make South Carolinians happier is a day train Greenville (or Spartanburg) - Columbia - Charleston, but South Carolina would have to fund it just as North Carolina has.

It's true that NC already has a day train from Raleigh north, but NC provides funding for the Carolinian not just the Piedmonts. SC doesn't pay squat. Maybe you don't always get what you pay for, but you rarely get what you don't pay for.

Here's a post from the Trains Magazine forum (Passenger Forum) Friday night the 27th

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/743/t/245879.aspx

Still cryptic eh?

"Got this reply from a source at Trains.

'Thank you for your inquiry, which was forwarded. Please see the following response author Bob Johnston:

(Amtrak spokesman) Marc Magliari told me that Silver Star sleeping car inventory has been temporarily withdrawn from Arrow “connected with equipment manipulation” and it will be put back for all departures within the next couple of days. No plans to drop the service.
Sincerely',

(The posterr added")
Now what in the world is " Equipment manipulation " ?
------------------------------
A slightly different answer was posted at TrainOrders: last bight as well:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3701085

"I saw on another site that Amtrak responded to someone that ;...the corporate office is currently holding the sale of sleepers due to some upcoming adjustments.' It was from an Amtrak representative.

So, what does that mean? Apparently "corporate" is not adjusting coaches. Just sleepers."

Don't write off the SAL line thru Columbia. Lots of customers in Columbia area that funnel out to Hamlet on a daily 100 car daily freight with haz mat included. Several locals in all segments plus unit coal trains from Columbia (from eastern KY) heading south via Fairfax/ SAV, CSX just completed a track maintenance program north of Columbia incl some new rail.

But, yes a day train like the Palmetto from Columbia to NEC would be good. Of course we once had that: SAL's Palmland.

Regarding this issue, I contacted Amtrak customer service through Amtrak.com. They promptly responded that the elimination of the sleeping car service on trains 91/92 from July 1, 2015 on was a computer "glitch" in the system and that they're working to restore it. They instructed me to check back periodically.

That's it folks, directly from Amtrak.

Regarding this issue, I contacted Amtrak customer service through Amtrak.com. They promptly responded that the elimination of the sleeping car service on trains 91/92 from July 1, 2015 on was a computer "glitch" in the system and that they're working to restore it. They instructed me to check back periodically.

Not gonna lie, just reading that sentence stopped my heart until I got to computer glitch, then I still had to re-read the sentence to make sure I was reading it correctly. :eek:

"Computer Glitch" is a catch-all term for all kinds of issues and actions that typically have nothing to do with actual data processing. It's an answer that is designed to send the questioner away.

For some reason they have pulled the sleeper inventory from 91 & 92 starting July 1. It's possible that they hope to introduce the new Viewliner sleepers on that train and want to ensure the inventory and description reflects the reduced number of sleepers and the lack of in-room toilets in the roomettes. Maybe they want to drop the sleepers at Tampa, and run coach-only between TPA and MIA since the route to MIA is already covered by the Meteor (that would save a set of sleepers, but would strand sleepers where there is presently no servicing). It is also possible that we have no clue why they did this, and maybe never will. Sometimes Amtrak acts in mysterious ways. One thing I don't think is that it is a "computer glitch" affecting just some trips of one train and they are taking days to clear it.

I buy this explanation as far more plausible over many of the ideas posted previously in this thread. We will see if the Silver Star roomettes and bedrooms are restored for sale after July 1 on Monday or Tuesday. For those planning to take the Star after July 1, the "outage" may provide an opportunity to book roomettes and bedrooms at a lower price right after they go back on sale, before the room sales push the price into the upper buckets.

If it's a computer glitch, it's taking them a very long time to correct it. On February 28, when we purchased our November NYP to HOL accomodations, trains 91 & 92 were being shown as sold out for months at that time. And Yes, We are snowbirds.

If it's a computer glitch, it's taking them a very long time to correct it. On February 28, when we purchased our November NYP to HOL accomodations, trains 91 & 92 were being shown as sold out for months at that time. And Yes, We are snowbirds.
FYI: This was Posted on TrainOrders today; 3/30/15.

I received a response to my inquiry to Amtrak about the sleepers on 92 being listed as "none left" beginning July 1:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding train 92. Sleeper accommodations on train 92 will be closed from July 1, 2015 - Jan. 31, 2016 because pricing [underlining mine] adjustments are being made."

I am intrigued by the English used ... the tense used ("will be" as opposed to "are") implies something quite ominous - no sleeper service in that period?

FYI: This was Posted on TrainOrders today; 3/30/15.

I received a response to my inquiry to Amtrak about the sleepers on 92 being listed as "none left" beginning July 1:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding train 92. Sleeper accommodations on train 92 will be closed from July 1, 2015 - Jan. 31, 2016 because pricing [underlining mine] adjustments are being made."

I am intrigued by the English used ... the tense used ("will be" as opposed to "are") implies something quite ominous - no sleeper service in that period?
That means they will be closed off to bookings until the price adjustments are completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak is only interested in increasing revenue and cutting costs, not in decreasing fares, so don't look for the concept of slumber coaches to return!

If anything the buckets will probably Increase during busy periods to/from Florida, with the " deals" only happening during slow periods which seem to be fewer and fewer now a days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back