Sleeper accommodation discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in car 540, which was the Transdorm Sleeper on the California Zephyr at the end of June. I was in Roomette #21. I rather liked the room and location. We had our own dedicated room attendant. We had morning coffee and ample bottled water in our car. Using the diagram above, Cabins 15-24 all had paying passengers in them. And one cabin on the other side (cabin 1 or 2) also had a paying customer. Then the rest of the cabins toward the baggage car were reserved for crew. Being peak summer season, they obviously filled every room they could spare with a revenue passenger.

The car was quite quiet since there wasn't much traffic through it other than the people in the car's rooms. The only activity downstairs was when someone used the shower or bathrooms down there. There was never a wait for either. Contrary to what was written in an above post, The upstairs bathroom/shower was closed off for crew and we used the lower level facilities. We still had one bathroom upstairs to use, but needed to go downstairs for the shower (and more bathrooms). Also, passengers in the transdorm sleeper that I was in boarded through the doors on that car just like other sleeper cars that I've been in.

I was in car 540, which was the Transdorm Sleeper on the California Zephyr at the end of June. I was in Roomette #21. I rather liked the room and location. We had our own dedicated room attendant. We had morning coffee and ample bottled water in our car. Using the diagram above, Cabins 15-24 all had paying passengers in them. And one cabin on the other side (cabin 1 or 2) also had a paying customer. Then the rest of the cabins toward the baggage car were reserved for crew. Being peak summer season, they obviously filled every room they could spare with a revenue passenger.

The car was quite quiet since there wasn't much traffic through it other than the people in the car's rooms. The only activity downstairs was when someone used the shower or bathrooms down there. There was never a wait for either. Contrary to what was written in an above post, The upstairs bathroom/shower was closed off for crew and we used the lower level facilities. We still had one bathroom upstairs to use, but needed to go downstairs for the shower (and more bathrooms). Also, passengers in the transdorm sleeper that I was in boarded through the doors on that car just like other sleeper cars that I've been in.
Thanks for your report, there are more than one type of Transdorm, and I ve only been in the one with the 2 Showers/ Bathroom Combos Upstairs, and with the Downstairs reserved for Crew Members!😎

Having a dedicated attendant is a big plus. That would explain why they could open the door for boarding. There are a few different Toilet/Shower configurations. I did ride in a TD once where the crew said feel free to go downstairs, they had coffee/water, on a table in the middle and once I saw the H room in use. Not sure if it was a direct sale, or someone moved from a room with a problem.

Having a dedicated attendant is a big plus. That would explain why they could open the door for boarding. There are a few different Toilet/Shower configurations. I did ride in a TD once where the crew said feel free to go downstairs, they had coffee/water, on a table in the middle and once I saw the H room in use. Not sure if it was a direct sale, or someone moved from a room with a problem.
Everyytime I been in the Transdorm( on the Zephyr,Eage,Chief and Sunset) a Crew Member was occupying the Downstairs H Room.

I've only seen a revenue passenger in it once, I would imagine it is something they try and avoid, since they are usually sharing an attendant, it would be a real PITA to keep track of meals and other needs down there. At least in a regular car with an assigned attendant room, they would have a call button as a possibility.

I’m a regular ol’ revenue passenger and I just booked room H in car 540 on a westbound Zephyr from Denver to Emeryville. It was the only room available.
I'm a regular sleeping car passenger on the Sunset Limited and have the same problem. Right now, Amtrak is still in the Covid mode, they took off cars due to fall in ridership and even though now, ridership is almost back to normal, they are still in Covid mode. They save money by taking off cars, the host railroads charge them by the number of cars on the consist. Also, we are going through times of having a poor CEO (Roger Harris). We've had good and bad in the past, and it looks like this one, like Anderson, just wants to make himself look good by CUTTING. We dedicated Amtrak passengers will just have to ride this one out.

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I read all the posts regarding that their are no locks on the outside door. I read a post online elsewhere that was written by a room state passenger. She stated she saw other passengers using their own padlocks on the outside door. If this is true does anyone know what size of padlock I need?

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I read all the posts regarding that their are no locks on the outside door. I read a post online elsewhere that was written by a room state passenger. She stated she saw other passengers using their own padlocks on the outside door. If this is true does anyone know what size of padlock I need?
I believe that using your own lock on a sleeper door is prohibited. I do not think it would even be possible if allowed.

If you are in your room, you are able to lock it from the inside.

I believe that using your own lock on a sleeper door is prohibited. I do not think it would even be possible if allowed.

If you are in your room, you are able to lock it from the inside.
I think there is some special setup that is used by the train crew occupying Roomettes to lock the door from outside. I am not sure what it is, but I have seen them lock the door from outside. I don;t think any passenger can do so.

That is one of my pet peeves, specially in this age of NFC devices which are used by the likes of Hilton and others to lock their hotel guest rooms. Such locking is available on the NightJet Sleepers for example in Europe. One of the problems has been that the Amtrak Sleepers are all 20th century design and the latest generation did not do any significant update of design. Maybe the next Sleeper acquisition will address this issue.

Crew member rooms in the transdorms can be padlocked as I understand it.

I do not think there is anything for a padlock to hook through on regular passenger rooms.

Don't worry about it. I've traveled for hundreds of thousands of miles in unlockable rooms on Amtrak and VIA on heritage equipment, Superliners and Viewliners. Just put anything valuable out of immediate sight, close the curtain and door, and enjoy the trip.

Crew member rooms in the transdorms can be padlocked as I understand it.

I do not think there is anything for a padlock to hook through on regular passenger rooms.

Don't worry about it. I've traveled for hundreds of thousands of miles in unlockable rooms on Amtrak and VIA on heritage equipment, Superliners and Viewliners. Just put anything valuable out of immediate sight, close the curtain and door, and enjoy the trip.
Except doors don't stay closed. A few years ago, I had a roomette door that had slid open every single time I returned to the room.

And I completely gave up on closing the Superliner H-room door on my just-completed trip. There's a little mechanism that encourages it to stay open, but nothing to keep it closed when unlocked. And there isn't even a curtain on that one.

Except doors don't stay closed. A few years ago, I had a roomette door that had slid open every single time I returned to the room.

And I completely gave up on closing the Superliner H-room door on my just-completed trip. There's a little mechanism that encourages it to stay open, but nothing to keep it closed when unlocked. And there isn't even a curtain on that one.
Yep, doors roll open. That is why curtains should be drawn and velcroed shut.

As I understand it from reading this forum and other sources, these are people’s preferred Superliner accommodations:

Bedroom A:
Generally last choice (to put it mildly 😜) — still, first choice for some solo travellers. It’s smaller and has a different layout than the other Bedrooms, but there’s a solid wall between it and Bedroom B (no rattling door to convert it into a Bedroom Suite). Therefore, it’s less likely that one will hear neighbors’ conversations and toilets flushing. Less likely (maybe?) to be downgraded to accommodate a Bedroom Suite customer who’s been bumped. There may be more noise in Bedroom A from the operation of the door between cars.

Bedrooms B, C, and D:
Not as desirable as E. All connect to the adjoining room (B>C and D>E), and there are neighbors on each side.

Bedroom E:
Most people’s first choice, as there’s only a neighbor on one side and it’s nearest to the center of the car.

Roomettes 2-10:
Upper level. Many seem to prefer Roomettes 5 and 6 because of their distance from the stairs (where the lavatory and coffee bar are) and from the door connecting to the next car. Most prefer the upper-level view, and many prefer not having to go downstairs (except maybe to visit the Café, use the shower, or get a bag.)

Roomettes 11-14:
Lower level. More noise from the operation of the car door and calls of the conductor at stops, and people speaking loudly and using the luggage rack at all hours. Some travellers prefer these Roomettes; they like the sound and rhythm of the rails, or need the advantages in terms of accessibility.

For my usual solo trip - EMY-RNO-EMY (scheduled about 8 hours each way):

I always book a Roomette outbound, as Train 6 out of EMY is usually on time. No need to splurge on a private lavatory/shower, and I’ll likely spend part of the trip dining and socializing with fellow passengers. I enjoy the Dining Car service. I like having a private, locked space to nap or just relax on my own.

If the price is right, I book a Bedroom for the return. Train 5 out of RNO is often delayed and the trip may go into the night. When that happens, the couch to sleep on without making a bed and the private lavatory/shower make the upgrade well worth it.

For my upcoming trip, I am booked in Roomette 5 outbound and Bedroom A return. It will be my first time in both of these particular rooms.

Any thoughts about my observations or your own experiences?

Last edited:
Roomettes 11-14:
Lower level. More noise from the operation of the car door and calls of the conductor at stops, and people speaking loudly and using the luggage rack at all hours. Some travellers prefer these Roomettes; they like the sound and rhythm of the rails, or need the advantages in terms of accessibility.
Another advantage of a lower level room is the possibility of cleaning the outside of your window for clearer photos.

Does anyone know the measurements (in a roomette) of the slot that is to the left of the seat under the clothes hangers area (not the step side) on a superliner? I want to be sure I can fit my tote bag there. Thanks

Does anyone know the measurements (in a roomette) of the slot that is to the left of the seat under the clothes hangers area (not the step side) on a superliner? I want to be sure I can fit my tote bag there. Thanks
Be aware that your sleeper may have a closet there. The inside a closet is slightly wider than a women's sneaker, so the non-closet room may be the width of 1-1/2 sneakers??

Has anyone stayed in a V2 bag dorm roomette? I’ll be in one next month on 19 ATL-NOL. Looking forward to it since it’ll be my first V2 roomette experience.

Is there an order in how sleeper rooms are filled? Does Amtrak fill up a car before moving on to the next car or do they spread out the passenger load evenly amongst all the sleeper cars in the train putting one party in each car before doubling up on a 2nd party.

Do they alternate left and right side?

Or is it 100% random.

Is there an order in how sleeper rooms are filled? Does Amtrak fill up a car before moving on to the next car or do they spread out the passenger load evenly amongst all the sleeper cars in the train putting one party in each car before doubling up on a 2nd party.

Do they alternate left and right side?

Or is it 100% random.
In the case of superliner bedrooms, I believe that E is sold first in the first car, then the second car, then D. In the case of Viewliner bedrooms, I believe that B is sold in the first car, then in the second car. I believe roomettes are likewise sold in number order, smaller number first.

In the case of superliner bedrooms, I believe that E is sold first in the first car, then the second car, then D. In the case of Viewliner bedrooms, I believe that B is sold in the first car, then in the second car. I believe roomettes are likewise sold in number order, smaller number first.
just call to make reservations and get room number u want. they will tell what is available. I always call to get room 5 or 6 roomette.
Altho few times were not available on date I wanted.

just call to make reservations and get room number u want. they will tell what is available. I always call to get room 5 or 6 roomette.
Altho few times were not available on date I wanted.
I made the mistake of booking online and was automatically assigned roomette 13 on the lower level. I don't believe the room assignment was displayed before I clicked purchase. When I called to ask for a change to the upper level. I was told I could do so for a higher bucket price. What a bummer! They want you to do everything online these days, and then they penalize you for doing so.

I made the mistake of booking online and was automatically assigned roomette 13 on the lower level. I don't believe the room assignment was displayed before I clicked purchase. When I called to ask for a change to the upper level. I was told I could do so for a higher bucket price. What a bummer! They want you to do everything online these days, and then they penalize you for doing so.
I don't believe they can charge you the higher fare for modifying your reservation in the same train. Try calling again and if you get the same answer, escalate it.

Back