Sleeper accommodation discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5280 Guy

Train Attendant
I have booked a trip through the Rockies and have room 4 going and 7 for the trip back. They are on opposite sides.
Here's my question, and I hope it makes sense: Will I sit on one side of the train on the way out and another on the way back? In other words, do they turn the cars around at the end of the line? I don't want to sit on the same side for both trips.

Most, but not all. There are a pretty good number of "push-pulls" running with assorted units for cab control. Acela is powered both ends, as well. Of course, none of this is LD.
Except the Auto Train, which is LD, albeit a special case, and is not turned. Only the locomotives are moved to the front and Auto Carriers to the rear at each terminal station.

I have booked a trip through the Rockies and have room 4 going and 7 for the trip back. They are on opposite sides.
Here's my question, and I hope it makes sense: Will I sit on one side of the train on the way out and another on the way back? In other words, do they turn the cars around at the end of the line? I don't want to sit on the same side for both trips.
No way to know, there is no front and back of cars and hey can be turned at any time.

Thanks, everyone.

All Amtrak rolling equipment can be reversed for whatever reason. A lot of it would just be convenience. About the only constant is that the lead locomotive is always facing forward (unless it's a short-haul train in push mode with a cab car).

2923226657_019d0f32ec_b.jpg

OT, usually single level car trains usually have vestibule of AM-2s and viewliners going toward diner and / or cafe car. So, if same odd or even roomette different sides. Bedrooms definitely. AM-1s on LD have 2 vestibules so who knows? Horizons I forget.

Last edited:
If you request a room in the dorm car that is in front of the sleeper cars, the even numbered are always on the right side of the train. This car always goes the same way as the front has stairs for access to the baggage car so can't be pulled backwards as you could not go through on second level. You have to call and request these rooms as they are used for over flow when regular sleepers get full. Most agents do not know how to this so have them get a supervisor. The down car has about 10 roomettes at the rear with the front reserved for on board crew. Lower level also has bathrooms and lounge area for conductors. Now on the Zephyr the best view is on the right leaving Demver, then on the left after Moffitt tunnel for view of the gorges, then back to right side when Colorado River is on right side to go thru Glenwood Canyon to Glenwood Springs. Then Reno thru Sierra Mountains is best on right side for most of it. So pick your spot!!

As a consolation prize for ending up looking out the same side both ways (if you can't control it) you're likely to see different things anyway. Different daylight hours, different light and shadow directions, different weather, different wildlife. And you should be in the sightseer lounge as much as possible anyway, to see out both sides with bigger windows!

You can also see the scenery on both sides of a Superliner sleeper car from the entry doors at the lower level.

Let me make this simple and try to answer your question.
If you have a roomette in the transition dorm/sleeper the car ALWAYS has the end with the low door toward the diesels, so it is always the same.
Sleepers can vary, one sleeper might have the bedrooms toward the power and the roomettes to the diner and the next sleeper might have the roomettes to the power and the bedrooms to the diner or they might both be the same in either configuration. Your room number either way could be on either side, you just never know till you get on the train and no one can tell you because at times they put the trains together at the last minute!
As said before the best bet is to spend as much time as possible in the sightseer lounge.

I believe I was on a trip with the bag on the end and the low end of the trans dorm was facing it, but that was sleepers to the rear bag last not that common these days. (at least on the SL sets, but Lake Shore NY section is sleepers and bag at the end but that' single level no trans dorm)

So I love traveling, and I’ve been meaning to try a sleeper car. I’m not sure what it’s all about aside from it being a private room. It’s one of the things on my bucket list to experience it. I would be traveling solo. A few things are making me anxious:

• The sleeper car rooms seem to be in their own area. If I were to leave the room (like to go to the snack car), I’m pretty sure I would get lost coming back to the room. I’m not the best at direction, lol.
• Related to the above point, but would I even have to leave the room? I looked on the website, and it says you get a room attendant. What do they do exactly? I know they bring you things…like if I wanted a cup of ice for my own drinks, would they bring me one, or is that something I get myself in the snack car?
• I don’t want to accidentally go into the wrong room. I’m assuming the rooms have room numbers or something so you know which room is yours?
• I understand you tip the room attendant, but unsure how much is a reasonable tip. Is it every time they bring you something or just once, at the ending of your trip?

Thanks! I’m considering upgrading for the following trip.
Pittsburgh->Chicago (9 Hours)
Chicago->Tucson (2+days)

I am assuming that it would be more efficient to upgrade during the second portion (to Tucson) based on the length. 9 hours wouldn’t be worth it in a room? If the prices are decent, I *may* upgrade, but looking to learn a bit more about the rooms first.

• The sleeper car rooms seem to be in their own area. If I were to leave the room (like to go to the snack car), I’m pretty sure I would get lost coming back to the room. I’m not the best at direction, lol.

There are basically only two ways to go on a train-forwards or backwards. If you cannot figure out which way to go, if you go the wrong way you'll run into a (safe) dead end quite soon, so just go back the other way.

• Related to the above point, but would I even have to leave the room? I looked on the website, and it says you get a room attendant. What do they do exactly? I know they bring you things…like if I wanted a cup of ice for my own drinks, would they bring me one, or is that something I get myself in the snack car?

The attendant will bring you a bucket of ice. They also make your bed, keep the bathrooms clean, make sure people get off at the correct stop, and bring meals to your room if you want.

I don’t want to accidentally go into the wrong room. I’m assuming the rooms have room numbers or something so you know which room is yours?

The rooms are numbered. Just remember which car you are in (eg, first or second sleeper from the dining car). Many of us have accidently walked into the wrong room, and it's not a huge deal. It's best to lock your door when you are inside so someone can't accidently come in.

I understand you tip the room attendant, but unsure how much is a reasonable tip. Is it every time they bring you something or just once, at the ending of your trip?

There's a lot of different opinions on this. I am a generous tipper, and tip if my attendant brings me ice or a meal. I don't tip when they make my bed, but I do give a nice tip when I arrive at my destination

There are basically only two ways to go on a train-forwards or backwards. If you cannot figure out which way to go, if you go the wrong way you'll run into a (safe) dead end quite soon, so just go back the other way.

The attendant will bring you a bucket of ice. They also make your bed, keep the bathrooms clean, make sure people get off at the correct stop, and bring meals to your room if you want.

The rooms are numbered. Just remember which car you are in (eg, first or second sleeper from the dining car). Many of us have accidently walked into the wrong room, and it's not a huge deal. It's best to lock your door when you are inside so someone can't accidently come in.

There's a lot of different opinions on this. I am a generous tipper, and tip if my attendant brings me ice or a meal. I don't tip when they make my bed, but I do give a nice tip when I arrive at my destination
Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. The price seems to be a good deal for a roomette, so I may decide to upgrade.

Related to finding your room. You do have to pay attention, or just have a post-it note place above and to the side of your door. Put your first name and destination on it. Some sleeping cars attendant do this, most do not.

Each sleeping car has a number and each room has a number, but if your traveling with multiple sleeping cars you do have to know which one your in, to find your particular room number.

Last edited:
I think you would enjoy the experience. You will also have your meals included which on the western trains most of us feel are pretty good. You can have your meals delivered to your room by your attendant or, in most instances, you can enjoy the dining car.

Bear in mind with roomettes you will have commnual bathrooms and showers. But you will also have access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, which is quite nice. As far as cost, well, I don't know what the latest is but they have been pretty pricey lately. If you are used to going by coach, you could consider taking that between Pittsburgh and Chicago to save a bit.

Some sleepers have the assigned car number on the door when walking between cars; 9812 in this case. That number will be on your ticket.
1644517452784.png

If they don't, they should at least have the physical car number, so make a note of it.

I thought of putting a sticker on my roomette door, but re-considered because it would indicate to others that the room was unoccupied. (You can’t lock your door from the outside.)

Rather, (besides remembering the room number), count the number of rooms you pass until the end of the car. As to which side of the aisle, take note of which side your room is on (L or R) when you are facing your destination. It will, of course, be on the opposite side when you return.

As to identifying which sleeping car, there won’t be that many sleeping cars on the train, so you just have to count how many you pass through on your way to whatever car you’re going to.

Tracking which way to walk when returning to your sleeping car is fairly easy. When you leave your room, note whether you’re walking in the same direction the train is traveling or against it. Head in the opposite direction when returning. (Of course, if the train isn't moving, this idea is not very helpful:) )

By all means, take the roomette instead of coach – especially on the overnight trains. I’ve traveled single in the roomette several times, and it is perfect for comfort and solitude when you want it. And your sleeping car attendant should be quite helpful explaining the basics.

Back