Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that the biggest issue would be hurricane consequences. As far as the Meteor return it should be 10/3 if the lines are reopened. RPA actually asked Amtrak management about this and they stated that 10/3 is the actual planned date of Silver Meteor resumption - previous dates were estimates not set in stone. This date has a lot more going for it than previous Silver Meteor dates.

I appreciate the update. I hadn't seen that - good to know it may be more concrete. And yes of course, hurricane damage is the biggest concern. Hopefully, we'll know about that this weekend.

91, & 97 Next Monday? Only if Sun Rail in Kissimmee is fixed and tracks cleared WAS <> MIA. We do not know what Hurricane Ian is going to do from now to Monday. Then again the Tampa portion may not be fixed by Monday or in a week?

91, & 97 Next Monday? Only if Sun Rail in Kissimmee is fixed and tracks cleared WAS <> MIA. We do not know what Hurricane Ian is going to do from now to Monday. Then again the Tampa portion may not be fixed by Monday or in a week?
Silvers show cancelled in Arrow thru Thursday. Either here on AU or on FB I read the Kissimmee bridge won’t be fixed till the end of the week.

Yep, I have a ticket on 10/6 for #97, so hopefully that date holds. I presume Amtrak had notified by this point if the train was going to be pushed back? I can't recall, although I could look back in this thread too.
As of right now in the system Thursday 10/6 is the resumption date of the Meteor due to aforementioned hurricane damage.

As purely a matter of curiosity on this; and after attempting a dummy booking, it appears that 97/98 may return to service on 10/11 and 10/12 respectively. Any discussion or insights on this.

As of Monday the Star is no longer stopping in Jesup GA. This is because the Meteor is back on the schedule. Jesup will see service again once the tracks to Miami are fixed.

As purely a matter of curiosity on this; and after attempting a dummy booking, it appears that 97/98 may return to service on 10/11 and 10/12 respectively. Any discussion or insights on this.
It was scheduled to start Monday - it hasn’t due to the damage south of Orlando. It should start as soon as the tracks open. Based on the damage and the photos I’ve seen I’d be surprised if the current dates hold but you never know.

It was scheduled to start Monday - it hasn’t due to the damage south of Orlando. It should start as soon as the tracks open. Based on the damage and the photos I’ve seen I’d be surprised if the current dates hold but you never know.
It does sound like it will take a while according to this Trains’ report that announced service returning to the Sunrail Poinciana station.

“Repairs to return service to the remaining stations are expected to take several weeks. The Kissimmee area saw heavy flooding as a result of the hurricane, resulting in some track washouts

I just got a cancellation notice for 92 from Orlando next week. It looks like Amtrak isn't running the bus from Orlando to Jacksonville anymore (but strangely, the other direction is still bookable).

I just got a cancellation notice for 92 from Orlando next week. It looks like Amtrak isn't running the bus from Orlando to Jacksonville anymore (but strangely, the other direction is still bookable).
They most likely are running it but it’s not bookable - you have to call to get switched to the train/bus option. I did - it showed up as canceled and I had to call to get on the alternative train/bus setup.

They most likely are running it but it’s not bookable - you have to call to get switched to the train/bus option. I did - it showed up as canceled and I had to call to get on the alternative train/bus setup.
I also called and they were not able to help - said no bus is running.

EDIT: Guest Rewards was more helpful and they were able to book the bus/train option for 92.

Last edited:
This is getting ridiculous; they just can't make up their minds! As of now, both the Meteor & the Star are showing canceled out of KIS thru 10/14, and bookable as all train starting Sat., 10/15 -- which seems rather optimistic based on reports.

I just hope they get their brown stuff together by 10/23, when I'm booked on the Star. I already lost one trip to Ian.

This is getting ridiculous; they just can't make up their minds! As of now, both the Meteor & the Star are showing canceled out of KIS thru 10/14, and bookable as all train starting Sat., 10/15 -- which seems rather optimistic based on reports.

I just hope they get their brown stuff together by 10/23, when I'm booked on the Star. I already lost one trip to Ian.
It is not going to happen.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...repaired-by-late-october-after-hurricane-ian/

It’s out of their control. They are canceling a few days out awaiting word from SunRail for updates. If you are going between JAX and TPA they’ll put you on a bus below JAX either direction. They are running it even if the site says they aren’t - you have to Speak to an agent to get switched to the train bus combo - for the northbound direction they are only accommodating existing reservations on the bus not accepting any new which is why it doesn’t show up. If your 10/23 trip from KIS comes up as canceled call they’ll put you on a bus to JAX. Speak to an AGR agent if you have the option. They are running the train with 4 sleepers so they have plenty of room.

I just got home yesterday from the 91. They booked me on the phone to go from JAX to Orlando because that's as far as it was going. When I got off in JAX there were 2 buses, one directly to Tampa and one that went to Orlando, Kissimmee and Lakeland. He let me stay on to Lakeland.
I applaud then for doing the best they can to accommodate us.

You know, the fact that the neither the website nor the reservation clerks have their act together regarding this service disruption is a much greater indictment of Amtrak management than the fact that they're serving Flex Meals.

It’s out of their control. They are canceling a few days out awaiting word from SunRail for updates. If you are going between JAX and TPA they’ll put you on a bus below JAX either direction. They are running it even if the site says they aren’t - you have to Speak to an agent to get switched to the train bus combo - for the northbound direction they are only accommodating existing reservations on the bus not accepting any new which is why it doesn’t show up. If your 10/23 trip from KIS comes up as canceled call they’ll put you on a bus to JAX. Speak to an AGR agent if you have the option. They are running the train with 4 sleepers so they have plenty of room.
I know the track repairs are out of their control, but earlier this week they had the bus bridge bookable, and now it's not. That's what I meant by they can't make up their mind.

Who knows whether they'll change their mind again, and decide not to run the bus? That's fine, I can drive the 2 hours to JAX, but I'd like to know so I can plan. And @striker64 said 800-USARAIL told him there was no bus running, but AGR told him there was!

I know the track repairs are out of their control, but earlier this week they had the bus bridge bookable, and now it's not. That's what I meant by they can't make up their mind.

Who knows whether they'll change their mind again, and decide not to run the bus? That's fine, I can drive the 2 hours to JAX, but I'd like to know so I can plan. And @striker64 said 800-USARAIL told him there was no bus running, but AGR told him there was!
It’s something weird as usual about how they are handling it in Arrow. They are running the bus and will be until the tracks reopen.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but check this link. Time to ask for a federal directed service order for one silver service to operate on the CSX SAL line JAX - Lakeland. The other silver to Orlando.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...repaired-by-late-october-after-hurricane-ian/
Selfishly, I prefer the bus bridge; I just wish they were consistent and transparent.

I would hate to park my car at Kissimmee, board a bus to JAX, and then have the return train rerouted to Tampa, with no space available on the train to Orlando. They would still need to run a bus from Orlando to Kissimmee, or just abandon Kissimmee passengers to their own devices. SunRail is running a train/bus from Orlando to Kissimmee, but SunRail runs limited hours, infrequently during the day, and not at all on weekends.

I assume the washout is between ORL & Kissimmee, since SunRail can't get through. If the tracks south of Kissimmee are intact, perhaps they could run from Lakeland to Kissimmee, and run backwards to the turnout to Winter Haven and points south.

Yes however several put south of Tupperware as well but also some wash outs are south of Kissimmee, SunRail servicing Tupperware. Suggested ORL as train can be pulled back to Sanford for maintenance as the Sunset Limited was done. No reports of how the CSX lines are south and west of Poinciana to Tampa and MIA. If MIA not clear then no reason to extend south of JAX . On second thought do not know if CSX, Amtrak and SunRail tracks are between Debary and JAX. It is SunRail to Deland, Amtrak to Palatka, and CSX to JAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back