Silver Star has new Café menu and no diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan's Trains

Train Attendant
Anybody noticed on Amtrak's website that the Silver Star now has its own seperate cafe menu? Before when you viewed the cafe menu it just redirected tp the national but now it seems to just be a clone of the NER cafe menu

And if they had that menu on all the national trains, I think it would be a definite improvement....

The prices for this stuff have gotten higher than a Cat can lift its back end, but that is typical for hostage situations including airlines and stadiums. At least unlike airlines and stadiums you are allowed to bring your own onto Amtrak.

I believe the new cafe menu was supposed to be effective today, October 7. However, I've heard all the new fresh food items will be loaded in NYP for a round-trip, so the Stub Star currently running MIA-JAX won't have the new items.

if you put the menus side by side, there are more items similar, than different. The menu changes/ additions, are very minor IMHO

So: "made yesterday" items on the NB trip I guess.
Actually made 3-4 days ago "Fresh" if that is the case!
Might as well call them leftovers. I wonder if Aramark has to spray them with something to keep the "fresh" selections from looking stale and wilted days later.

Cocktails have gone up to $8.00; right in line with the airlines I fly.
Most flights are short enough to wait for a drink when you land, longer flights can often be booked on airlines with free liquor, and nearly every airport I've visited had a bar of some sort. On the other hand Amtrak is a long and drawn out affair that can last multiple days each way and most train stations haven't had a functioning bar in decades. $8 for a single shot of low grade liquor is a turnoff to me. Either stock better brands or reduce the price to something easier to stomach.

However, Amtrak does allow you to bring your own liquors, wines and beer. So give them some credit there. Not likely to find that on United, Delta or American.

If you book a roomette or a Bedroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - We just booked two Roomettes in April and they mentioned that the dinning car is back. I hope that is indeed correct. The rate was a bit higher, than the current roomette rates without the diner. I think it was about $64 difference.

However, Amtrak does allow you to bring your own liquors, wines and beer. So give them some credit there. Not likely to find that on United, Delta or American.

If you book a roomette or a Bedroom.
If you book a roomette or bedroom then you're paying first class airfare prices where the airline would be providing these drinks at no additional cost, even if you were flying a no-frills operation such as UA, DL, or AA.

If you book a roomette or bedroom then you're paying first class airfare prices where the airline would be providing these drinks at no additional cost, even if you were flying a no-frills operation such as UA, DL, or AA.
<Boo hoo> What about us folks that don't drink? <sniff> :p

BTW - We just booked two Roomettes in April and they mentioned that the dinning car is back. I hope that is indeed correct. The rate was a bit higher, than the current roomette rates without the diner. I think it was about $64 difference.
Wasn't the plan to return the dining car to the Star as of the first of the year (January 2016)?

Ruh-roh... The no diner "experiment" on the Silver Star has been extended through April 30, 2016.

Edit: Sleeper space has been blanked Feb 1 - Apr 30 for the fare changes to be put into place. As before, passengers who have already booked during this period can:

1. Sleeper passengers receive a full refund of the difference between fare paid and lowest "no-meal" fare.
  2. Sleepers may rebook on Silver Meteor at no charge, original fare will be honored if Meteor is higher. If Meteor is sold out, may rebook within 4 days on either side of original travel date. Refund without penalty if Meteor fare is lower.
  3. Cancel and receive full refund with no penalty.
  4. Coach passengers may also rebook to Meteor at no additional charge. Must rebook on same date only. Refund without penalty if Meteor is lower fare.

I'm beginning to suspect that the entire 'experiment' is actually due to the dining car shortage, and they're calibrating the length of it to when they expect to get dining cars from CAF. Watch the targeted end date to see when Amtrak thinks they'll get the first four dining cars. :-(

I saw a post on Facebook saying the last of the baggage cars will be delivered this month. So hopefully they've started, or will soon start, working on the diners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back