Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

striker64

Train Attendant
MODERATOR NOTE: Due to the number of posts pertaining to the Meteor cancellation and Star/Meteor combination, a new thread was created and posts were moved from a couple of threads to this new one (1/20/22).

I just got a new ticket for 2/23 on train 91 when I was supposed to be on 97. A booking search reveals only 91 is able to be booked that day. Also, I'm scheduled to return on 98 on 2/28, but it too is gone from booking and only 92 shows up - haven't gotten that ticket yet.

So I'm guessing the Meteor is joining the ranks of the cancellations for the next couple months?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a new ticket for 2/23 on train 91 when I was supposed to be on 97. A booking search reveals only 91 is able to be booked that day. Also, I'm scheduled to return on 98 on 2/28, but it too is gone from booking and only 92 shows up - haven't gotten that ticket yet.

So I'm guessing the Meteor is joining the ranks of the cancellations for the next couple months?
That now appears to be a distinct possibility. We of course await advice from Amtrak before announcing anything for them ;)

Looks like starting January 17th 97/98 is not available until at least March 28th. My trip on 98 was just canceled for the 17th.

I plan on rebooking on 92 for Thursday and overnighting in NYC to catch 49 and 5 (hopefully avoiding the disruptions of this winter storm)

Last edited:
Looks like starting January 17th 97/98 is not available until at least March 28th. My trip on 98 was just canceled for the 17th.

I plan on rebooking on 92 for Thursday and overnighting in NYC to catch 49 and 5 (hopefully avoiding the disruptions of this winter storm)
Yes. I verified that 97/98 are not available between 1/17 and 3/27 inclusive.. My reservation on 97 to ALX on 3/26 to attend the RPA Council Meeting has been changed to 92. Just got an update on the e-Ticket. My trip back on the 3/30 by 97 remains unchanged.

The way the Sleeper prices on 91/92 have suddenly dropped suggests that it is getting additional Sleeper(s) during this period.

Yes. I verified that 97/98 are not available between 1/17 and 3/27 inclusive.. My reservation on 97 to ALX on 3/26 to attend the RPA Council Meeting has been changed to 92. Just got an update on the e-Ticket. My trip back on the 3/30 by 97 remains unchanged.

The way the Sleeper prices on 91/92 have suddenly dropped suggests that it is getting additional Sleeper(s) during this period.
I can confirm the additional sleepers. I just rebooked on 92 and my car assignment is 9212, so there will be at least 3.

I just got an email from Amtrak. Apparently they changed my reservation without my knowledge. I was originally going on the Meteor (98) from Kissimmee to Philadelphia in early March. Now, they’ve booked me on the Star (92) which leaves almost 6 hours later than the Meteor. What’s this about??

I tried booking from Kissimmee and only The Star is showing. Weird.

Last edited:
I just got an email from Amtrak. Apparently they changed my reservation without my knowledge. I was originally going on the Meteor (98) from Kissimmee to Philadelphia in early March. Now, they’ve booked me on the Star (92) which leaves almost 6 hours later than the Meteor. What’s this about??
97/98 (Silver Meteor) has been canceled through at least March 28th. Only 91/92 (Star) will run during that time.

Are they doing track work between Savannah and Richmond again? Last February, I rode the Meteor down and we putsyed through South Carolina at 25-30 mph much of the time.

I was able to modify the Philadelphia-Elizabethtown portion to Train 655. It’s a good thing I don’t work the following day (Saturday)!!

Are they doing track work between Savannah and Richmond again? Last February, I rode the Meteor down and we putsyed through South Carolina at 25-30 mph much of the time.

I was able to modify the Philadelphia-Elizabethtown portion to Train 655. It’s a good thing I don’t work the following day (Saturday)!!
It was mentioned in a RPA email as being one of the trains affected by staffing shortages. Almost all (if not all) other long distance trains are being cut back to 5 days a week rather than daily as well.

It was mentioned in a RPA email as being one of the trains affected by staffing shortages. Almost all (if not all) other long distance trains are being cut back to 5 days a week rather than daily as well.

I wonder if that means the Star will be the “Star-Lette” again. When I rode 91 down back in September, it only had 2 coaches, 2 sleepers, lounge, diner (for sleepers) and baggage. Normally the Star runs with at least 4 coaches!

I’m assigned Car 9211. On 91, I was in 9110. Any difference?

I wonder if that means the Star will be the “Star-Lette” again. When I rode 91 down back in September, it only had 2 coaches, 2 sleepers, lounge, diner (for sleepers) and baggage. Normally the Star runs with at least 4 coaches!

It is my understanding that the Star will pick up at least a portion of the Meteor's consist to make up for the lost space. I am on 9212 for my trip that I had to rebook, and the Star usually only has 2 sleepers. This suggests there will be at least 3.

9211 (usually the last sleeper in the consist) is a Viewliner II (the newer cars) on most current trainsets, but with the larger consist it may be different. 9110 is usually a Viewliner I (older).

We have heard from reliable sources within Amtrak that the Star will be running with 5 Coaches and 5 Sleepers. It will be a long train. And yes it will add a stop in Jasup which normally the Meteor stops at but not the Star.

It is quite likely that the Star will be a much longer train than it was previously. When It was running with 2 sleepers, the first sleeper was a V1 and the second was a V2. With more than 2 sleepers (possibly 5 sleepers), we will have to see which ones are V1 and V2 and if the consist is consistent.

We have heard from reliable sources within Amtrak that the Star will be running with 5 Coaches and 5 Sleepers. It will be a long train. And yes it will add a stop in Jasup which normally the Meteor stops at but not the Star.
Sounds like a lot of double spots. Wonder whether the Meteor's Sleepers will just be tacked on behind the Star's sleepers, making the consist VL1, VL2, VL2, VL1, VL2. Also wondering whether another food service car will be added.

When does this go into effect?

Reactions: Cal
Sounds like a lot of double spots. Wonder whether the Meteor's Sleepers will just be tacked on behind the Star's sleepers, making the consist VL1, VL2, VL2, VL1, VL2. Also wondering whether another food service car will be added.

When does this go into effect?
97/98 cancelations start Monday.

No more connections from FL to CHI. The Star is scheduled to arrive in WAS one hour before the Cap Ltd departs. Requesting ORL to CHI on the website says no same-day connections are available.

The return trip is a 2-hour connection. Ya' pays yer money and ya' takes yer chances.

It is quite likely that the Star will be a much longer train than it was previously. When It was running with 2 sleepers, the first sleeper was a V1 and the second was a V2. With more than 2 sleepers (possibly 5 sleepers), we will have to see which ones are V1 and V2 and if the consist is consistent.

So, we’ll have to call it the “Super Star!”

2021 and 2022 have seen a myriad of unusual Amtrak consists:

1.The “Big Meteor” in February 2021. 6 coaches, 2 baggage cars, 3 sleepers, a diner, and lounge.
2. The “Texas Eaglet” 2 coaches, 1 CCC, two sleepers and one measly engine. Sometimes the “Eaglet” only had one sleeper!
3. The Star-Lette” September 2021–2 coaches, 1 lounge, 1 diner, 2 sleepers, and a baggage.

4. The “Coast Starlite” September 2021–2 sleepers, no baggage, 1 business class, diner, SSL, and 2 coaches.

“And a partridge in a pear tree.”

I don't know if this is a knock-on effect from the weather or a staff shortage thing from covid, but I'm traveling ALB to MIA on the Silver Meteor a week from Sunday. In my inbox today was an updated "receipt" for the ticket. When I looked more closely, I noticed that I was now on the earlier Silver Star. Which sucks, due to the food situation. And the fact that I'm a night worker and don't want to start a trip before noon. No explanation, no other notice of the change. If I hadn't checked, I might not have noticed.

I don't know if this is a knock-on effect from the weather or a staff shortage thing from covid, but I'm traveling ALB to MIA on the Silver Meteor a week from Sunday. In my inbox today was an updated "receipt" for the ticket. When I looked more closely, I noticed that I was now on the earlier Silver Star. Which sucks, due to the food situation. And the fact that I'm a night worker and don't want to start a trip before noon. No explanation, no other notice of the change. If I hadn't checked, I might not have noticed.
Meteor is cancelled starting on the 17th through end of March.

So, a couple of questions. Is the Silver Star not the one with the lesser meal service? If so, why run that instead of the Meteor? Since they pushed me from the Meteor to the Star, why am I being charged the same? Doesn't the Meteor usually cost more because meals are included?

So, a couple of questions. Is the Silver Star not the one with the lesser meal service? If so, why run that instead of the Meteor? Since they pushed me from the Meteor to the Star, why am I being charged the same? Doesn't the Meteor usually cost more because meals are included?
The Star and the Meteor have the same meal service.

Meal service was restored to the Star in mid-2021 at the latest AFAIR. Now the Star and the Meteor have the same meal service and same fare buckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back