Silver Star from Baltimore to Miami

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I will be traveling from Baltimore Maryland to Miami vis Silver Star at end of November. Because this my first time traveling on a train, what is like when you arrive at the train station with your luggage until you board the train. Will be traveling with coach seats. Thanks

My wife and I will be traveling from Baltimore Maryland to Miami vis Silver Star at end of November. Because this my first time traveling on a train, what is like when you arrive at the train station with your luggage until you board the train. Will be traveling with coach seats. Thanks
I would suggest checking your bags except for maybe a small one for toiletries, meds, jacket, snacks & blanket.

RF

When you arrive at Baltimore Penn go inside and to the right and approach the ticket windows. If you haven't picked up your tickets yet, you can do so with one of the agents. Just to the left will be the baggage area where you can check any bags that you don't want to carry on board with you. Prior to the train's arrival you can wait in the station, or grab a quick bite to eat at one of the coffee shops in the station. About five minutes prior to arrival they will call the train in the station. Have your tickets out and ready to be inspected at this point. They will announce that the coaches will be on the head end of the train, so you'll want to head to the southern end of the platform. The Conductors and train attendants will instruct you which coach to board at and what seat to sit in.

I would suggest checking your bags except for maybe a small one for toiletries, meds, jacket, snacks & blanket.

RF
Having made this trip several times I would agree that you would want to check your bags except for personal items. Please note the restrictions on bag weight.

Sleeping on the train in coach can be an intersting experience. Try to sit in the middle of the car as noise comes from the door opening and closing. Some take ear plugs and blindfolds. Enjoy your trip!

RF
Having made this trip several times I would agree that you would want to check your bags except for personal items. Please note the restrictions on bag weight.

Sleeping on the train in coach can be an intersting experience. Try to sit in the middle of the car as noise comes from the door opening and closing. Some take ear plugs and blindfolds. Enjoy your trip!
I second that. I was in the first row on the Silver Meteor last year and the light above the aisle near the vestibule doesn't seem to dim as much as the others. We had a nice conductor who created a diffuser out of one of the cards from the seat backs. So yes, if you have a choice, try to sit near the middle of the car, but we had assigned seating so I didn't have a choice.

Also, the person next to me had a pillow like this and a sleep mask like this. I traveled in the summer and the air conditioning was rather cool even for my liking. I bought a blanket from the lounge (I wanted 1 for a souvenir), but they are rather small and rather pricey, so you might want to bring along a small blanket also. The seats aren't all that uncomfortable, but if possible, you should really try to get a roomette.

The seats aren't all that uncomfortable, but if possible, you should really try to get a roomette.
Unless you've got AGR points or some other good deal (or "connections"), a roomette would significantly increase the price of the trip: $532 one-way in coach for two; add $489 to one person's fare for the roomette for a total of $783. I doubt that the free meals and other bennies would make the extra amount spent worthwhile for most travelers. (Some who travel in coach, for example, probably skip the trip to the dining car and bring their own snacks to munch on.)

Depending on the exact day, sometimes the Star is cheaper (both for the ticket and accomodations) than the Meteor (which is faster). Since arrival times are close to each other in Miami, definitely pick the cheaper (or the departure most convenient for you).

One more question. When we get on the train in Baltimore, will there be any problem sitting together. Thanks

One more question. When we get on the train in Baltimore, will there be any problem sitting together. Thanks
The coach attendants usually will reserve pairs of seats for two people traveling together. You should not have a problem.\

In case there are no pairs available, just ask the attendant and they can reseat someone else.

Since it's an all reserved train, the attendants know approximately how many people to expect at each stop, and that there will be groups of two or more at each stop. When they do the boarding plan they take into account how many shorts, longs, and mids will be getting on at each stop, and will cluster people accordingly. If you're a single out of NYP odds are you will have a seat mate even though there are still lots of open seats til the train fills in at NWK, PHL, BAL, and WAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back