Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, all this is pretty much water under the bridge with only 4 months to go.
Quibble: Apr-Sep = 5 months (or 4.63 if you take it down to the day level), which doubles what it would have been if they restored service on May 23.

I understand they can't make everyone happy, but I still resent getting the short end of the stick. 6 days RT travel time to CHI instead of 4 days, with 3 nights at the destination, means 9 nights away from home, which is pushing it for me -- and for my cat.

Quibble: Apr-Sep = 5 months (or 4.63 if you take it down to the day level), which doubles what it would have been if they restored service on May 23.
Thanks for the correction. Corrected in the original post.

My point was that things are unlikely to change between now and then, and of course I could yet be proved wrong. There are 5 months for that to come to pass 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps one of you can explain why they did not go back to the original "Covid schedule"...namely running the Star on Fri/Sat/Sun, and the Meteor on Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs? We made our travel plans based on the fact that we did not want to "visit" Tampa, plus spend an extra 4 hours on the Star.

Perhaps one of you can explain why they did not go back to the original "Covid schedule"...namely running the Star on Fri/Sat/Sun, and the Meteor on Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs? We made our travel plans based on the fact that we did not want to "visit" Tampa, plus spend an extra 4 hours on the Star.
@jis said this earlier in this thread:

"I don't think in this case there is any solution that does not cause pain to someone or the other. The four days Meteor, three days Star was tried in the previous cutbacks and apparently did not work that well either, specifically related to serving Tampa, and Raleigh. Given the passenger loads that it is carrying it is not clear that this one was that bad a decision."

Would running the Star & Meteor on alternate days, or modifying the Star's schedule by a couple of hours to enable connections, change the crew requirements? (My knowledge of crew requirements is admittedly lacking.)

They did it during Covid, they can do it now.

good idea alt days that would make everyone happy and hope theybdo ot before my travel in august

question in looking at pbotos of new handicap bedroom on 92 seem we ha e to look at toloet whole time ? is tbier a or something to block it ?

question in looking at pbotos of new handicap bedroom on 92 seem we ha e to look at toloet whole time ? is tbier a or something to block it ?
Yes, the toilet in the Viewliner II H-room is out in the open, in the corner of the room. Also, the sink is right next to the head of the bed. It made me nervous, so I slept with my head towards the window. But the room does have a nice, spacious roll-in shower.

Note: do not reverse the mattress! The seats do not fold down completely flat, so the mattress is wedge-shaped to compensate. I tried reversing it, and found myself rolling off the bed. :oops: If you want to sleep the other way around, leave the mattress where it is and just remake the sheets.

Trains 91 & 92 have a mix of VL I and VL II cars, so if you'd prefer to have the old-style H-room you can phone Amtrak and request to be moved to one of the cars that are usually VL I's: they are cars 9x11 & 9x13. Cars 9x10, 9x12, & 9x14 are usually VL II's.

thanks im in 9110 and 9210 so guess im in new ... the old one were very dated and malfunctiomed alot (heat /air lights toliet beds sink ) and were so worn and dirty so not sure if i should request old .... i loved old one tbough as far as lay out ( enclosed toliet sink and shower ) and room was just so spacious and two windows (one saw hall bit still lol
thanks for info

I am traveling end of May on the 91 train in a bedroom on 9111... so a little disappointed to know it will most likely be a VL 1. Although since it is a bedroom we at least don't have to sleep with a toilet in the same room. It seems like the fact that they are only running the Silver Star now there would be extra VL II cars from the Meteor allowing for all the sleepers to be updated... so does anyone know why that is not the case? I am new to train travel... so maybe there is something I don't understand.

I am traveling end of May on the 91 train in a bedroom on 9111... so a little disappointed to know it will most likely be a VL 1. Although since it is a bedroom we at least don't have to sleep with a toilet in the same room. It seems like the fact that they are only running the Silver Star now there would be extra VL II cars from the Meteor allowing for all the sleepers to be updated... so does anyone know why that is not the case? I am new to train travel... so maybe there is something I don't understand.
The Meteor's sleepers have been added to the combined train as you suggested.
Total sleepersVL IVL II
Star211
Meteor312
Combined Star523
If there are more VL II's available and road-ready, I don't know why Amtrak has not replaced the 2 VL I's on the Star; maybe it's a wink to those who prefer a toilet in their Roomette.

In any case, it's very possible that there are unsold VL II bedrooms on your train. Put the date and start and end stations into the booking page and see if any bedrooms are still available. If there are, you can call Amtrak and ask if they are in cars 10, 12, or 14, and if so, ask to be moved to one of those cars. It should be possible with no additional fare. If the phone rep says there would be a fare increase, ask to speak to a supervisor, or call again in the hopes of getting a more cooperative rep.

Last edited:
Since coach passengers cannot use the diner, why not splice it somewhere in the middle and make it a shorter walk for passengers if they’re in the fourth or fifth sleeper. Also would reduce foot traffic if you’re now in the sleeper next to the diner.
They might want to keep food service cars together. Also creates a good barrier between coach and sleeping cars, as there are generally crew in there that can ensure coach passengers don't go wondering into sleepers.

I don't know how to ask a question on this site. I need to know if Amtrak has checked bag service from Fort Lauderdale to Philadelphia. Thanks
Yes they do, on their Silver Star service. Each passenger is allowed two carry-on bags (larger dimensions than airplanes) and two checked bags as long as the train, origin, and destination accepts checked baggage, which in this case they do. You can also pay $20 each bag for up to two additional checked bags.

Here's the link to the baggage policies.

I noticed that this forum thread has been relatively quiet for several days, so I thought I would "wake it up"! I am the railfan who gets the urge to ride every couple of months--in the sleepers usually overnight outbound and immediate turnaround overnight return. Usually ride ATN-WAS-ATN on the Crescent; spend time in Washington Union Station and Metropolitan Lounge and return same day. The Crescent's later schedule for the last year and continuing inconsistent on-time performance and "inconsistent" on-board service has made that trip seem less desirable lately. Although I miss the Silver Meteor, I am enamored with the size and consist of 91/92 "Super Star" and am contemplating driving to SAV to board it next.
I would be interested in knowing from patrons in this forum who have travelled on 91/92 lately a brief opinion of the service level with five sleepers normally in the consist. I know "same day" turnaround in WAS is now not legal connection on 91/92. Also note that I am a railfan usually just on the train because I want to be on the train--and will forgive some--I repeat "some"-- anomalies and inconsistencies. Thanks!

I noticed that this forum thread has been relatively quiet for several days, so I thought I would "wake it up"! I am the railfan who gets the urge to ride every couple of months--in the sleepers usually overnight outbound and immediate turnaround overnight return. Usually ride ATN-WAS-ATN on the Crescent; spend time in Washington Union Station and Metropolitan Lounge and return same day. The Crescent's later schedule for the last year and continuing inconsistent on-time performance and "inconsistent" on-board service has made that trip seem less desirable lately. Although I miss the Silver Meteor, I am enamored with the size and consist of 91/92 "Super Star" and am contemplating driving to SAV to board it next.
I would be interested in knowing from patrons in this forum who have travelled on 91/92 lately a brief opinion of the service level with five sleepers normally in the consist. I know "same day" turnaround in WAS is now not legal connection on 91/92. Also note that I am a railfan usually just on the train because I want to be on the train--and will forgive some--I repeat "some"-- anomalies and inconsistencies. Thanks!
91's scheduled dep. @ WAS is exactly the same time as 92's sched. arr. It's impossible to arrive on 92 & leave on 91 the same day, unless 91 is running later than 92, which is not very common.

91's scheduled dep. @ WAS is exactly the same time as 92's sched. arr. It's impossible to arrive on 92 & leave on 91 the same day, unless 91 is running later than 92, which is not very common.
Thanks joelkfla. Could make the legal connection turnaround with about 1 hour in ALX (what a thrill!?). Or easy at RVR. Long for the days of Main Street Station and Broad Street Station in Richmond.

May drive to SAV or JSP or JAX. I know SAV and lived in JAX at one time. I do NOT know JSP at all. Miles from my house is about 220 - 280 depending on the station I pick.
When I feel like a train riding trip on the Star not involving overnight stay away from Florida, (Orlando area). except on the train of course, I usually do a turn to Raleigh, arriving early in the morning to Cary or Raleigh and then riding around during the day on Piedmonts to somewhere between Greensboro and Charlotte, and then take 91 back at night from Raleigh. Alternatively if something interesting is going on in Raleigh the just hang out there. I like to return early enough to Raleigh downtown loop area to get a nice dinner at one of the many excellent restaurants. One of my favorites is an Irish Pub, the name of which I will have to look up.

Of course this makes the train ride rather short if it is being done from SAV.

A turn at upto RVR is more or less safe. Unfortunately RVR station is not in a terribly good location, though at least there is some food available around it.

I have at times thought about turning in RMT or PTB just for the heck of it, but never got around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back