Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Meteor I was in car 10, room 10. And it stayed the same when I was rebooked on the Star. But I recently decided to splurge and upgraded to a bedroom. So I’m now in car 14. I’m hoping it’s a viewliner II.

On the Meteor I was in car 10, room 10. And it stayed the same when I was rebooked on the Star. But I recently decided to splurge and upgraded to a bedroom. So I’m now in car 14. I’m hoping it’s a viewliner II.
Interesting. If that's true for everyone, then Meteor passengers would keep the same car type on the Star. And if Star passengers are being moved from cars 10/11 to 13/14, they would as well.

All of the reports so far have been that car 14 is a VLII, so your hopes are likely to be fulfilled.

With 97/98 now annulled for about two and a half months, any clue as to what the normal consist of 91/92 may be. I realize "normal" is the key word here which--with COVID issues--certainly can be an unknown. I fantasize this 15+ car consist like the Silver Meteor used to be in the 1980's and 1990's with combined Miami and Tampa sections combined north of Auburndale FL.

With 97/98 now annulled for about two and a half months, any clue as to what the normal consist of 91/92 may be. I realize "normal" is the key word here which--with COVID issues--certainly can be an unknown. I fantasize this 15+ car consist like the Silver Meteor used to be in the 1980's and 1990's with combined Miami and Tampa sections combined north of Auburndale FL.
5 coaches, cafe, diner, 5 sleepers has been the consist for 3 days now on 92.

This has been answered already in this thread. Go back a page or two. Also, I posted a video of yesterday's 91 in this thread.

My return trip is in car 11 which I think I read is a viewliner 1. If I were to call Amtrak
would they be able to switch me to a viewliner II? I guess I’m wondering if the reservationists can even tell what type of equipment a particular car is.

Unfortunately you will have to be satisfied with 13 cars in this period through end of March. ;)

My return trip is in car 11 which I think I read is a viewliner 1. If I were to call Amtrak
would they be able to switch me to a viewliner II? I guess I’m wondering if the reservationists can even tell what type of equipment a particular car is.
They can't tell whether a car is VLI or VLII, but they can switch you to a specific car number if space is available. Make sure they are doing a change, not a rebooking, and that the cost will be the same. If they tell you the cost will be higher, ask to speak to a supervisor, who should know how to do it without a cost increase.

BTW, this may have already been said in this thread, but to reinforce, agents at the AGR number tend to be more experienced and knowledgeable than agents on the regular 800 number. The wait time is usually shorter, too. If you haven't already, you can and should sign up for AGR immediately; it can be done onlne and costs nothing.

The sleepers so far have been:
10VLII
11VLI
12VLII
13VLI
14VLII

Last edited:
You can call and ask for the 10, 12, or 14 car as it seems those are consistent Viewliner II’s as of right now. Keep in mind you may get an agent who doesn’t know how to switch you without charging the current bucket fare, so you can either ask to talk to a supervisor or call back later and see if get someone who knows how to switch you at no extra cost.

Copying my complete reply here, because the Mod moved it while I was still editing it:

They can't tell whether a car is VLI or VLII, but they can switch you to a specific car number if space is available. Make sure they are doing a change, not a rebooking, and that the cost will be the same. If they tell you the cost will be higher, ask to speak to a supervisor, who should know how to do it without a cost increase.

BTW, this may have already been said in this thread, but to reinforce, agents at the AGR number tend to be more experienced and knowledgeable than agents on the regular 800-USA-RAIL number. The wait time is usually shorter, too. If you haven't already, you can and should sign up for AGR immediately; it can be done onlne and costs nothing.

10VLII
11VLI
12VLII
13VLI
14VLII

I have been rebooked on the Silver Star. My trip to FTL is in car 9111 and my return trip is in car 9811. Can anyone tell me which Viewliner I will be in?

Answered here:
Copying my complete reply here, because the Mod moved it while I was still editing it:

BTW, this may have already been said in this thread, but to reinforce, agents at the AGR number tend to be more experienced and knowledgeable than agents on the regular 800-USA-RAIL number. The wait time is usually shorter, too. If you haven't already, you can and should sign up for AGR immediately; it can be done onlne and costs nothing.

10VLII
11VLI
12VLII
13VLI
14VLII

I have been rebooked on the Silver Star. My trip to FTL is in car 9111 and my return trip is in car 9811. Can anyone tell me which Viewliner I will be in?
We've only seen one of the new 91 consists, but 9111 was a Viewliner I. 9811, assuming they keep the same previous 97/98 consist when the Silver Meteor restarts, is also a Viewliner I.

Unfortunately you will have to be satisfied with 13 cars in this period through end of March. ;)
Just for grins and old times sake, at lunch, I went home and checked a VHS video I made in 1986. The Silver Meteor's consist that day north of Auburndale was 18 units=
2 F40 locos, 2 baggage, 4 coaches, 1 lounge, 1 buffet, 1 diner, 3 sleepers, 1 lounge, 3 coaches. Quite a consist.

I wonder if Amtrak will do the sensible thing and increase staff to accommodate the additional sleeper passengers and improve table turnover? Perhaps one LSA to act as a host/steward for managing the seating, additional servers and another ‘cook’.

I wonder if Amtrak will do the sensible thing and increase staff to accommodate the additional sleeper passengers and improve table turnover? Perhaps one LSA to act as a host/steward for managing the seating, additional servers and another ‘cook’.
Depends on if they have staff to do that. Don’t forget the reason for the cut backs is staff shortages.

I’m on the northbound Star right now in a most comfortable V2 bedroom, car 9214. We’re about to arrive in Tampa. I have to walk through all the other sleepers, (lots of them,) to get to the diner and they’re almost completely empty. I’ve only seen 1 other sleeper passengers but I imagine it will fill up along the way.

I’m on the northbound Star right now in a most comfortable V2 bedroom, car 9214. We’re about to arrive in Tampa. I have to walk through all the other sleepers, (lots of them,) to get to the diner and they’re almost completely empty. I’ve only seen 1 other sleeper passengers but I imagine it will fill up along the way.
who is your attendant? Are there 5 attendants (one for each car) or fewer?

I got a nice treat. I decided to extend my Florida vacation a couple days. I modified my reservation on 92 with the AGR phone line so I’m going from Tampa to Philadelphia, not Kissimmee. They didn’t charge me extra points—a Roomette was going for 19300 points—I only spent 17K points. So, that’s a bargain.

The gentleman told me Amtrak has been getting a lot of cancellations for the Star. I am in Car 9212, Room 2. He told me the consist has 4 sleepers. I’m wondering if Car 9210 is the “transdorm?”9211-9214 are the “revenue” sleepers.

You figure, 5 coaches with a coach attendant apiece, lounge attendant, 2 or more diner attendants, and the conductor(s), it’d make sense to have a dedicated sleeper for the crew.

He couldn’t guarantee my car is a VL2, but if others are saying the consists state so, it looks promising..

Last edited:
who is your attendant? Are there 5 attendants (one for each car) or fewer?
I’m on the same train and from what I can tell there are at least 3. I haven’t seen 9210 or 9211 but there were attendants standing at the 12, 13, and 14 car when I boarded in Tampa.

I got a nice treat. I decided to extend my Florida vacation a couple days. I modified my reservation on 92 with the AGR phone line so I’m going from Tampa to Philadelphia, not Kissimmee. They didn’t charge me extra points—a Roomette was going for 19300 points—I only spent 17K points. So, that’s a bargain.

The gentleman told me Amtrak has been getting a lot of cancellations for the Star. I am in Car 9212, Room 2. He told me the consist has 4 sleepers. I’m wondering if Car 9210 is the “transdorm?”9211-9214 are the “revenue” sleepers.

You figure, 5 coaches with a coach attendant apiece, lounge attendant, 2 or more diner attendants, and the conductor(s), it’d make sense to have a dedicated sleeper for the crew.

He couldn’t guarantee my car is a VL2, but if others are saying the consists state so, it looks promising..
There is no Transdorm. 5 Coaches will have only two attendants. The Conductors do not have rooms.

There is no Transdorm. 5 Coaches will have only two attendants. The Conductors do not have rooms.

The agent told me 9211, 9212, 9213, 9214 were the available sleepers.

Maybe one sleeper is being taken off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back