Silver Star: Pleasantly Surprised

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
Just completed my trip on the Star. I was pleasantly surprised with the no-dining car experience. The cafe was never crowded, the cafe well-stocked and attendant helpful and friendly. My sleeping car attendant was also friendly and helpful: Bianca assisted me thoughtfully throughout my journey. She even got my bags just before arriving in Philadelphia so I wouldn’t miss the stop. In the future, I would probably take the Meteor because you get a Dining car, but I would take the Star again if I had to.

Good to hear a positive report about the Star. Perhaps Amtrak should modify a few of the new diners that are currently sitting in FL to make them useable as a cafe car and much more desirable lounge space than the cafe cars being used on the Star or even Palmetto.

I am happy to hear that you had a positive experience. I agree that Bianca is great.

Does the cafe car have menu items that you don't find on the other long distance trains? I've heard it has an expanded menu because of the lack of a diner.

Does the cafe car have menu items that you don't find on the other long distance trains? I've heard it has an expanded menu because of the lack of a diner.
At one time, the cafe car offered heat and serve entrees, however, the last time I traveled, the menu looked like standard cafe offerings.

Both 50-51, Cardinal, and 91-92, Silver Star, could see improvement if equipment on hand or expected soon were assigned. First, I believe the likely assignment of the V-II Bag-Dorms will be Cardinal, and Star. Such would mean that only one car would "sit out in Left Field" as a protect at Chicago. All would have the means to get to "Home Base" Hialeah for maintenance in revenue service.

It would make eight additional Roomettes available for revenue sale on each train.

Now as Palmland immediately suggests, Amtrak should consider what to do with the unassigned V-II Diners. As has been noted, only eleven cars are needed to fill existing lines, but with maintenance and protect accounting for some of the remaining fourteen.

While there would still be wasted kitchen space, it would appear reasonable to have counter space addrd to provide Food and Beverage for all passengers. But then it's Washington, where what you do today is not what you do tomorrow.

I can see it now; Amtrak starts to work converting some of the Diners to a "Cafe" configuration, and THEN down comes the edict - all overnight trains WILL offer Full-service dining.

What a waste.

Good to know!

I finally booked Silver Star roomette plus coach from Florida to Boston. It saved me almost $300 over Meteor roomette plus Business, which would have been my first choice.

A question to you Amtrak experts: I saw a coupon on my Amtrak homepage for an upgrade from coach to business, subject to availability within 12 hrs of departure. Can I use it for the my coach leg (NYP to Bos)? Is it free for real? If I call within 12hr of the NYP to BOS leg and they still have space available in business class I get a free upgrade, is that how it works?

Last edited:
Having done both SS and SM I'm probably going back to the SS this summer, after last year's dining car experience. Tour group that boarded in WAS literally took all the entrees for every meal. I'm not kidding. Not worth the price difference between trains and arrival time into South Florida stations about the same.

Back