Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, interesting to compare the speed at which it traveled through Newark, DE (with electric engine) and the speed through Orlando (with diesel engines).
Orlando has pretty serious PSRs throughout the city, so the slower speed is not really due to diesel engines.

On the NEC of course it is most likely doing 110mph, which it is restricted to due to the presence of the Viewliner I cars in the consist.

Orlando has pretty serious PSRs throughout the city, so the slower speed is not really due to diesel engines.
What are PSR's?

Also, I wonder how speeds could increase if we upgraded straight sections of track to allow for higher speeds, I feel like there's a lot of places where trains could be going faster but aren't.

Not in Commonly Used Abbreviations and Terms.

Permanent Speed Restrictions?
Yep. Look in the Abbreviations again ;)
What are PSR's?

Also, I wonder how speeds could increase if we upgraded straight sections of track to allow for higher speeds, I feel like there's a lot of places where trains could be going faster but aren't.
Who be the we? Someone will have to pay SunRail to raise speed limits on anything in their territory beyond what they need. They barely keep their nose above financial ruin level at present.

The story is pretty much the same with most host freight railroads, except that they are in much better financial shape usually than SunRail.

Yep. Look in the Abbreviations again ;)

Who be the we? Someone will have to pay SunRail to raise speed limits on anything in their territory beyond what they need. They barely keep their nose above financial ruin level at present.

The story is pretty much the same with most host freight railroads, except that they are in much better financial shape usually than SunRail.
True, poor wording on my part. I wish that railroads could could upgrade tracks.* I understand why it doesn't happen, but I can dream...

Pays extra to have UP surface the tracks to maintain higher speeds than those required for freight trains.
Ah, okay. I think that's probably worth it for corridor services, but probably not long distance services.

Should I have gotten notice if this affects my already booked trips DC to ORL and back; and if not, how do I check?

We were on 91 on 3/19-20. We were 2 hours late for most of the trip. The highlights of the trip was having the best Red Cap ever in Philadelphia named Charles, and a wonderful car attendant (sorry, no name gotten) on sleeper #9110. Thank you both! Yes, they got big tips from me.

Different consist on today's 91(31) out of NYP:

Sleeper 9102 was a VL II instead of a VL I, so 4 VL II's + just 1 VL I.

There was a VL I sleeper deadheading behind the engine, but there was also one on 92(29), so it was probably unrelated to the extra VL II in revenue service.

It's viewable on the Ashland railcam @ 17:23 EDT for 12 hours, or tomorrow afternoon on the Plant City railcam.

Sleeper 9102 was a VL II instead of a VL I, so 4 VL II's + just 1 VL I.
Minor nit.... 9112, not 9102.

I just came back from Alexandria on 91(30) in 9113/1. Trip back from the RPA Spring meeting.

I must say that finally CSX has done an excellent job with its track. It is now in superb condition.

Last edited:
Hi all! I am taking the now Super Star (previously booked on the Meteor) next week from WAS to FTL. Have the trains been super late arriving to FL? I took this trip last year but it was pretty much on time. This is also the first time I will be in a roommette car 9113. I'm guessing that's a viewliner I based on previous threads ?

Hi all! I am taking the now Super Star (previously booked on the Meteor) next week from WAS to FTL. Have the trains been super late arriving to FL? I took this trip last year but it was pretty much on time. This is also the first time I will be in a roommette car 9113. I'm guessing that's a viewliner I based on previous threads ?
I came back to FL on it arriving Orlando last Thursday. It was about an hour late.

A member has created a tool he calls ASMAD that stores all departure times and allows you to search them and create various displays. Here's a display of the southbound Silver Star's departure delays at FTL over the past 31 days:
https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/a...t=d_dp&sort_dir=DESC&co=gt&limit_mins=&dfon=1Average Dp delay: 1 hour and 31 minutes late
Median Dp delay: 1 hour and 9 minutes late

And, yes, sleeper 9113 has been a VL I, but sometimes they will substitute a VL II if a VL I is not available.

I don't know if this post should be in this forum. If not, feel free to move it. I've noticed that 91 and 92 always seems to lose time between Denmark, SC and Savannah, GA. Does anyone know why this is so?

Last edited:
We came down to Ft. Lauderdale leaving on 3/19. It arrived 1 hour late. On 4/2-4 we were booked to take 92/91 from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando and back. We cancelled, and drove the 2 hours and 45 minutes. Turns out that 91 got into Ft. Lauderdale last night 3 hours late. Tomorrow we fly home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back