Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The red exclamation point appeared on the app while I was waiting for AGR callback. Agent confirmed that 9712 & 9812 cars have been deleted; I didn't think to ask for how long.
I heard "through the grapeviine" that the Meteor 12 cars will return in time for Thanksgiving travel. However, I do not think I would totally rely on that information.

We are booked on the 9811 on 12/2. So far no changes but that is still a ways off.
Shouldn't be a problem either way. If Penny's sources are right, the train will be back to full length by then. And if it's not, at least so far, only the xx12 cars are affected, not the xx11's.

But the way things have been going, nothing is for sure.

The Silver Service should be the most patronized long-distance route in the country. Amtrak, in prime season. could probably fill four of them. Ditto the full dining car service. I love trains, but the current situation has me swearing off rail for the near future.

We're booked on 10/15 Car 9710 - Room xx......what do y'all think about that one?
No one knows for sure, but the rumors are that the 12 cars were being removed from the Meteor and you are in the 10 car. I am in 9811 and 9110 the first week in October and I feel somewhat secure, but not secure enough to make a non-refundable hotel reservation. Also, October is in hurricane season and if winds are strong and CSX "closes" the tracks, Amtrak will cancel trains.

I visit the Ashland VA site frequently primarily because of the shear number of Amtrak trains through Ashland (the Silvers + about 20 others a day I think).
Plus the Auto Train. I have a bit of fun guessing when a non-stop train will go though Ashland. If running on time, the Star would be around 5 pm, and the Meteor around 9:15 pm.

Plus the Auto Train. I have a bit of fun guessing when a non-stop train will go though Ashland. If running on time, the Star would be around 5 pm, and the Meteor around 9:15 pm.
It always seemed like the most watched trains on the Virtual Railfan site in Ashland VA were #53 Auto Train @ about 0630p and #97 Silver Meteor @ about 0915p. Not being a current member of Virtual Railfan, I watched # 97 almost every night on YouTube. #97 has been annulled for some time now. I am still curious about the "criminal activity" that caused the Ashland site to be removed from YouTube access.

Again, I saw train 92 just north of ORL this evening and it has the same "reduced" consist with only 4 sleepers (V2, V1, V2, V1) together with 5 coaches, cafe and diner/sleeper lounge.

It always seemed like the most watched trains on the Virtual Railfan site in Ashland VA were #53 Auto Train @ about 0630p and #97 Silver Meteor @ about 0915p. Not being a current member of Virtual Railfan, I watched # 97 almost every night on YouTube. #97 has been annulled for some time now. I am still curious about the "criminal activity" that caused the Ashland site to be removed from YouTube access.
Ashland is still on YouTube.

Have there been any updates on this?

Thanks!
I have a reservation on the Silver Meteor for 10/3 (the first day the Meteor is scheduled to run) and last time I checked, my reservation is still valid. (However, a hurricane could change that).

I hope 97 starts up again. It was a nightly function to watch it pass through Ashland VA around 9:15 pm (if running on-time)

I hope 97 starts up again. It was a nightly function to watch it pass through Ashland VA around 9:15 pm (if running on-time).
joe from PA: I am with you. Like clockwork I would log in to Virtual Rail Ashland to see #97 almost every night. Seems most attention is focused on the Auto Train #53 through Ashland at about 6PM. The Silver Meteor has been my favorite train (as an SAL and SCL train + Amtrak) for a good part of my 75 years of life and 300,000 rail miles. I, too, have missed it these past nine months.

Yep, I have a ticket on 10/6 for #97, so hopefully that date holds. I presume Amtrak had notified by this point if the train was going to be pushed back? I can't recall, although I could look back in this thread too.

Yep, I have a ticket on 10/6 for #97, so hopefully that date holds. I presume Amtrak had notified by this point if the train was going to be pushed back? I can't recall, although I could look back in this thread too.
I would say that the biggest issue would be hurricane consequences. As far as the Meteor return it should be 10/3 if the lines are reopened. RPA actually asked Amtrak management about this and they stated that 10/3 is the actual planned date of Silver Meteor resumption - previous dates were estimates not set in stone. This date has a lot more going for it than previous Silver Meteor dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back