Single person in superliner bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I have traveled a few times between Sacramento and Chicago in a roomette. It has always gotten to be claustrophobic and I hated getting up at night and using a bathroom down the hall. I thought I would splurge and get a bedroom for a round trip on the California Zephyr. I am single and a senior. I know it will be very expensive but it would just be a once in a lifetime experience. What is your opinion? Have any other singles done this?

YES. I am a single and a senior and always travel in a superliner bedroom overnight (and have done so even before I was officially a senior).
Yes, it is more expensive, but I am worth it. (I will not describe my aversion to using after men (and some women) restroom on a moving train in the middle of the night).

Only time I got a bedroom was two years ago on the CONO. Only $50 more than a roomette. However,I can't justify paying $200 or more for the upgrade.

I was able to get Bedrooms at low-bucket prices for a Coast Starlight-Texas Eagle-Empire Builder trip in 2019, and in particular booked Bedroom A. I really like the wide lower berth and the extra space to have all my luggage. While I like the en-suite toilet, I always go downstairs to take a shower to keep my toilet dry and for more space in the shower.

Better book soon! There's been quite a bit of discussion lately about the cost of Bedrooms. I compromised and got a Family Bedroom at half the price of a Bedroom for my next trip, but there's lots of disadvantages over a Bedroom.

Last edited:
I did it once on an AGR ticket. It proved to me it wasn't worth the price difference to me.

The thing I liked best was the bed was quite a bit more comfortable than the narrow, constricted bed of the Amtrak roomette. But I am not paying twice as much for that.

Have any other singles done this?
I've ridden every Superliner bedroom except the handicapped version and found them all suitable for single travelers.

What is your opinion?
It's your money and we only live once so give it a try and see if you enjoy it.

I went FUL-CHI and CHI-LAX in a bedroom last March (how is it that far away already!), it was amazing, there's actually a lot more space in there and it feels good to be able to stand up, and move around in your own room. I think it's worth it (as long as it's not insanely priced like they have been recently)

One time, my connection to the CL was blown and they offered me coach on the LSL, I asked if they would give me a note allowing me to shower and they said no. This was before the new lounge which has a shower. They offered to put me in a hotel for the night and accommodate on the next days's CL but said I would need to take a bedroom instead of the roomette. Obviously, I said yes. And another time the LSL was very highly priced, and a bedroom and NER connection using the CL was better.....

If you can afford it, I would definitely do it. I once took a bedroom on the Capitol Limited, as the fare was only about $70 more than the roomette fare. It was excellent and very comfortable. I will probably do it more once I can start taking more overnight trips, especially since the AGR points have been accumulating since the pandemic started and I haven't been taking long distance train trips.

Absolutely go for it. I've done bedrooms a few times by myself. The 2-night trains (CZ, SWC, EB) are great in a bedroom. I like the fact that you can peek out the door and catch the scenery on the other side from the hallway. And a mid-day nap is convenient on the couch/sofa if you're so inclined or should that be declined?🤔 Due to costs most recent travel has been in a roomette which is still enjoyable by myself.

I have traveled a few times between Sacramento and Chicago in a roomette. It has always gotten to be claustrophobic and I hated getting up at night and using a bathroom down the hall. I thought I would splurge and get a bedroom for a round trip on the California Zephyr. I am single and a senior. I know it will be very expensive but it would just be a once in a lifetime experience. What is your opinion? Have any other singles done this?
You're not alone... it's a wonderful way to enjoy the beautiful scenery afforded by the CZ... and I've done it several times. Book well in advance with a good agent and be extremely flexible... and save big bucks. The other tip is... avoid room A because you hear a big 'thump' every time the vestibule door opens and closes... this is also a smaller room. See diagram below.

Single seniors should embrace travel just as so many on this forum are sharing. That, along with the new dining menus will bring a wonderful experience. So go and enjoy!
Superliner Upstairs.png

I did it last month on a Chicago to Denver trip. All the roomettes were taken but for some reason one of the bedrooms popped open and I took it. I enjoyed he extra room. The return trip in a roomette felt tight.

For me, it falls into the same category as flying 1st class. Sometimes you just have to do it if you want to get there.

The other tip is... avoid room A because you hear a big 'thump' every time the vestibule door opens and closes... this is also a smaller room. See diagram below.

I like Bedroom A for solo travel because of the better soundproofing from neighbors. I noticed no extra noise from the door or wheels (but I was privy to the sound and drama of an air hose breaking then being repaired right outside my room). On the Coast Starlight and Texas Eagle, I had people walking past my room and never even noticed unless I had the curtain open and was looking that way. On the Empire Builder, I was at the very end of the train and had "private " access to the railfan window.

But noise from neighbors is a problem in Bedrooms, especially when one is traveling alone and not chatting with a companion. You hear every toilet flush, cough, sneeze, and muffled conversation from the neighboring room. This is because the sliding door which separates Bedrooms except for A is very thin, and is even known to slide open unexpectedly.

While Bedroom A is smaller, the actual reduction in square footage is minor. The main difference is that the space for the bathroom door to open is by the hallway instead of by the window, and having this extra floor space by the window combines with the floor space by the chair to make the room feel more spacious. I prefer Bedrooms other than A when I am traveling with a companion.

I like Bedroom A for solo travel because of the better soundproofing from neighbors. I noticed no extra noise from the door or wheels (but I was privy to the sound and drama of an air hose breaking then being repaired right outside my room). On the Coast Starlight and Texas Eagle, I had people walking past my room and never even noticed unless I had the curtain open and was looking that way. On the Empire Builder, I was at the very end of the train and had "private " access to the railfan window.

But noise from neighbors is a problem in Bedrooms, especially when one is traveling alone and not chatting with a companion. You hear every toilet flush, cough, sneeze, and muffled conversation from the neighboring room. This is because the sliding door which separates Bedrooms except for A is very thin, and is even known to slide open unexpectedly.

While Bedroom A is smaller, the actual reduction in square footage is minor. The main difference is that the space for the bathroom door to open is by the hallway instead of by the window, and having this extra floor space by the window combines with the floor space by the chair to make the room feel more spacious. I prefer Bedrooms other than A when I am traveling with a companion.

I like Bedroom A for all of the reasons you mentioned. Having quick access to the railfan window is a major plus for me.

Go for it!
I rode the Texas Eagle sleeper from LAX-DAL just after last Thanksgiving with plans for my father-in-law to join me. Unfortunately his health and Covid precluded him joining and I had already booked a bedroom for us to share. So I ended up riding alone in the bedroom and absolutely loved it eventhough I’m not a senior yet 😉.

I'm not single but have ridden as a single passenger in a sleeper and I think you have a nice idea. The roomettes aren't too bad but are a bit tight as you indicated. With the bedroom, you can even sleep in the upper berth and use the bottom one as a nice seat.

I'm not sure why you would even question this. Of course, get a bedroom! I am a senior, and I am taking my own bedroom alone round trip - for the comfort, for the privacy, for the facilities, etc. Enjoy the excitement, the relaxation and the extraordinary vistas of the California Zephyr. It will be a great experience, I want so much to take my next trip on that train, and right now thinking about it, I think I must.

I'm not sure why you would even question this. Of course, get a bedroom! I am a senior, and I am taking my own bedroom alone round trip - for the comfort, for the privacy, for the facilities, etc. Enjoy the excitement, the relaxation and the extraordinary vistas of the California Zephyr. It will be a great experience, I want so much to take my next trip on that train, and right now thinking about it, I think I must.
If the prices of bedrooms weren't so much more than a roomette I would always get a bedroom. It all boils down to price. I did get a bedroom once on the CONO when a bedroom was only $50 more than a roomette. When the price difference is $200 and more,I just can't justify it.

If the prices of bedrooms weren't so much more than a roomette I would always get a bedroom. It all boils down to price. I did get a bedroom once on the CONO when a bedroom was only $50 more than a roomette. When the price difference is $200 and more,I just can't justify it.
Yes, do it! I'm a senior too and had a bedroom on the CL a few years ago when I caught a sale. So much roomier than a roomette and the large chair is nice, as is having your own toilet and shower.

Yes, do it! I'm a senior too and had a bedroom on the CL a few years ago when I caught a sale. So much roomier than a roomette and the large chair is nice, as is having your own toilet and shower.
I'll wait for a sale. My point is the extra money you pay for a bedroom would give you another trip in a roomette. Love the extra space. When the price of a bedroom on a full run on any of the trains is $200 or less over the roomette price,I'll spring for the bedroom. Not when it's $500 or more.

I've taken one trip on an LD route and rode solo in a bedroom. (Female, senior by AARP standards. :) ) (EMY-CHI on the Zephyr.) It's the only way I could imagine doing it, and after seeing the roomettes in person, it was definitely the right choice. That tiny space would quickly ramp anxiety levels. Not everyone would have this issue of course, but I loved everything about the bedroom but that hard old bed. On that topic, I plan to research different solutions for that so I can ride again soon - anyone have a favorite portable sleeping pad/camp roll that supports side sleeping better? Thanks!

I've taken one trip on an LD route and rode solo in a bedroom. (Female, senior by AARP standards. :) ) (EMY-CHI on the Zephyr.) It's the only way I could imagine doing it, and after seeing the roomettes in person, it was definitely the right choice. That tiny space would quickly ramp anxiety levels. Not everyone would have this issue of course, but I loved everything about the bedroom but that hard old bed. On that topic, I plan to research different solutions for that so I can ride again soon - anyone have a favorite portable sleeping pad/camp roll that supports side sleeping better? Thanks!

I was surprised at how hard the bed was on my last trip. I may have done better to have just put a sheet down and to have slept on the seat. My wife had the upper berth and didn't say anything about the bed. That surprised me. Maybe hers wasn't that bad.

Thank you for starting this thread, Dennis. I've been wondering the same thing and you've gotten alot of great feedback. I'm single and approaching my senior years (I turn 60 next year, so not quite, but am old enough to qualify for the retirement home of my choice). I do have some balance problems and night time does not agree with them. I've done a H room several times, but don't feel as my issues have improved some, that it's appropriate for me to book that. I'll look into a bedroom on future trips on Amtrak, thanks to this input you've gotten.

Back