Since 3x weekly began, have any connections been missed in Chicago?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferroequinologist

Lead Service Attendant
Missing a connection in Chicago is now a serious matter given the long wait for the next train. Travel plans could be ruined, traveller could lose prepaid hotel rooms, deposits etc. Does anyone know if any connections have been missed and if so, how did Amtrak handle it?

I have not heard of conn3ctions missed, but also, I am sure Amtrak would pull affected passengers off to drive them so they would not miss their train. Many connections do require an over night stay in Chicago so the Inbound train can be quite late with no danger of missing the connection.

ASMAD is a database of Amtrak on time performance, and it has a connecting trains query that will show missed connections. For example, searching arriving train 49 (Lake Shore) connecting to train 7 (Empire Builder) at Chicago shows no missed connections since Oct 30 (they would show up in red). You can adjust the dates for your search.

49_to_7.png

Great tool, thanks! Now it will be interesting to see how Amtrak handles a missed connection when it eventually occurs.

I am sure Amtrak would pull affected passengers off to drive them so they would not miss their train.
I have an unsubstantiated theory that since the bus bridge failed Amtrak will try to implement alternating bus days instead. The sales pitch will be a return to daily service so long as we accept that four of those days will be on a bus.

Last edited:
I have an unsubstantiated theory that since the bus bridge failed Amtrak will try to implement alternating bus days instead. The sales pitch will be a return to daily service so long as we accept that four of those days will be on a bus.
If Amtrak wants to get into the bus business...Greyhound is for sale by its owner's...probably real cheap....🤣

Barring another disaster I'm confident daily service will return and I say this with an unblemished record of negativity.

I think eventually daily service will return especially given the changes in Washington about to take place however I wouldn't' expect daily service very soon.

I have a circle trip coming up Friday. 29 to 27. Then 27 to 11. That is a guaranteed connection. If that train doesn't make it on time to connect to the Starlight in Portland it will be two days until the next train. Hopefully,there won't be any problems. I was on 14 with a guaranteed to 28 last summer. A pedestrian was struck outside of Salem and we missed the connection. Amtrak put us up at a nice hotel and we got on the next days Builder. Now it can be two or three days. Question is with a guaranteed connection will Amtrak foot the bill for two or three nights lodging and food?

Sleazy weasels! So everyone at Amtrak can make up their own rules. Typical of them. Make a national rule to have only 3 days a week but leave it to the locals if Amtrak can't meet the commitment.

Recently cancelled a circle trip on Amtrak - EUG-LAX-CHI- WAS-BOS-CHI-PDX-EUG. The reason I cancelled is because of getting COVID, missed connections, spotty service, sickening flex meals, and add... weather uncertainties causing more delays and missed connections. Travel fantasies at this point are of taking long car trips in my old Camry... until Amtrak service becomes more reliable. 🤮🤬🥶

Below... an article on 'missed connections' which were frequent then... when times were better!

https://www.trainsandtravel.com/2016/06/10/dealing-with-missed-connections/

Whatever happens to Greyhound, happens to Bolt, too. Greyhound owns Bolt...
Like Amtrak... there are issues with management... and Greyhound seems to be no exception. It seems that their fleet, stations, and attitudes have deteriorated in the past few years. This COVID thing has them really hurting. Sad. :rolleyes:

I thought I've heard that they've held a couple trains now because of late connections. But these days, I can see Amtrak holding departures now more often than they did before, especially those routes that don't connect to much on the other end. The CONO doesn't connect with anything in NOL, so it could be held for hours. Since the southbound Texas Eagle only connects from the eastern trains one day a week, they can easily hold that as it has plenty of padding in places like SAS and even LAX.

Sure seems like No. 49 could miss connections today. Our 29 had to back up and pass it, and it's still in a service disruption. They had three P42s but something about air lines? I know nothing about mechanics.

I'm on 29. It left DC 90 minutes late. What happened? I always worry about missing a connection,even though I have a nice buffer. On 27 later today. This is the beginning of a circle trip on 29,27,11,422 and 48. If I missed my Portland connection it would be 48 hours until the next Starlight. I'm taking 14 to Martinez and a San Jouquin to LA. That 9PM arrival in LA on 11 is too close for comfort to connect to 422.

It's just after 10AM. We left South Bend a few minutes ago.

Back