Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the prices they are charging they need to reconsider that asap. Microwave dinners is not what people paying the premium prices for sleeper accommodations will tolerate for very long. As a kid that was one of the high points of our family train trips from NY to Florida. This is our first trip by train in many years. Marie Calendar doesn't cut it. And they wonder why ridership is down.
The customers have seemed to be tolerating it since 2019. Trains are commonly sold out, even with the high prices. We have no idea yet what the high prices have done to the revenue side of the equation, but if the sleepers are filling up at those prices, it's probably very good for the bottom line.

Remember, the only other choices are (1) flying in cramped quarters with TSA and no food service, (2)riding the bus, which are even more cramped, and which have few, if any direct runs from the northeast to Florida, so you might have to be changing buses at inconvenient places and inconvenient times, and (3) driving your own car, which is more expensive than most people think and which involves dealing with I-95, one of the most stressful roads in the country. On the other hand, even with substandard flex meals, if you take a sleeper train, you have your own private room where you can sleep horizontally, isolated from other passengers who might be infectious with who-knows-what, and, it's usually pretty quiet, and however much we complain and nitpick here, it's more comfortable and relaxing than any of the alternatives. I suppose if I absolutely didn't have enough money to afford a sleeper, and I needed to get to Florida, I'd ride coach on the train, and just pack my own meals for the 24 hour trip.

There is also the Auto-Train which does serve traditional dining car meals to the sleeper passengers and eliminates the need to rent a car when you get to Florida. But in that case, you have to make your way to Lorton, braving Washington DC area traffic, and you get dropped off at Sanford, requiring a couple hundred mile drive if your destination is in south Florida.

Last edited:
I saw train 92 pass north of downtown Orlando this evening. The consist was more or less the usual except it appeared that sleeper 9214 was a V1 and not a VII (as usual).

I saw train 92 pass north of downtown Orlando this evening. The consist was more or less the usual except it appeared that sleeper 9214 was a V1 and not a VII (as usual).
Noticed crecent train 19 (14) had 2 VLII instead of VLI so not sure if that had anything to do with it

I just saw today's 92 just north of downtown Orlando and it appeared (but I could be wrong) that there were 6 coaches instead of the usual 5. Also, I am almost positive that 9213 sleeper was a VII instead of the "normal" Viewliner I. Otherwise the consist appeared to be "usual."

I just saw today's 92 just north of downtown Orlando and it appeared (but I could be wrong) that there were 6 coaches instead of the usual 5. Also, I am almost positive that 9213 sleeper was a VII instead of the "normal" Viewliner I. Otherwise the consist appeared to be "usual."
It might have been a deadhead. It's obvious when a diner or sleeper is deadheading behind the engines, but when there's a coach, there's nothing separating it from the in-service coaches.

Was in a the roomette on 91 South NYP to Miami last week I have the V1 which was fine with me. There were alot of sleeper cars. The diner and cafe car was just after i was told it was just for people with rooms. Then the coach car had a diner and a cafe car separate.I walked up at meals water and sodas which is included in the fare. I didnt venture on the train any further. Am i correct about the separate diner/cafe?

Was in a the roomette on 91 South NYP to Miami last week I have the V1 which was fine with me. There were alot of sleeper cars. The diner and cafe car was just after i was told it was just for people with rooms. Then the coach car had a diner and a cafe car separate.I walked up at meals water and sodas which is included in the fare. I didnt venture on the train any further. Am i correct about the separate diner/cafe?
There's 1 diner, and one cafe car. The diner, which precedes the first sleeper, is currently open to sleeper passengers only. The cafe, which is between the last coach and the diner, is open to all.

Today's 92 appeared to be its "normal" consist when I saw it just north of downtown Orlando.

Thanks for posting the normal consist. I assume 91 is the same. I have a roomette next month in 9110 and actually prefer a VL II so I'll call an see if I can switch to 9111.
Just to be clear 9110 is a VL-II and 9111 is a VL-I. So if you like VL-II you need not change. OTOH if what you said is a typo then you do need to change ;)

9211 is a V1. More room by far in a roomette. That overhead storage is big enough to accommodate 2 med sized suitcases and a duffle or backpack. There is also more space for upper bunk to ceiling. VII roomettes are smaller without as much storage space. If you can ignore the commode, the VI is the better choice for 2 travelers in a roomette.

So i can't read this entire thread, but if im booking at the end of January 2023, are the trains correct that the Amtrak site is showing, or is one still not running?

So i can't read this entire thread, but if im booking at the end of January 2023, are the trains correct that the Amtrak site is showing, or is one still not running?
The Silver Meteor is slated to start running again in early October...but this could change....

If you book on the Meteor and they still haven't gotten it running by then, you'll be rebooked on the Star, as the total number of sleepers on the Star & the Meteor together is the same as on the combined version of the Star.

If you're making a connection which is not possible on the Star, you can either request a refund, or extend your trip to include an overnight at a connection point. Amtrak will honor the fare you originally booked, but the extra night's lodging will be at your own expense.

Was in 9210h on 8/4 from fla to NYC

the door button would not work so had to slide the door manually which was very hard esp for a handicapped person not to mention unsafe

the thermastat in room disabled theyvsaid all were and never were to work

the call button was pressed for help and never responded to and remained on the entire trip a leve after i yelled ata passing stewart to help me (he never turned light off

toliet was broken and sink leaked

hoping i get old car on way back on 8/11 as ill broken would be expected on those cars and but room much more roomy and toliet is in its own room o dont have to stare at it for 29 hours

Was in 9210h on 8/4 from fla to NYC

the door button would not work so had to slide the door manually which was very hard esp for a handicapped person not to mention unsafe

the thermastat in room disabled theyvsaid all were and never were to work

the call button was pressed for help and never responded to and remained on the entire trip a leve after i yelled ata passing stewart to help me (he never turned light off

toliet was broken and sink leaked

hoping i get old car on way back on 8/11 as ill broken would be expected on those cars and but room much more roomy and toliet is in its own room o dont have to stare at it for 29 hours
Yes, it does seem that the new sleepers are not holding up well. I had problems with the H-room door in both directions of a June trip.

A broken toilet and a non-functioning call button are major issues in a handicapped room. I probably would have asked to be moved to a different car. Of course, if you're in a chair, it would need to be done at a station using the wheelchair lift.

You should call Amtrak and ask the agent to connect you specifically to "Customer Relations". I think you are entitled to some consideration.

Also, if you're currently booked in car 9110, 9112, or 9114, ask Customer Relations to rebook you in 9111 or 9113, as those are usually the old sleepers. There should be no change in fare, even if the current fare is higher than what you originally booked.

Last edited:
This is the reason that while all the VL-IIs are deployed, fewer of them are available in actual service on a typical day. This BTW is not a new or developing problem. Very early in their deployment I traveled in one that had no toilets working and we were instructed to use the other VL-II toilets. This was on the Star.

We will be taking the Star north from FL to BAL in November. Is there anything different from a year ago? Are more Viewliner II in service?

Any input appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back