Silver Star/Silver Meteor combined train (Jan - Oct 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my revised eticket this morning now switched to the Silver Star for an 11:02 am departure. I'm so upset by this because my train from Boston doesn't arrive in NYP until 10:47 am. I booked the BOS-NYP separately to give us more time for connection and it also affects our trip home. Now we will need 2 nights in NY and since I purchased the Acela tickets during a promotion I will now also have to pay more to change them.

Last edited:
I just received my revised eticket this morning now switched to the Silver Star for an 11:02 am departure. I'm so upset by this because my train from Boston doesn't arrive in NYP until 10:47 am. I booked the BOS-NYP separately to give us more time for connection. I don't know what I"m going to do now?
They will most likely hold 91 for you if your BOS-NYP train is running late. They could also put you on the next regional to WAS to catch up with 91 since 91 has to change engines in WAS.

Just received an updated reservation, changing my Silver Meteor train on May 12th to the Silver Star from Kissimmee, FL to New York-Penn.
My room is now 9214, Room B. Hopefully this means I will get a VLII since the even-numbered cars are usually VLIIs - no guarantees with Amtrak.
So, the "Super Star" will continue past March 27th!

I just received my revised eticket this morning now switched to the Silver Star for an 11:02 am departure. I'm so upset by this because my train from Boston doesn't arrive in NYP until 10:47 am. I booked the BOS-NYP separately to give us more time for connection. I don't know what I"m going to do now?
  1. Sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards on the website if you're not already signed up.
  2. Call the AGR phone number with your AGR number and reservation numbers handy and inform the agent of your situation.
The reason to sign up for AGR first is that agents at the AGR phone number tend to be more experienced than those at the public number. The wait time on hold is often shorter, as well.

1. Sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards on the website if you're not already signed up.
  2. Call the AGR phone number with your AGR number and reservation numbers handy and inform the agent of your situation.
The reason to sign up for AGR first is that agents at the AGR phone number tend to be more experienced than those at the public number. The wait time on hold is often shorter, as well.

Thank you. I can change the BOS-NYP and NYP-BOS segments myself since there are no change fees up until 4/30. I don't know what they could do for me at this point because it's all about changing NEC connections dates and times. It also adds more expense since I will need overnights in NY both ways.

Thank you. I can change the BOS-NYP and NYP-BOS segments myself since there are no change fees up until 4/30. I don't know what they could do for me at this point because it's all about changing NEC connections dates and times. It also adds more expense since I will need overnights in NY both ways.
They might be able to guarantee the connection. Then you'd be assured of one of the options @AmtrakBlue mentioned or some other mitigation. If fares have increased since you originally booked, they could also rebook you at the original fare.

I just received my revised eticket this morning now switched to the Silver Star for an 11:02 am departure. I'm so upset by this because my train from Boston doesn't arrive in NYP until 10:47 am. I booked the BOS-NYP separately to give us more time for connection and it also affects our trip home. Now we will need 2 nights in NY and since I purchased the Acela tickets during a promotion I will now also have to pay more to change them.

Call and see if they will change you to a different Acela at no charge. Even though it is on a separate reservation, I would considered that "logical trip" and thus price protected due to the schedule change. Use the term logical trip, too, when speaking with them.

Call and see if they will change you to a different Acela at no charge. Even though it is on a separate reservation, I would considered that "logical trip" and thus price protected due to the schedule change. Use the term logical trip, too, when speaking with them.
The first Acela is 5:05 am and I really didn't want to do that early train. The real issue may be the trip back because the Silver Star doesn't arrive in NYP until 7:10P and the last NEC train of the evening leaves around 7:50P and knowing how notoriously late the Silver Line is, I don't feel too comfortable taking that risk. We just may end up driving instead.

Heading north you could change at WAS instead of NYP; due to the engine change and faster NEC train speeds the connection opens up to an hour there. (Of course you miss supper and your sleeper WAS-NYP>)

Heading north you could change at WAS instead of NYP; due to the engine change and faster NEC train speeds the connection opens up to an hour there. (Of course you miss supper and your sleeper WAS-NYP>)
I think it's more like 50 minutes, only about 10 minutes more than at NYP. It's not a guaranteed connection, and Train 92 has been more than 45 minutes late into WAS on 12 out of the last 30 days.

Call them, they can usually re-accomidate you and still get the promo deal.

Hopefully this means I will get a VLII since the even-numbered cars are usually VLIIs - no guarantees with Amtrak.

Does anyone know if this is still the case on the Silver Star that the even numbered cars are Viewliner IIs and odd cars are ones?

Does anyone know if this is still the case on the Silver Star that the even numbered cars are Viewliner IIs and odd cars are ones?
I've been tracking them every day on YouTube, and the sequence of sleepers has been 2-1-2-1-2 every day. So assuming the numbering still starts at xx10, yes, it is still true.

BTW, yesterday's truncated 92 had 6 coaches -- the 1st time I've seen more than 5. I don't know whether they were all in use, as sometimes they stick a random car behind the engines for an equipment move.

From what I just saw when 91(19) passed through Orlando 2+ hours late, the consist has not changed. Although Orlando is now a quiet zone, there were people near and on the tracks not too far from where I was standing, so the horn was blown. 😀👍🏼
I was able to get a video of the train.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    47.8 MB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back