Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OUCH! My reservation on 98 is for October 2nd (connecting to 49). Back to the drawing board.
I'm booked on 9/27, connecting to 29. I'll ask if they'll move me to early Oct. with no increase, but a lot of 30's are sold out of Accessible Bedrooms the 1st week of Oct. It's a good thing I got a cancellable hotel ressie.

Is the AGR line still closing at 7pm, or did they change it to 9pm?

I'm booked on 9/27, connecting to 29. I'll ask if they'll move me to early Oct. with no increase, but a lot of 30's are sold out of Accessible Bedrooms the 1st week of Oct. It's a good thing I got a cancellable hotel ressie.

Is the AGR line still closing at 7pm, or did they change it to 9pm?
I think it is open until 8pm

Scheduled to take Silver Star from Orlando to Washington DC in 2 weeks. Any recent Simver Star passengers here to tell me for sure about current dining car. We have a roomette. I read somewhere Traditional menu was back but most are saying it's the Flex menu right now. Also, anyone know about 5 day parking at Orlando Station? Thanks.

Scheduled to take Silver Star from Orlando to Washington DC in 2 weeks. Any recent Simver Star passengers here to tell me for sure about current dining car. We have a roomette. I read somewhere Traditional menu was back but most are saying it's the Flex menu right now. Also, anyone know about 5 day parking at Orlando Station? Thanks.
Flex dining

If there are spaces in the Orlando Station, you should be able to park for 5 days (although I would not). The station is not in the best area and I have seen vandalism to cars. However, I have left my car in the lot for a few nights years ago. If you leave your car, you will need to go in the station and get a permit for your car. The attendant will instruct you as to where you should park. Now that there are no rental cars at the station, there are more available parking spaces, but it is a small lot that could be crowded the hour prior to the train arriving.

My prediction...Silver Meteor is history. 5 coaches and 5 sleepers, along with a cafe car, "dining" car, and baggage car, once a day each way, has been working just fine with Amtrak's bottom line.

My prediction...Silver Meteor is history. 5 coaches and 5 sleepers, along with a cafe car, "dining" car, and baggage car, once a day each way, has been working just fine with Amtrak's bottom line.
Or maybe they did not get enough qualified people for the jobs that need to be filled before it can run. Or some of the hired people decided to leave once they started classes and decided they did not want the job after all.

SS does not make any connections -- zip -- none. Other service resumptions scheduled for 9/22 have also been rescheduled to 10/22.

I think that would also be in violation of the Congressional mandate against service reductions.

Last edited:
I doubt the SM is gone. If they didn’t discontinue traditional dining, I don’t think they’d discontinue a whole train and screw all the communities it serves, the connections it serves, and the employees along the route (although they can be moved elsewhere).

I noticed that the Amtrak website and booking engine would allow sleeping car reservations on the Silver Meteor resuming 10/03/2022. Could those of you who seem to be the most knowledgeable of the Silvers scheduling comment on this actually happening. As a railfan for my entire 74 years of life, my favorite "just to ride" trip is still SAV-WAS-SAV departing on 92, spend a few hours in WAS Union Station. and then same day return on 97.

My October 2nd reservation was still in my account. I phoned AGR, and was able to speak to an agent after about a 15 minute hold. Since I was connecting from 98 to 49 in NYP, changing to 92 the same day would not work. I changed my reservation to 92 on the previous day (with same accommodation and no extra points) and plan to spend the night in NYC (which will cost me $$$).
I did the same. I'm not happy about paying $200 for a hotel in Washington, but I think the alternative was to delay the trip a couple of weeks, and, looking at WU's calendar, by the 2nd week of October Washington is getting into winter temperatures.

While I was on the phone, I also changed my departure from ORL to KIS, after seeing your post about parking at ORL and deciding you were right. :) It's an extra 30 minute or so drive time, but I feel safer leaving my car for a week in the Kissimmee Intermodal Parking Ramp (I won't call it a garage, seeing as it's unattended.)

If you're willing to make the drive, Kissimmee has an unattended parking ramp at the station. It's primarily for SunRail, but the Amtrak ticket agent will give you a piece of paper to put on your dash for extended parking.

The station house is not as nice as Orlando, although it does have some old-fashioned small-town charm, with a limited amount of seating. And there are several restaurants within walking distance, whereas there is nothing but industrial buildings and hospitals around the ORL station.

Reactions: jis
My October 2nd reservation was still in my account. I phoned AGR, and was able to speak to an agent after about a 15 minute hold. Since I was connecting from 98 to 49 in NYP, changing to 92 the same day would not work. I changed my reservation to 92 on the previous day (with same accommodation and no extra points) and plan to spend the night in NYC (which will cost me $$$).
Same here!
I waited awhile, but it was pretty seamless once I got someone on the line.
I am originating from KIN, so I technically still have the option to do same day and transfer to 91 in WAS...but with only a 37 minute layover I don't want to chance it. Also switching at NYP instead saves me 4 hours on the NER and gets me on 91 sooner.
I'll do the first segment the day before and crash at the New Yorker, which is an easy walk from Moynihan Train Hall. (Side note if you book through Amtrak Hotels and Cars site there's a nice points bonus for that hotel!)

I did the same. I'm not happy about paying $200 for a hotel in Washington, but I think the alternative was to delay the trip a couple of weeks, and, looking at WU's calendar, by the 2nd week of October Washington is getting into winter temperatures.

While I was on the phone, I also changed my departure from ORL to KIS, after seeing your post about parking at ORL and deciding you were right. :) It's an extra 30 minute or so drive time, but I feel safer leaving my car for a week in the Kissimmee Intermodal Parking Ramp (I won't call it a garage, seeing as it's unattended.) I also switched to KIS, just to check it out-I always do ORL so I'm curious!

I also switched to KIS, just to check it out-I always do ORL so I'm curious!

There are 2 small waiting rooms that are lined with historic railroad photos, so be sure to step into them for a few minutes.
Most older Stations in the South had more than one Waiting Room.

This was due to Segregation ( the Seperate Area for Black's included the Restrooms and Water Fountains)and most Major Stations even had a Ladies Waiting Room and Lounge.

It looks like the re-introduction of Silver Meteor has been pushed back to October 3 (Monday).

I had a reservation on it on Sept 17. I just got notified of being moved to Silver Star.

Upon checking with test bookings I find that the first day the Meteor 98 is available from Florida to NY is on Oct 3. First day of 97 is also Oct 3.

Sigh. I optimistically booked a trip on the Meteor for mid-November and I refuse to ride the Star (which was again 15 hours late yesterday…err today into Miami).

Sigh. I optimistically booked a trip on the Meteor for mid-November and I refuse to ride the Star (which was again 15 hours late yesterday…err today into Miami).
You should be OK in November unless things go pear shaped and cause further slippage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back