Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though Atlantic Coast Service to Chicago without overnight at NEC-land apparently will not be possible. I wonder what is the volume of that connected trip.

It would seem the Star’s schedule should be modified for the duration to insure connections at Washington and NYP.

Too bad if you want to get to Charleston and other SC/NC cities from GA/FL!

Last edited:
It would seem the Star’s schedule should be modified for the duration to insure connections at Washington and NYP.

Agreed. A temporary change would make sense - CSX willing of course.

If I had to travel from Charleston, Florence or Fayetteville to FL I would probably take the Palmetto to Rocky Mount and change to the Star there rather than do the switch in Savannah spending the best part of a night there. Inconvenient but not impossible.

Last edited:

The Palmetto is still running daily. They go to Charleston from Savannah

So I still have a return trip on the 98 Meteor on 2/28. I know from a simple booking search that train is no longer running. Was just curious if anyone also had a ticket on the Meteor that hasn't been updated yet. My 2/23 Meteor trip has already been switched to the Star, so I figured my return trip would be modified as well but that hasn't happened yet.

If others are still seeing Meteor tickets, great no problem. I'd really rather not try to call Amtrak right now.

I don't know if this is a knock-on effect from the weather or a staff shortage thing from covid, but I'm traveling ALB to MIA on the Silver Meteor a week from Sunday. In my inbox today was an updated "receipt" for the ticket. When I looked more closely, I noticed that I was now on the earlier Silver Star. Which sucks, due to the food situation. And the fact that I'm a night worker and don't want to start a trip before noon. No explanation, no other notice of the change. If I hadn't checked, I might not have noticed.
The Silver Meteor is suspended, so the Silver Star is the only game in town. The food service would be the same on both; flex dining.

Now that the Meteor is now off line starting today, we’ll have to wonder if we’ll now see the “Super Star.” Should be interesting to see!

Now that the Meteor is now off line starting today, we’ll have to wonder if we’ll now see the “Super Star.” Should be interesting to see!
How "Super" it is will depend on levels of occupancy over a period I suspect. Just because they are ready to make it Star+Meteor consist, does not mean there will be enough customers to fill all that and there will always be enough OBS crew available. So we'll see.

. Just because they are ready to make it Star+Meteor consist,

So, there will now be only one Silver service train between New York and Florida? How is that going to work? Will both Tampa and Miami still be served?

So, there will now be only one Silver service train between New York and Florida? How is that going to work? Will both Tampa and Miami still be served?
The Silver Star serves both Tampa & Miami. That's probably why they chose the Star over the Meteor to keep in service.
This is only happening during the temporary schedule changes made due to the staff shortages.

Today's 91 had 3 coaches and 2 sleepers. I've seen on FB that today's 92 has combined the Meteor and Star. I hope to get out tomorrow to catch it (video) on the NEC.

The Silver Star serves both Tampa & Miami. That's probably why they chose the Star over the Meteor to keep in service.
This is only happening during the temporary schedule changes made due to the staff shortages.

Thanks for the explanation. I was off the boards for a couple of days and was surprised to learn that this was happening.

Sounds like a lot of double spots. Wonder whether the Meteor's Sleepers will just be tacked on behind the Star's sleepers, making the consist VL1, VL2, VL2, VL1, VL2. Also wondering whether another food service car will be added.

When does this go into effect?

Will be curious to hear if anyone can confirm this is indeed the VL order on today’s northbound. We’re on tomorrow’s boarding in Tampa in car 9214, which I assume would mean a 2 if this holds.

Will be curious to hear if anyone can confirm this is indeed the VL order on today’s northbound. We’re on tomorrow’s boarding in Tampa in car 9214, which I assume would mean a 2 if this holds.
The sleepers are not quite in that order but 9214 is still a VL2 (at least today), reference above post

Here is today's 92 consist:

2 engines
5 coaches
1 cafe
1 diner
5 sleepers: 3 Viewliner II's (9210, 9212, 9214), 2 Viewliner I's (9211, 9213)
1 baggage
So, the sleeper order is II, I, II, I, II. Cars 10 & 11 swapped places from the normal Star. Wonder whether Amtrak swapped all the passengers, too, or just whoever was in the extra Roomette on 10. Otherwise, tough luck for those in the know who selected their car based on the expected model.

“Here is today's 92 consist:

2 engines
5 coaches
1 cafe
1 diner
1 baggage”

So, it REALLY is the “Super Star!

I wonder if this will be the same consist when I go on 92 in early March. If it is, MAJOR BUMMER! I am in Car 9211!!

I was assigned 9211 automagically by Amtrak, I didn’t specifically choose that car.

Today's 92 consist:

4 engines
5 coaches
1 cafe
1 diner
1 baggage

Identical consist to yesterday (other than there being 2 additional engines)

Last edited:
I noticed that the silver meteor is currently moving, am I missing something, or did Amtrak already backtrack on combining the star and meteor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back