Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Sept 2022)

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

west point

Engineer
91's scheduled dep. @ WAS is exactly the same time as 92's sched. arr. It's impossible to arrive on 92 & leave on 91 the same day, unless 91 is running later than 92, which is not very common.

Of course, if you bought a RT ticket to RVR & were on time buy a RT to ALX from say RMT or PTB for example from RVR <> ALX. over phone. Reservation is on your phone and if necessary, get off before the meet with 91. Hopefully ALX or somewhere closer to RVR?

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Of course, if you bought a RT ticket to RVR & were on time buy a RT to ALX from say RMT or PTB for example from RVR <> ALX. over phone. Reservation is on your phone and if necessary, get off before the meet with 91. Hopefully ALX or somewhere closer to RVR?
On 92 you either get off at RVR or at ALX. There is no stop in between. 97/98 stops at FBG when they are running.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
So the Super Star 92(20) hit a tree on Friday between Savannah and Denmark, and finally arrived into New York a little after 11am on Sunday (5/22).

Normally that consist would have turned to 91(22). But apparently Sunnyside managed to scrounge together enough cars from the LSL 48(20) and Crescent 20(20) and reserves at Sunnyside to stitch together a 91 consist, so 91(22) left NY about 27 minutes late. Now they are probably furiously shunting cars to ready consists for 19(22) and 49(22) using cars that arrived in 92(20) and perhaps some additional protect cars. Interesting play of things.

92(20) did come in with two additional deadhead Viewliners too.

Last edited:

pennyk

51 year Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
91(21) was about 9 hours late into WPK today. This evening, I walked down to a crossing between WPK and ORL and watched it go by. The consist was its "usual" consist. FYI, it left ORL slightly less than 9 hours late. :(

Michigan Mom

Conductor
If buying a ticket today, on the SS, which are the old Viewliner cars, and which are the new?
We like the old roomettes with the in room toilets.

pennyk

51 year Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
If buying a ticket today, on the SS, which are the old Viewliner cars, and which are the new?
We like the old roomettes with the in room toilets.
The odd numbered sleeper cars are usually the old cars (11, 13) and the even cars (10, 12, 14) are usually the new V2 cars. However, there have been exceptions. I have noticed that most attendants like the older cars and the ones with seniority chose the V1 cars.

pennyk

51 year Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
That’s a surprise- I’d think the newer cars would have fewer problems for the them to deal with as well as no possible toilet mess.
The beds are heavier and more difficult to set up.

Also, the fact that there is no linen closet in the V2s is a major inconvenience for them.

Last edited:

JP1822

Train Attendant
I’ll have to take a look at this next time I am on Viewliner II sleeper. I thought they flipped locations of the beverage station with that of the linen closet, but guess not.….. The beverage station is better where it presently is (away from shower and bathrooms). And with the public restrooms now at the rear of the car, there’s a definite need for a “closet“ of supplies. Perhaps it was to go in the attendant’s room, or since each consist was originally to have a bagg-dorm Viewliner, would have also made sense that it had the applicable storage capacity…….

Guess this was an “oops!” in designing. The Amfleet Diner Lite, with its seating and window arrangement was an absolute BLUNDER. No good architect would have released plans like that.