Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm lost on the discussion about Viewliner Is and IIs and what the difference is. I'm on the Silver Star southbound from NYC 1/23 in 9114, and northbound from Miami on 1/27 in 9210. Can anyone tell me what that means?

I noticed that the silver meteor is currently moving, am I missing something, or did Amtrak already backtrack on combining the star and meteor?
97(18) is the last one till end of March.
98(17) was combined with 92(17).
They may have been positioning sets by running 97 on Monday & Tuesday.

I'm lost on the discussion about Viewliner Is and IIs and what the difference is. I'm on the Silver Star southbound from NYC 1/23 in 9114, and northbound from Miami on 1/27 in 9210. Can anyone tell me what that means?
The VLI has a toilet in the roomette - the VLII does not. The VLI is the older car - the VLII are new cars
And the VLII's have a few other things, like a sturdier table, more electrical outlets, and sinks that don't shoot water with the force of a jet engine.

Last edited:
I know every single individual has a different take and different feelings about all these recent train annulments due to COVID staffing. Mine is this: for the first time in my 74 years of life: there is no SILVER METEOR for two and a half months. Yes, I know that Silver Meteor has not run various days for lots of reasons; I know it ran only 4 times a week during the original COVID schedule reductions; but I grew up the the Silver Meteor as an SAL/SCL train 57/58; and Amtrak 87/88 + 97/98; and its existence today as 97/98. I am just a little sad.

Why will my trip be a bit different? Does it have to do with the incident near Lakeland that I just read about? I see the Star has been running very late the past few days.
The Star will be running with a much longer consist. It will also stop in Jesup, GA, where it normally does not stop. On FB, one of the SCAs suggested to go to dinner early because there are 5 sleepers and the diner may be crowded (and/or run out of food). Assuming you are in a sleeper, I would make a reservation to eat at the first dinner seating (before the Tampa and Orlando passengers board). I have had excellent attendants on every recent trip I have taken.

The Star will be running with a much longer consist. It will also stop in Jesup, GA, where it normally does not stop. On FB, one of the SCAs suggested to go to dinner early because there are 5 sleepers and the diner may be crowded (and/or run out of food). Assuming you are in a sleeper, I would make a reservation to eat at the first dinner seating (before the Tampa and Orlando passengers board). I have had excellent attendants on every recent trip I have taken.
Yes, I’m in a sleeper. But what’s this about dinner seatings? You mean they’re no longer doing the crappy flex dining? This is great news if I’m understanding you correctly. ;)

Yes, I’m in a sleeper. But what’s this about dinner seatings? You mean they’re no longer doing the crappy flex dining? This is great news if I’m understanding you correctly. ;)
They are still doing flex dining, but they will set a time for you to go to the diner or have your meal delivered. My use of the term "seating" was probably confusing. Sorry.

Unfortunately they still have Flex Meals for Sleeper Passengers! Amtrak claims they're improved from the previous offers, but most reviews are mixed as to whether they're worth the High Prices charged for Sleepers!

92 has 4 engines again today. I wonder if they experienced problems only running 2 engines when they first combined the consist Monday and decided to run 91/92 with 4 engines for the time being. Either that or they are moving spare locomotives up north.

They are also towing an Amfleet coach and Viewliner I sleeper behind the baggage car today.

They are still doing flex dining, but they will set a time for you to go to the diner or have your meal delivered. My use of the term "seating" was probably confusing. Sorry.

Does Amtrak have any plans to eventually bring back full service dining? I know they brought it back on the longer trains going out west. Or was flex dining just temporary on those routes due to Covid?

So officially 97/98 is out of service as of 6:53pm when 97 finally arrives at MIA.

This is sad.

Does Amtrak have any plans to eventually bring back full service dining? I know they brought it back on the longer trains going out west. Or was flex dining just temporary on those routes due to Covid?
There was flex dining on the Silvers before COVID. Eventually (maybe), traditional dining will return. I sure hope so.

And the VLII's have a few other things, like a sturdier table, more electrical outlets, and sinks that don't shoot water with the force of a jet engine.

I’m wondering if I can request a room in a VL2 for my March trip on 92. I’ve had four spinal surgeries since 2018–2 last year alone. The VL1s are real “shimmiers” though they don’t shimmy as much as Amfleet 1s. The last two trips were really rough on my back. Given the VL2 is brand new, you wouldn’t expect as much shimmying. I’m now in Car 9211, which according to other posts, is a VL1. What would you suggest?

I do have a physical disability, though I don’t use a wheelchair. I’d hate to get a H Room, though.

Heck, I can even fax my surgical histories to Amtrak to prove I’m not “cheating the system.”

I’m wondering if I can request a room in a VL2 for my March trip on 92. I’ve had four spinal surgeries since 2018–2 last year alone. The VL1s are real “shimmiers” though they don’t shimmy as much as Amfleet 1s. The last two trips were really rough on my back. Given the VL2 is brand new, you wouldn’t expect as much shimmying. I’m now in Car 9211, which according to other posts, is a VL1. What would you suggest?
You could phone and request a different car based on the current consist, but there is no guarantee that the consist will remain the same 2 months from now. And of course, there is no guarantee of a smoother ride in a V2. It may help if your room is in the middle of the car (and not above the trucks).

You could phone and request a different car based on the current consist, but there is no guarantee that the consist will remain the same 2 months from now. And of course, there is no guarantee of a smoother ride in a V2. It may help if your room is in the middle of the car (and not above the trucks).

I’ve always been in Room B or Roomettes 1 or 2. This trip, I’ll be in Roomette 4.

Why does the Star have a much longer consist? Is demand that high?

Why does the Star have a much longer consist? Is demand that high?
They're combining the cancelled Meteor (till March 28th) with the Star. Therefore, passengers that were scheduled on the Meteor before the temporary cut backs need to be accommodated on the Star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back