Silver Star Damage Estimates....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakerBx

Train Attendant
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The entire consist of the wrecked Silver Star in Georgia, Amtrak Train 91(5) was rerailed on May 7. Damage estimates as follows:

Derailed Consist:

E/199 - $350,000 Rerailed 150P

C/1726 - $ 15,000 Rerailed 325P

C/2518 - $100,000 Rerailed 445P

C/62011 - $125,000 Rerailed 530p

C/62013 - $125,000 Rerailed 600P

C/8519 - $ 30,000 Rerailed 630P

C/28000 - $ 30,000 Rerailed 450P

C/25047 - $ 25,000 Rerailed 535P

C/25085 - $ 20,000 Rerailed 458P

C/25078 - $ 20,000 Rerailed 110P

C/25075 - $ 20,000 Rerailed 1215P

Damages: $860,000 Total

The damaged equipment is to be cleared for movement by May 9 or 10. Engine AMTK 138 ws removed from Train 97(6) and has been assigned to take the hospital train to Sanford (Auto-Train), FL.

-source: AMTRAK internal documents

The train did come into Sanford on Saturday at approximately 1915, just 15 minutes after 52 left. I was able to photograph all the equipment, and will hopefully have pictures up later this week, in addition to pictures of Auto Train.

Amfleet said:
Did you get any interior pics. The most damage was done to the Viewliners according to All-Aboard Groups. Apparently the suffered pretty bad vestibule damage.
Amfleet, could you link me to the all-aboard groups?

Amfleet said:
Did you get any interior pics. The most damage was done to the Viewliners according to All-Aboard Groups. Apparently the suffered pretty bad vestibule damage.
He told me he couldn't get interior pics.

Sure, it's part of Yahoo goups. You can ge to and sign up here. I never post, but there is a lot of information straight from Amtrak (mostly from Gene Poon). I get the daily digests which are a bunch of posts in one e-mail instead of 100's of single messages.

Amfleet said:
Sure, it's part of Yahoo goups. You can ge to and sign up here. I never post, but there is a lot of information straight from Amtrak (mostly from Gene Poon). I get the daily digests which are a bunch of posts in one e-mail instead of 100's of single messages.
Thanks, I'll sign up for the email's now, like I did for the Amtrak Group.

According to my sources, the Amfleets are being cleaned and spruced up first, as they recieved the least amount of damage and will have the easiest time getting back out on the road. The other cars are currently awaiting their repairs over by the Auto Train depot.

I've got a shot of the 199.
Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%20199.JPG

When the trailer of the semi bent, a forklift on the rear fell through the cab door. Kevin (Fireman and he was running) jit the deck, Wayne on top of him. The forklift landed square on Wayne, but didn't touch Kevin. This is why the left side of the area next to the cab door is bent a little bit.

battalion51 said:
When the trailer of the semi bent, a forklift on the rear fell through the cab door. Kevin (Fireman and he was running) jit the deck, Wayne on top of him. The forklift landed square on Wayne, but didn't touch Kevin. This is why the left side of the area next to the cab door is bent a little bit.
Frightening, that's all I can say...

Engineers have been concerned for years about the cab doors on the Genesis engines, and this really really brings it to the forefront now. GE and Amtrak are both looking at ways to strengthen all of the 250 or so engines that Amtrak owns. I'll be interested to see what they come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back