SJC to LAX - which alternative would you suggest?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
Note, at this time I do not want to change my travel dates.

Looks like I’ll be getting a notification from Amtrak about my CS to TE/SL connection in April. So I’m doing my “alternative transportation” research.
Pros & cons on the San Joaquin & Surflinet options

Note, at this time I do not want to change my travel dates.

Looks like I’ll be getting a notification from Amtrak about my CS to TE/SL connection in April. So I’m doing my “alternative transportation” research.
Pros & cons on the San Joaquin & Surflinet options
Are they cutting the connection guarantee? I ran queries on the schedule tab for SJC-ELP for the entire month of April and it shows the 11-2 connection as valid on all dates 2/422 is running. The schedules tab shows only the same guaranteed connections as the booking tab, so if they are cutting the connection, it isn't in Arrow yet.

Since the San Joaquin connection leaves 10 minutes before the Surfliner connection, it involves 2 connections (SKN and BFD) instead of one (SBA), I'd do the Surfliner if the Starlight does fall through.

Note that if Amtrak does cut the Starlight connection, they'll automatically rebook you on one or the other, although they'll likely be willing to shift it if asked as long as space is available.

Are they cutting the connection guarantee? I ran queries on the schedule tab for SJC-ELP for the entire month of April and it shows the 11-2 connection as valid on all dates 2/422 is running. The schedules tab shows only the same guaranteed connections as the booking tab, so if they are cutting the connection, it isn't in Arrow yet.

Since the San Joaquin connection leaves 10 minutes before the Surfliner connection, it involves 2 connections (SKN and BFD) instead of one (SBA), I'd do the Surfliner if the Starlight does fall through.

Note that if Amtrak does cut the Starlight connection, they'll automatically rebook you on one or the other, although they'll likely be willing to shift it if asked as long as space is available.
The SL/TE is leaving LAX at 7:xx pm starting March 22 through to May ?10th? Apparently they have not updated the connections yet.

The SL/TE is leaving LAX at 7:xx pm starting March 22 through to May ?10th? Apparently they have not updated the connections yet.
Oh, interesting. I had just looked at whether the connection showed (it does). I looked more closely and the Sunset schedule does indeed show an LA departure of 7:30 pm. So right now, connecting to a train that leaves nearly 2 hours before the incoming train arrives (9:11pm) is showing as valid 🙄.

Anyway, the San Joaquin and Surfliner options both leave and arrive within 15 minutes of each other, and both with plenty of time to make the Sunset. The Surfliner routing is both simpler and more scenic, I'd take that if you have any choice in the matter.

Oh, interesting. I had just looked at whether the connection showed (it does). I looked more closely and the Sunset schedule does indeed show an LA departure of 7:30 pm. So right now, connecting to a train that leaves nearly 2 hours before the incoming train arrives (9:11pm) is showing as valid 🙄.

Anyway, the San Joaquin and Surfliner options both leave and arrive within 15 minutes of each other, and both with plenty of time to make the Sunset. The Surfliner routing is both simpler and more scenic, I'd take that if you have any choice in the matter.
I’m glad I moved my hotel in San Jose to one closer to the station now that I’ll have to leave it early.

Though I have not been notified by Amtrak yet about my broken connection, I did check the website's booking and schedules pages today and saw those have been updated. I called and got my CS train switched to Bus-San Joaquin-Bus. This was what they offered and actually I prefer it since it has more train time, and the bus time is broken up, than the Bus-Surfliner option. The agent I worked with was impressed that I knew about the broken connection before they notified me and that I knew the route she would offer me as alternate.

Since I've done the CS northbound from LAX, I'm not disappointed about missing the view. And now I'll get to check off another train and see yet another part of this large country I live in. Hmm, maybe someday I'll be able to say I've seen all of Delaware, where I've lived for over 50 years. 🤣

I know that this is a bit against the spirit of the forum, and I presume the trip, but one other option that would give you a lot of scheduling flexibility:

Take a quick flight from SJC to BUR (Southwest offers route several times a day), then walk across the street from BUR, and board the Surfliner for a short hop from the Burbank Airport station down to LAUS.

I'd suggest SJC to LAX on Southwest or another carrier, but I'd honestly rather connect from BUR on the Surfliner than from LAX to Union Station using Uber or the Flyaway bus.

I know that this is a bit against the spirit of the forum, and I presume the trip, but one other option that would give you a lot of scheduling flexibility:

Take a quick flight from SJC to BUR (Southwest offers route several times a day), then walk across the street from BUR, and board the Surfliner for a short hop from the Burbank Airport station down to LAUS.

I'd suggest SJC to LAX on Southwest or another carrier, but I'd honestly rather connect from BUR on the Surfliner than from LAX to Union Station using Uber or the Flyaway bus.
I did consider flying, but hey, it's a traincation (after visiting family). :)

From what I remember, the SJ service doesn't (or may not, according to their site) have a cafe car these days and I don't know of any other food/drink service. That could be a hell run. Would recommend the Surfliner option as at least you'll get a stop in King City and consumables on the Surfliner.

From what I remember, the SJ service doesn't (or may not, according to their site) have a cafe car these days and I don't know of any other food/drink service. That could be a hell run. Would recommend the Surfliner option as at least you'll get a stop in King City and consumables on the Surfliner.
I’m aware that there may not be a cafe car. I plan to pack some food just in case.

Any suggestions (oh, how I hate to ask....) regarding finding breakfast during my layover in Stockton? The McD's appeals to me (yeah, I'm sure some of you are gagging), but can't tell how easy it is to walk to and back from.

I rode on it last Nov. Without a cafe car they had lots of snack boxes and bottled water. It wasn't that great, but it was free. Some passengers grabbed more than one.

I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. I checked it out and there's a schedule 22+ hour transfer time in LA.

I rode on it last Nov. Without a cafe car they had lots of snack boxes and bottled water. It wasn't that great, but it was free. Some passengers grabbed more than one.

I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. I checked it out and there's a schedule 22+ hour transfer time in LA.
I think it depends on what cars are used. Apparently they have two types of train sets available. And this is before the new cars are put into revenue service (with no cafe car).

With regards to the connection, @AmtrakBlue had a same-day connection from the CS to the SL that was blown apart due to schedule changes - either temporarily (see: recent adjustment due to UP track work on the SL) or otherwise. I have tried to schedule PDX-SAN but it seems as if there is no connection in LAX between the CS and the Surfliner. It always forces me to the SJ via bookending bus transfers. I wonder if Amtrak tweaked their minimum-connect times and cut the guaranteed same-day connection.

With regards to the food services on the SJ, it was cut during the malaise and "emergency food and drink" was handed out if necessary. I believe I had heard and/or read rumors that the Joint Powers Board running the SJ was looking into cutting the cafe car entirely due to lack of revenue. At least it's good news that they are providing some sort of food/drink on a regular basis instead of an emergency one.

Back