Silvers Going Back To Daily Service 6/7/21

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I read that all trains of the Silver Service are going back to daily service on 6/7/21. I’m currently booked on 97 in September, which means I’ll arrive in Kissimmee at 1:23 PM (without possible delays). Should I consider the Star? I know it traditionally gets there in the morning.

Last month, the Meteor was 2 hours late into Kissimmee. Not Amtrak’s fault; there was track work in Virginia and South Carolina.

I didn’t get in until 3:15.

Not surprised by the move as it was just a matter of time. I guess new diesel locomotives and train cars to replace old Amfleet will be coming in the future at some point.

NY to Florida route is growing in terms of traffic and due to pandemic some are preferring to use sleepers which should provide additional revenue.

Last month, the Meteor was 2 hours late into Kissimmee. Not Amtrak’s fault; there was track work in Virginia and South Carolina.

CSX is doing more track work till April as per Amtrak which affects the Silvers and others that use the tracks.

I also read that the VL2 sleepers are going first on the Silvers. Any chance I’ll be on one in September?

Not surprised by the move as it was just a matter of time. I guess new diesel locomotives and train cars to replace old Amfleet will be coming in the future at some point.

NY to Florida route is growing in terms of traffic and due to pandemic some are preferring to use sleepers which should provide additional revenue.

All LD trains (except for the Sunset Limited and Cardinal) are going back to daily service thanks to funding from the latest stimulus package.

I also read that the VL2 sleepers are going first on the Silvers. Any chance I’ll be on one in September?
VL2 Sleepers are already being used on 97/98. They are the 12 car in the standard consist. Sometimes the 11 car has also been a VL2, but not always.

When can I try booking the Star if I so choose? I already have a Bedroom on the Meteor in September. If I modify my 3/31, I won’t lose points. However, I can’t book the Star yet. Just curious..

When can I try booking the Star if I so choose? I already have a Bedroom on the Meteor in September. If I modify my 3/31, I won’t lose points. However, I can’t book the Star yet. Just curious..
You can book now. They updated the system immediately after the Bill was signed.

I called AGR and was able to change to the Star for the same amount of points. I also simply booked an earlier Keystone. I do believe the Star now has a dedicated sleeper lounge/diner like the Meteor?

Just wondering... I was looking into booking a trip on the Silver Star from Sarasota, FL via bus to TPA to RVR (Richmond) next February (Sunday 2/6/2022). It only offers me the Meteor via a bus to Orlando.. Is the Star returning to daily service? I can book the Star on Saturday, February 5th (2022) but not the 6th. The Meteor arrives into Richmond too early in the morning (like 4:22 AM).

I thought the Star would be a daily train in 2022

Just wondering... I was looking into booking a trip on the Silver Star from Sarasota, FL via bus to TPA to RVR (Richmond) next February (Sunday 2/6/2022). It only offers me the Meteor via a bus to Orlando.. Is the Star returning to daily service? I can book the Star on Saturday, February 5th (2022) but not the 6th. The Meteor arrives into Richmond too early in the morning (like 4:22 AM).

It will be daily. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with Florida and practices in the east, so I cannot help you further. The Star is returning to daily service in May though.

I'm not really sure how/why that happened, but I just checked the schedule of a trip between SRA and RVR on Sunday, July 4, 2021 (dummy booking). The Star came up as available, departing TPA at 5:27 PM and arriving @ RVR at 12:07 PM the next day (7/5). In other words, I didn't actually try to book a ticket; I just checked the schedule for a given Sunday.

When daily service was re-uploaded into the booking system, all the connection possibilities weren't automatically added. The thruway bus to 92 connection is available if you search Sarasota to Orlando, as is 92 all the way to Richmond if you search from Tampa. You could try calling Amtrak to book your desired itinerary, you could wait and hope the issue gets resolved, or you could book it using the multi-city option.

The Star is returning to daily service. For some reason, that particular day does not have the bus running to TPA from Sarasota.

You can book that trip on the Sunday before and the Sunday After - but not between 2/5/2022 - 2/9/2022 for some reason

The Star is returning to daily service. For some reason, that particular day does not have the bus running to TPA from Sarasota.

You can book that trip on the Sunday before and the Sunday After - but not between 2/5/2022 - 2/9/2022 for some reason
The bus is running, but it's just not showing up when searching Sarasota-Richmond. The connection from the bus to 92 is shown on that day if searching other city pairs such as Sarasota-Orlando.

It must be a glitch. I see now it works fine when you use TPA instead of SRA (Sarasota). Before booking I always like to search availability (maybe check the day before, after, etc,) to see what the rate may be for a bedroom versus two roomettes for two people. And one day can be much higher than another for either option. In this case I could only enter Saturday and get a rate on the Star. It had a good value available on two roomettes, but the bedroom was high. I'll call and have them check and take the best deal for either Saturday or Sunday.

It will be daily. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with Florida and practices in the east, so I cannot help you further. The Star is returning to daily service in May though.
Not May. June 7th.

They may not have completed working through all the restorations in their reservation system.

Back