Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why alternate transportation is not provide to South Florida?
No but Amtrak has stated in other recent similar situations that they have not always been able to secure busses as of late due to lesser charter bus availability with charter companies having similar staffing shortages. Whether or not it’s true in this case I don’t know but just sharing a possibility.

No but Amtrak has stated in other recent similar situations that they have not always been able to secure busses as of late due to lesser charter bus availability with charter companies having similar staffing shortages. Whether or not it’s true in this case I don’t know but just sharing a possibility.
I suspect it's true as I was in FL last week and the Mears Connect buses from the airport to Disney resorts were few and far between. I did also wonder if maybe some of their buses were damaged in the flooding from Ian since this was the Sunday after the storm hit.

I suspect it's true as I was in FL last week and the Mears Connect buses from the airport to Disney resorts were few and far between. I did also wonder if maybe some of their buses were damaged in the flooding from Ian since this was the Sunday after the storm hit.
It makes sense charter companies take reservations many months out. Amtrak bus bridges require last minute arrangements, usually require multiple busses. and in situations like this require them every day for an extended period. It’s not hard to see why they may run into problems these days.

Or the staff called out to deal with the damage at there house. Got to give people a break some may of lost there house and have priority cleaning, recover over tourists.

Last edited:
Silver Star will resume south of Jacksonville tomorrow. Todays 91 will run to Miami and tomorrows 92 will originate MIa. Meteor 97 resumed tomorrow 98 Sunday.
Is this from a reliable source?

If the tracks are back in service, it seems odd that there's still no announcement from SunRail either on their home page or in the local news.

Is this from a reliable source?

If the tracks are back in service, it seems odd that there's still no announcement from SunRail either on their home page or in the local news.
SunRail does not have to announce anything until near the end of the weekend since they do not have any weekend service. The first service of theirs affected would be on Monday.

But of course I have been trained in a Pavlovian way to distrust Amtrak to the point that I don't believe any more that any of their LD trains will run with my appointed accommodation on it, until it actually starts running :D So we'll see, fingers crossed. That is also why I don't travel by Amtrak LD service anymore, at least for the time being, since I don't want to deal with this level of uncertainty.

SunRail does not have to announce anything until near the end of the weekend since they do not have any weekend service. The first service of theirs affected would be on Monday.

But of course I have been trained in a Pavlovian way to distrust Amtrak to the point that I don't believe any more that any of their LD trains will run with my appointed accommodation on it, until it actually starts runnign :D So we'll see, fingers crossed. That is also why I don't travel by Amtrak LD service anymore, at least for the time being, since I don't want to deal with this level of uncertainty.
True they don't have to, but I'd think they would want to blow their trumpet about restoring service.

As to your 2nd point -- that's why I asked if there was a reliable source.

True they don't have to, but I'd think they would want to blow their trumpet about restoring service.

As to your 2nd point -- that's why I asked if there was a reliable source.
Is there any, including Amtrak's own PR department? Cynical? Moi?

It’s running and was never canceled south of Jacksonville for today’s departure. Sadly it appears to be a splendid first day. 91 is delayed departing NYP due to mechanical difficulties.
So I assume today's 91 is still the 4-sleeper version. I'm eagerly waiting for the first 2-sleeper 91 & 97 to pass Ashland tomorrow, so I can see whether I'll be in VL I's or VL II's on my trip next week.

Last edited:
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...BivUvYLW7eNN1gQs44lbq2PwrX2BiTn0RUn4Q8kz2EelI
Trains magazine on this. Unfortunately as they sometimes do they exaggerated the facts in the belly aching part of the article. Obviously the situation of Amtrak sleeper capacity certainly warrants some commentary/critical analysis but I think when publishing opinion in such a public forum one should check facts and avoid exaggeration in order to make a point. Trains made this comment: However, the addition of the second “Silver Service” train will result in a net loss of sleeping-car capacity. That’s not really an accurate take of the situation. The Silver Star already reduced to four sleepers weeks ago. The addition of the second train is not changing sleeper capacity. Don’t get my wrong they ought to bring back the third sleeper but Trains ought to do a better job fact checking their articles stick to the facts and avoid exaggerating situations. Perhaps they were unaware of the reduction to 4 sleepers on the Star, but They should have been able to find that out pretty easily.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...BivUvYLW7eNN1gQs44lbq2PwrX2BiTn0RUn4Q8kz2EelI
Trains magazine on this. Unfortunately as they sometimes do they exaggerated the facts in the belly aching part of the article. Obviously the situation of Amtrak sleeper capacity certainly warrants some commentary/critical analysis but I think when publishing opinion in such a public forum one should check facts and avoid exaggeration in order to make a point. Trains made this comment: However, the addition of the second “Silver Service” train will result in a net loss of sleeping-car capacity. That’s not really an accurate take of the situation. The Silver Star already reduced to four sleepers weeks ago. The addition of the second train is not changing sleeper capacity. Don’t get my wrong they ought to bring back the third sleeper but Trains ought to do a better job fact checking their articles stick to the facts and avoid exaggerating situations. Perhaps they were unaware of the reduction to 4 sleepers on the Star, but They should have been able to find that out pretty easily.
He also got his dates wrong. First, he says the Meteor "returns today", which would be 10/14. Later, he says it will resume from NYP on 10/16, and from MIA on 10/17. Wrong in both cases, if we're to believe Amtrak's notice which says it will depart NYP on 10/15 and MIA on 10/16.

So 91(14) came thru Ashland with
  • 4 engines,
  • 2 baggage cars,
  • 5 coaches,
  • 1 Cafe,
  • 1 Diner, and
  • 4 sleepers.
I suppose those will all be divvied up between 92 & 98 on 10/16.

But I do hope that they have an extra Cafe & Diner in MIA, and that they're not planning to serve coach and sleeper passengers from a single Cafe on 1 train, and a single Diner on the other.

I’m sure Ashland cam will have a turnout this evening! I wouldn’t be surprised if I tune in from aboard 52. Too bad this couldn’t all have occurred just one day earlier and I’d have been all set with my original plans. 😞 Though I guess the silver lining is the traditional dining car meal I’ll have for dinner instead of flex and getting an unplanned chance to go to my favorite restaurant in Sanford for lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back