Silver Star flexible dining?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finleyd

Train Attendant
Did the Silver Star start serving the boxed meals today? I believe May 1st was the start date.

Did the Silver Star start serving the boxed meals today? I believe May 1st was the start date.
It was supposed to be, but maybe something happened. All I know at this moment is that the fares on today's SS have risen to the same level as the SM. I've no way of finding out what the fares were yesterday.

The Star has served the Flexible dining menu for a few weeks now. ALL overnight trains with food service is utilizing flexible dining as discussed in the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic: Amtrak Food Service Discussion thread:

Looks like all Amtrak Western LD trains now have Flexible Dining for the duration of the pandemic modified operations...

https://www.railpassengers.org/happ...traks-western-trains-temporary-but-necessary/

The Auto Train is the only exception.

92(1) had no diner.

jb

It wouldn't. As discussed in the New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019] thread, the Star will utilize the cafe car for dining service.

It is probably still on since there haven't been plans to add a diner to the Star for some time. From the Silver Star Diner thread[/URL]

thread:

In early October, I was on the Silver Meteor and several managers were on board. One of the managers worked the Silver Star. At that time, he stated that flex dining would be coming to the Silver Star, but a Viewliner Diner/Sleeper Lounge would not. He stated that the cafe car would be a single food service car with one half for coach passengers and one half for sleeper passengers. Since I heard this in early October, things may have changed.

This still stands true. The cafe car will still continue in the consist so the only real change will be the food. It will resemble the Cardinal.

FWIW, they also removed the dining cars from the Crescent. Everything is handled from the cafe car. I see no reason why the Star wouldn't follow the same premise.

The Meteor and Lake Shore are the only trains with a viewliner II dining car AND a cafe car in the consist.

Last edited:
Now that there's no cost difference between the SS and SM over their full routes, is there any reason (other than departure and arrival times and some different scenery) to pick one over the other for travel between, say, NYP and MIA?

Now that there's no cost difference between the SS and SM over their full routes, is there any reason (other than departure and arrival times and some different scenery) to pick one over the other for travel between, say, NYP and MIA?

Yes. In normal times the meteor still carries a viewliner diner as a “sleeper lounge”— it would be nice if the car was used as a diner, but it’s a much better lounge than an amfleet that’s for sure. The big windows, classy design, relaxing atmosphere (if you can ignore the Amtrak crew chatting and the tacky signs posted in the car).

Thanks. Had seen that difference in Post #4, but being woefully unfamiliar with single level cars, didn't really know what the difference was. Now that the $ is the same, wonder if the Star will get its own Viewliner dining car.

Thanks. Had seen that difference in Post #4, but being woefully unfamiliar with single level cars, didn't really know what the difference was. Now that the $ is the same, wonder if the Star will get its own Viewliner dining car.

The Single level amfleet Cafe Cars are very basic and sterile. Typically the crew takes up anywhere from 2 booths to half the car making the remaining booths crowded at times, but not always. It still can be a nice place to relax with the right crowd on the train. Meet friends, chat, play cards, etc.

The new viewliner diners as sleeper lounges are much classier design wise. They have larger windows, the upper windows. And they are going to be a quieter atmosphere since only sleeping car passengers are allowed.

Also, they have a dedicated lsa to provide drink service when they are not busy prepping the meals.

So a decent amount of benefits. Photo is mine from the meteor.

Attachments

• A29AD9A2-998D-4161-AC45-B5F2C6DA9769.jpeg
    A29AD9A2-998D-4161-AC45-B5F2C6DA9769.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
is there any reason (other than departure and arrival times and some different scenery) to pick one over the other for travel between, say, NYP and MIA?

The Silver Meteor travel time MIA-NYP is scheduled to take 26h 50m

The Silver Star travel time Miami-NYP is scheduled to take 31 hours

The detour to Tampa and routing through Raleigh adds the extra time to the Star

Does anyone know if you can still get Amtrak Cheese cake on board?

That’s a big no. The only option when I rode the Meteor was a prepackaged brownie. I can’t have that with my current diet. The normal Amtrak menu has a gluten free pudding that will work for most limited diets, a shame they couldn’t at least have that option.

Back