Sitting Alone in the Dining Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief
Some people here like the communal seating in Amtrak's dining car, while us introverts would rather be left alone. On today's 92, I was the only one with a 6:30 dinner reservation, so I had the whole car to myself! There were two coach passengers from the previous seating leaving when I entered, and I heard the crew say they'd have something like 16 people for the 7:30 reservation. Last time I had a 6:30 reservation (northbound Meteor), it was a full house and I didn't leave until 8. Today I was in and out in 30 minutes.

A bit off topic, but I also heard the crew say they'll have 239 people on board when they leave DC on Friday. Not sure if it's for the Meteor or Star (which I'm on now), but they speculated that Amtrak would add a 5th coach.

I've been in a similar situation a couple of times and it feels like you are riding in your own private car. But on the other hand it can get kind of spooky with the LSA and up to 2 Servers watching and doting over you and possibly the Chef peeking around the corner to see if you like what you have been served. Though the portions tend to get a littel stronger too :)

I once boarded 92 in Orlando and it was running late and apparently none of the other sleeper passengers that boarded in Orlando wanted to eat dinner. It was around 8:30pm or 9pm. I was the only one in the diner and the last customer. I had very quick service, and if I remember correctly, I got my dessert to go so they could clean up. I am one of those that likes community seating and I did find it spooky with servers hovering.

And if you are lucky enough to be sitting alone in a Heritage Diner listen carefully for the lingering presence of the many thousands who ate in there before you, especially those who enjoyed meals when those Diners were in Flagship service. I could not help think that a couple weeks ago when we had the former Burlington Silver Cuisine on our Meteor.

We had the opposite problem. We like sitting with other people. On our recent trip on the Crescent, nobody was ever seated with us in either direction. :(

Worse, on the return trip for dinner, all the tables were in use including ours so as people came in, they were seated with others. Evert one except ours and one other had people added. I KNOW I showered used deodorant. I guess the OBS didn't like us.

There was only one meal in each direction for us.

One night in STL I caught a late #21 (normal departure time 8pm) and I was the only boarding sleeper passenger so went to the empty CCC and was greeted by Lucuous the LSA( Excellent LSA, really nice guy!)!) and Two very good Food Service Employees!

Lucious jokingly asked me if I had a Reservation since they were so busy!

I ordered my meal and once it was served the Chef and some of the OBS joined me and had their dinners!

They told war stories as I ate one of the beat meals I've had on Amtrak ( Steak and Baked and Bourbon Pecan Pie and a nice bottle of wine!)

I almost felt like a VIP riding in my private car as we rolled down the river through the night!I normally don't drink coffee @ night but I had several cups spiced up with some of my favorite adult beverages after finishing the meal!

Slept very well that night in my Roomette and didn't wake up until hitting the Texas/ Arkansas Border @ the Texarkana stop!

I've noticed the pattern of spreading people out on my trip on the crescent 2 years ago. I ate lunch with a guy who was on his laptop. I read my kindle and looked out the window. At dinner I was seated with an author. We had a great conversation. At breakfast, I was by myself. I think the crew on this trip were more responsive to the current desire for passengers to want space for themselves. This approach did not affect the quality of service. IMHO it's better then cramming 4 people into a table and leaving the rest empty.

I'm not really an extrovert nor a good conversationalist, but we've always had pleasant experiences with our table mates.

On our recent trip, my friend and I shared tables with a personable young businesswoman/nightclub owner from west Africa who was in the US to buy generators* and such to sell; a friendly couple from Chicago who offered us sightseeing tips; a nice older couple who were taking their first sleeper trip and weren't aware their meals were included, and who told us about their sweet young foster daughter (God bless them); a thoroughly entertaining forum member and her son (need I say more? :giggle: ), and a granddad and visiting granddaughter who filled us in on his hometown of Charlottesville. At several meals we had the table to ourselves. We couldn't help overhearing a lady at the next table who was talking with her husband on the phone, telling him how wonderful traveling by train is and that they both needed to take a future trip. My friend now has the same opinion. :)

I totally understand that some people don't enjoy dining with strangers, but for those who haven't traveled on Amtrak and are dreading that part, maybe it will turn out better than you anticipate, or you might be seated alone if it's not crowded. You can always have meals in your sleeper compartment but the table is tiny.

*For those in the market for a generator, she recommended the gasoline KVX (or something like that) brand generators from Lowe's. She said to avoid any made in China as she'd had bad experiences with those. The things you learn here on the forum...

Seems like there's no way to tell. I'd prefer to eat alone, but don't necessarily want to ask for my meal to be brought to the roomette. I guess I'll have to play it by ear.

I travel alone most of the time and find being seated with other solo travelers fun.Never know who you are going to meet.Have been seated by my self,boring,one guy had two of those ear piece phone thingies in his ears,rude as they come,another couple came in and refused to sit with anyone else and left.But it is usually,next to the scenery,is the best part of the train ride.

I certainly do not have the Amtrak experience that many of you do, but what dining car experiences that I have had have been all positive. A breakfast on the Cardinal coming into Chicago with a couple who were well traveled, an Empire Builder dining experience with a young woman who had planned this trip with a Mother that was recently deceased, but she decided to keep the Bedroom they had bought and enjoy this trip with her Mother along in thought/spirit, and, on the Cardinal out of Chicago, the Dining Car Steward (this has been a few years ago before the new titles of positions) seated 4 of us solos at a table. It was a table that I don't think was turned over that evening! A very good dinner, much wine, and great conversation: a wonderful way to end that Amtrak trip!

I am looking forward to my Amtrak trip this Fall and meeting more interesting people. (I just hope they will share that view of me!)

I'm pretty much a huge introvert and tend to eat alone when given the choice. But I've always had good experiences in the dining car. I've met some interesting people and was generally pleased we arrived at a "dinner is done, nice meeting you." Point and didn't have any awkwardness about chatting the rest of the trip or anything.

The only potentially awkward moment was when I was once seated with a woman slightly older than me and a man somewhat younger than both of us. The woman and I discovered that we were both college professors and talk drifted to 'shop talk' a bit. The young man got a bit uncomfortable and disappeared after viewing the menu. I'm not sure if he had sticker shock at the price and opted to go cheap or was a college student himself and freaked out by sitting at a table with two profs. Hah!

I'm a pretty serious introvert but I can play at being an extrovert. I've met some interesting people at dinner.

Of late, occasionally, I get at a table with one or two people who do nothing but scroll through their cell phones (updating FB status? I don't know) the whole meal and I admit I feel a little disappointed. (I don't have a smartphone and even if I did, I'd turn it off for dinner)

Have never had the diner to myself in many decades of train travel. Once or twice I had a table to myself, probably because I was the "odd man" arriving with my reservation when all others had already been seated and filled their tables.

I'm a pretty serious introvert but I can play at being an extrovert. I've met some interesting people at dinner.

Of late, occasionally, I get at a table with one or two people who do nothing but scroll through their cell phones (updating FB status? I don't know) the whole meal and I admit I feel a little disappointed. (I don't have a smartphone and even if I did, I'd turn it off for dinner)
Well, I hope I do not dine which such persons that you describe. Such behavior on their part is inconsiderate of the social situation in which they have placed themselves. But, I would still be pleased to people watch other passengers and the crew's interactions with their guests, enjoy my meal, watch the passing country/city-side, and wonder: if this the stretch of track where half of my soup ends up in the saucer underneath the bowl? (The previous was on the C&O's George Washington out of Cincinnati in northern Kentucky en route to Washington, D. C. in 1968. That was still a great rail journey in spite of a very rough roadbed!)

I find the cell phone can be a good conversation starter....one way is to bring the speedometer display up and remark how fast we are going....most people are fascinated by it and the conversation goes from there.... :)

Heh. I travelled with my 70+ folks this summer on the CL. Dad was captivated by watching the little dot that was our train on the GPS map.

Had a similar breakfast on the LSL when boarding at Toledo. Was the only one in the diner for my entire breakfast. Was nice, and it was the new Viewliner diner too, was a nice surprise. One of the few times I got more than one top off on the coffee!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had so many interesting conversations with people in the diner. It has been the highlight of many trips. Travelers from Europe, Australia, Japan, Russia are always fascinating. Lunch with an Amish couple. Dinner with a Franciscan priest. Breakfast with a jazz musician from NY City.

But yes, please put the smartphones away when at the dinner table. :( Didn't Mom teach you any manners.? :p

Aloha

Steve and the I-Phone have changed the world in an I world, ie I want it now, I am ... Thankfully not everyone has been corrupted.

One of the more pleasant parts of train travel is meeting new people in the diner.

I remember once the wife and I met a couple at the last lunch serving and we hit it off so well they eventually had to shoo us out (sorry sir but we really need to get the car ready for dinner). Sitting alone would be OK but not nearly as nice.

I also heard the crew say they'll have 239 people on board when they leave DC on Friday. Not sure if it's for the Meteor or Star (which I'm on now), but they speculated that Amtrak would add a 5th coach.
91 (the Star) often leaves DC full, but many of those passengers will have detrained by the time it leaves CYN (the suburban stop for Raleigh). Sometimes there are southbound passengers at RIchmond, Raleigh, etc who take their place; sometimes not.

Dining car use on 91 out of RIchmond can be slim.

Oh wow. On the Cardinal west bound seated opposite two not so young ladies (sisters?) with no teeth? They talked to each other occasionally - I couldn't understand a word. Probably just as well.

Another westbound Cardinal, got asked if I'd be willing to move back a table next to the conductor and pals to make room for a group of four. Well, twist my arm!:.. Endless war stories and I got a lot of rr questions answered. VP for CSX came in and sat with them. The conductor asked him for help in logging all their track switches for the last 100 mi or so and he just rattled them off w/o even having to think.

On something bound in some direction, a guy who talked all three of our ears off about flying saucers - I think.

Eastbound on the Cap Lim just me and a lovely not-so-young lady whose daddy was a VP for the Pennsy. She had stories. .

Al as OBS on EB westbound. A couple came in and Al wanted to seat them with me. He (the guy) went politely ballistic. We're celebrating our nn wedding anniversary and is it too much to let us have a table to ourselves? After all, the diner is EMPTY."" I jumped in "Dude, the diner is really EMPtY Lighten up?" Al rose to the occasion and wined and dined them. Over the course of the next two days, ended up being one of the most fun dining car experiences of my admittedly limited dining car mileage. .

Lately I bring a book along and hope it's not my best option.

ZSo = TIP well, get to know the dining car staff by name, and do your part to help them, both by doing things to make their jobs easier and by figuring out when (and how) to just stay the hell out of their way. Do this, you'll be part of the crew, treated well, and have a great time.

Just one guys take on life.

. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back