Silver Star consists

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I will take a train ride next summer for the first time in many years. We will take the Silver Star from NC to Miami and will return via Silver Star. Our tickets show 9110 one way and 9211 on the return. I understand that generally the last two digits identify which car in the consist. However, when looking at videos of the Silver Star I see that sometimes the viewliner cars at the end of the train and sometimes they are closer to the engine with coach cars at the end. I assume that most cars in the consist retain their north/south orientation at the end of the line and only then engines are turned around for the return trip. The essence of the question being, we may be near the end of the train traveling one direction, but will probably be closer to the engine travelling the other direction?

The trains, in both direction, are currently with the sleepers on the front (behind the baggage car). That is most likely how they'll be next summer.

I'm on the Silver Star right now and the current exist follows in this order:

Engine

Baggage Car

Viewliner Sleeper

Viewliner Sleeper

Amfleet Cafe Car

Amfleet 2 Coach

Amfleet 2 Coach

Amfleet 2 Coach

With the sleeping car order I'm in 9211 which right behind the baggage car and the 9212 car is behind mine. I'm assuming when they add the third sleeper in the future 9210 will be in front, closet to the engine.

With the sleeping car order I'm in 9211 which right behind the baggage car and the 9212 car is behind mine. I'm assuming when they add the third sleeper in the future 9210 will be in front, closet to the engine.

On the Silver Service, Crescent and Cardinal, the sleeper or coach closest to the food service car (lounge or diner) will start the line number sequence. I believe the logic is the same for the NYP section of the Lake Shore, not positive how the Boston section is numbered.

So, with regards to the Silver Star, from front to back currently:

Engine
Baggage
9111/9211

9110/9210

Lounge

9140/9240

9141/9241

9142/9242

9143/9243

If a third sleeper is added it will become 9112/9212 right behind the baggage car.

If you are looking to maximize your on board experience, I would switch over to the Silver Meteor on the possibility the Star may be running without a Diner.

OP is originating his trip in NC. Unless he happens to live along the path of the CSX A-line, the Silver Meteor will be inconvenient. Plus it would mean a middle-of-the-night departure and arrival.

Thanks for your responses!

Also, we considered the Silver Meteor and are aware of the dining car issue. However, we live on the coast and are 2+ hours from the train station. Time of departure and arrival on Silver Star are more favorable for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back