Silver Star incident near Lakeland (1/18/22)

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Hour and a half delay leaving Tampa because of both signal and engine issues, according to our sleeper attendant.

Now we’re stopped 8 miles short of Lakeland with all engines off. No power or HVAC, only lights working.

Pretty sure I overhead a crew walkie talkie comment that there was a problem with two of them.

Uh oh. Every emergency vehicle in the county just roared by on the highway next the right-of-way and slowed to a stop near the front of the train.

Now attendant tells us we hit a cow.

Firefghters and cops just passed with flashlights pointed at ground walking from front toward back. We’re in 9214, just ahead of the baggage car.

Deceleration when they hit the brakes was rapid enough it was making the door in the unoccupied roomette across from us slam open and closed.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Moderator's Notes: The posts above moved to this new thread from the Amtrak Cancellations thread, since these are not about Amtrak cancellations, but are about an incident on a specific run of the Silver Star. These came from the thread:

Please post any further information about this incident here. Thanks,

I’m taking this moderator move as an encouraging sign we won’t be canceled, just delayed some more.

Train horn has blown multiple times in last few minutes, for whatever that means.

Seaboard92

Engineer
Four Locomotives (3 P42DCs, 1 P40DC), Five Coaches, One Lounge, One Diner, Five Sleepers (Only one Viewliner I Car as 9211), and a baggage car.