Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I booked our trip for Saturday 3/19 to Ft. Lauderdale on the 91 Star for 39,203 points (cash value $1,106.) for 2 roomettes. A single bedroom would have been $1,823. We have been assigned to car 9110.
I was going to wait to leave on 3/30 to get the 97 Meteor, but they may not continue it 'til later.

Last edited:
I booked our trip for Saturday 3/19 to Ft. Lauderdale on the 91 Star for 39,203 points (cash value $1,106.) for 2 roomettes. A single bedroom would have been $1,823. We have been assigned to car 9110, room * and *.
I was going to wait to leave on 3/30 to get the 97 Meteor, but they may not continue it 'til later.
Think low bucket for a bedroom on the Star is $1200 plus. That's an awful lot of money for a two day trip and flex food. Why in the world can't traditional dining be restored on that train?

I booked our trip for Saturday 3/19 to Ft. Lauderdale on the 91 Star for 39,203 points (cash value $1,106.) for 2 roomettes. A single bedroom would have been $1,823. We have been assigned to car 9110, room * and *.
For the past 2 weeks, car 9110 has been a new VL II sleeper. VL II Roomettes have sinks but no toilets. The lineup of cars could change at any time.

I am booked on this train in March, and then again in May. I guess I shall see firsthand if the combined train lasts into May or not. In both cases, I’m having to spend the night in DC because of no same-day connections with the Cardinal.

In 2020, we transferred same day Card-Meteor in Richmond southbound, and same day Meteor-Card in DC northbound.

I am booked in the 12 car in March, and in the 10 car in May. I’ll be watching closely to see if the current VL2 order in the consist is maintained throughout. Seems like the 12 car has been consistently VL2 since they were rolled out.

I am booked in the 12 car in March, and in the 10 car in May. I’ll be watching closely to see if the current VL2 order in the consist is maintained throughout. Seems like the 12 car has been consistently VL2 since they were rolled out.
Yes. Even numbered cars have been VL2 and odd numbered cars VL1

I have a ticket on 98 of March 30th, and Amtrak has not touched that one yet. But of course we'll see. As they say, it is all an emergent situation.

Seems like Amtrak has been moving cars out of Miami. The past few days, 92 has had an extra car directly behind the engines: a baggage car, a coach, sleepers on 2 occasions. Meanwhile, 91 has been coming south with just 3 coaches & 4 sleepers.

Yes. The James River bus was fine. About an hour’s ride, maybe 90 minutes.

Hanging out in the station didn’t sound like fun for five hours (although I’ve done it many times other stations), so I splurged and used some hotel points to get a hotel room for those hours.

A little extravagant, but it was nice to have a rest, a shower, and to start fresh on the Meteor that evening.

The cab back-and-forth from the station to the hotel was convenient and easy. Finding an Uber ride to dinner turned out to be impossible though.

So if you end up doing something similar as we did, I would recommend food delivery to the hotel or walking to a nearby restaurant. There was a Bob Evans and a barbecue place pretty close to the hotel. In retrospect we should’ve gone to one of those.

Instead, we decided to hoof it about a mile to a seafood restaurant. The sidewalks in that part of suburban Richmond are atrocious - I wouldn’t do it again..

For those more sensible and/or with a tighter budget hanging out in the station for 5 hours, there were several fast food restaurants within walking distance (Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Dunkin) but I didn’t happen to notice any sit down restaurants close to the station.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Reminder: The intent of this thread is to discuss the consist, operations, challenges of operations with fewer staff than was used in the past, position of VL-IIs, ridership and any changes in operation of this train. Discussion of fares charged by Amtrak and cruise lines or by RZD in Russia are not within the scope of this thread. So this is a request to please stay within the scope of the thread. Travelogues should be posted in the Travelogue thread. Thank you.

91 in Florida today had 3 coaches and 4 sleepers . That’s one less of each than when the trains were separate and I guess is the new norm. No doubt the loss of connections to Capitol and LSL is a factor.

Hope Amtrak is using this time to refurbish equipment and make progress on training new hires.

Here is a video of 91 passing through Orlando today. (91/5)
Although Orlando is now a quiet zone, I heard a horn. I think I counted 3 coaches and 4 sleepers.

Attachments

• IMG_7387.MOV
    43.2 MB
The consist has consistently been 3+4 for the past couple of weeks, except for apparent northbound equipment moves being inserted behind the loco.
Isn't that basically a Silver Meteor consist? Is there a cafe car and diner in the consist, or literally just 3 coaches and 4 sleepers?

Isn't that basically a Silver Meteor consist? Is there a cafe car and diner in the consist, or literally just 3 coaches and 4 sleepers?
Yes, there's a cafe and diner. See Penny's post with video. Coaches and sleepers are just 1 short each of total combined Star/Meteor. Most likely due to demand.

Not sure about coaches, but before being merged the Meteor was running with 3 sleepers (VL II, I, II) and the Star with 2 (VLI, II). The first week or 2 after they were combined, the "SuperStar" was running 5 coaches & 5 sleepers, so 5 was probably the total number of coaches between them before that. I do remember there being at least 2 coaches on the Star.

I never expected that one train would need the capacity of both trains combined. So it does seem like they ran the "Super Star" just to rotate equipment North for maintenance. It would be nice to have ONLY VL2 sleepers on the currently operating Star.

91 in Florida today had 3 coaches and 4 sleepers . That’s one less of each than when the trains were separate and I guess is the new norm. No doubt the loss of connections to Capitol and LSL is a factor.

Hope Amtrak is using this time to refurbish equipment and make progress on training new hires.
Doubtful

Taking the 91 down to ORL from NYP on March 18th, on car 9111.
Also, taking the 92 back to NYP on March 26th, on car 9213.
I fully expect to get a VL1 both ways.

Reactions: jis
Hello from the Silver Star 92 today. We have 3 coaches and 4 sleepers, which alternate new/old/new/old with the Santee River and Portage River

Of note also, the FTL station hours have been adjusted due to the schedule change. Rather than opening at 8:20a, station now opens at 11:30a and closes at 6:45p. We had to sit in the rain (on a bench under the covered platform) waiting it out. But it was fine. A little chilly, but fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back