Sleep Machine with Train Sounds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
With some frequency, I have trouble getting to sleep at home (both initially and back to sleep after a predictable early wake-up at about 3:00 a.m.) because I am laying there thinking of business related issues. :blink: In the past, I have used my bedroom TV + sleep timer set at 30-60 minutes as background noise to help me sleep. :eek:hboy: The problem with that is that commercials or music can kick in at higher volumes and wake me back up.

I have been aware of "sleep machines" that have background noise like rainfalls, the ocean, etc. I finally broke down and bought one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SMJQT4/ref=oh_o02_s01_i00_details

When it arrived, I noted that among the selections was "train". I first tried the machine last night and chose "train". The train sound combines a simulated "whoosing" sound of a train with clicking of tracks. What it does not have that real trains have is horns blowing or bells ringing at crossings. :lol: I would compare the sound somewhat to what you experience on a train at top speed in long flat stretches. And of course, it does not simulate the motion you experience in train travel.

I have conditioned myself over the years to sleep well in Amtrak sleepers. Last night, I found that the background train noise readily helped me get to sleep. The price is not cheap, but a good, full nights' sleep on a regular basis is important. The machine can either be left on overnight or set at 30-120 minutes with a sleep timer. There is a volume setting.

Some people inquire about how easy it is to sleep on a train. Here I am attesting that background train noise helps me get to sleep at home. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so
cool.gif
.....May be just what I need.....
smile.gif

I was just thinking about this last night while trying to sleep, wishing I were on a train. I love the motion and sound of a train at night, and I tried to remember it to relax my thoughts and help me fall asleep. This topic is kismet. :)

It's easy for me to relax and sleep on a train. The first night at my destination, I often continue to feel the sway of the train as I'm falling asleep. And now that I'm using CPAP, every night my partner is treated to a wonderful simulation of the Golden Age of Steam. :giggle:

The White Noise App(lication) and White Noise Lite App(lication) for iOS devices also have a "Train Noise" option. The link is for the free one.
Does it attempt to use the vibrate mode to simulate the motion of the train too? :giggle:
It would need to jump about an inch at random intervals to simulate crossing an interlocking to pull that off;)

(It's sad, but I can actually tell when we cross the Doswell BBRR by the train having a sudden jolt).

The White Noise App(lication) and White Noise Lite App(lication) for iOS devices also have a "Train Noise" option. The link is for the free one.
Does it attempt to use the vibrate mode to simulate the motion of the train too? :giggle:
No, but it does have a few features:

• Sounds of a drunken passenger yelling.
  • Sounds of snoring
  • Screaming kids
  • Actual sounds of a woman talking on her cell phone for 16 hours.
:giggle: :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a humidifier for white noise in the winter and a fan in the summer. I can't sleep without white noise. I wonder if that's why trains make me so sleepy.

The weirdest thing was when I had a dream, while on the train, that I was on a train with completely different passengers. I made a new friend, and he got off at our stop so we could hang out, etc. It was so bizarre when I woke up and realized I was still on the train and the dream had never happened. Talk about surreal. :blink:

Wasn't someone talking about recording all the various LD routes through the railfan windows? Anderson? Maybe someone with audio recording knowledge can put together a nice soundtrack of various routes for the sleep deprived among us?

One could combine one of those machines with one of those old vibrating motel beds you put a quarter in, and you would think you were riding the old B&O overnight on the Cardinal :giggle:

I downloaded this, along with iTunes and Quick Time, but cannot get it to play on my netbook.....anyone else able to start it on a PC?
Such apps only works with Apple's iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad devices, i.e. not on a netbook/PC running Windows, Mac OS X, or other operating systems.

However, using a search engine you can find free downloadable train sounds playable on your PC, but of course not nearly as convenient as a dedicated piece of software. There might also be similar software available for your PC, or perhaps you could combine train sounds with scheduling software in order to shut the PC down after a while.

I downloaded this, along with iTunes and Quick Time, but cannot get it to play on my netbook.....anyone else able to start it on a PC?
Such apps only works with Apple's iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad devices, i.e. not on a netbook/PC running Windows, Mac OS X, or other operating systems.

However, using a search engine you can find free downloadable train sounds playable on your PC, but of course not nearly as convenient as a dedicated piece of software. There might also be similar software available for your PC, or perhaps you could combine train sounds with scheduling software in order to shut the PC down after a while.
I have it on my Android and it sounds pretty good.

I have a CD "Sleep on a Train," which is sixty minutes of train sounds. Set that on a CD player with the repeat function! :lol:
I have the same one, was going to post it earlier but could not remember the tittle. It sure is relaxing.

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back