Sleeper Door Locks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or.....

Amtrak consider's the "honor system" the most cost effective...

Reminds me of the airports nowadays....at one time when you retrieved your checked baggage from the 'carousel', you had to produce your matching claim checks to an attendant at the exit. On all my recent flights, you simply grabbed your bag, and exited. This results in people claiming wrong bags that usually are later returned, but can also result in stolen bags. I asked one of the airport personnel about this, and their reply was that the airlines found it more cost-effective to pay occasional fraudulent claims, and real claims, then to pay for the necessary staffing to check each tag. They further stated that the security camera's were a deterrent to fraud and theft, as well as their insurance data bases that would flag frequent claims...

That reminds me of a fake product review I read on Amazon for uranium ore. I honestly don't see an end door code working. As take the meteor it operates three sleepers. Does each one have a code to get in. Then the 12 car has a lot of codes to remember.

Attached is the troll review ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1451287588.523388.jpg

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1451287600.957336.jpg

I was figuring one code, first end door, or card key, but it may not be that worthwhile anyway. I am prepared to take the issue more seriously, as soon as someone can pry loose some numbers to show the actual magnitude of the issue. If it is anything other than rare and isolated, or is shown to be increasing in frequency by any appreciable margin, new approaches may need to be explored. The feeling of being violated after a theft or break in of any kind is often more serious than the loss itself, so even minor theft if it is occurring more than rarely can not be dismissed. On the other hand, it will be very tough to make a case to spend large amounts of money both initially and in ongoing maintenance if we are talking one I pad or camera a month. I know that isn't what I would want to hear as someone who has had a loss, but I believe that is how they think.

It seems very uncommon to have an entire bag stolen out of a roomette. Probably this is a high-risk theft attempt, too easy for an employee to spot as "out of place" behavior.

Most of the reported thefts are people rifling through bags for small items. Lock your suitcases.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I have also heard while riding is the "someone took my bag and left theirs which looks exactly the same while leaving in a hurry because they weren't ready" from the downstairs rack in a SL sleeper. Not malicious, but sure can ruin a trip for both parties involved. Sure, we could carry a cable lock and thread it through the handles, but it's sort of sad we have to. After I had a car stolen, even though I received an extremely generous insurance settlement, leaving me no real economic loss, for about a year I used to wake up in the middle of the night and look out the window to see if the car was still there. The emotional aspect may be more important than the actual loss. Funny thing about getting up in the middle of the night - my car was stolen in broad daylight!

It seems very uncommon to have an entire bag stolen out of a roomette. Probably this is a high-risk theft attempt, too easy for an employee to spot as "out of place" behavior.
Is there any evidence that Amtrak actually tracks passenger thefts? Has anyone ever requested a FOIA tally of claimed thefts? I don't think we know quite enough to make any broad generalizations just get.

They sort of have to track them if a police report is made, but I've never seen the type of reports publicly issued from Amtrak like the ones NYPD and MTA issue for NYC area transit systems. I think you make a fair statement about lack of data, it is similar to what I said in some previous posts.

I have never had an issue on Amtrak. When we travel She Who Must Be Obeyed has a KYSS bag, which is a simple solution to a bag not wandering. It has a cable that slides out and locks around any stationary object Very ingenious and not very expensive. We primarily use it in hotel rooms to lock up the valuables while exploring. Peace of mind without a lot of hassle.

On of the principle reasons we no longer use the H Room is due to the fact folks barge in thinking it is a toilet or a shower (so much for reading is fundamental) so we are forced to latch the door at all times. Not my vision of the universe.

On[e] of the principle reasons we no longer use the H Room is due to the fact folks barge in thinking it is a toilet or a shower (so much for reading is fundamental) so we are forced to latch the door at all times.
Perhaps using tape (duct, gaffers, etc.) to affix something to the door like one of the following might deter the illiterate... http://www.clker.com/cliparts/0/0/3/9/11949848301163357016radioactive_sign_01.svg ...or... http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/501239539-no-entry-sign-vector-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GcrzeRDP2b1mdPMb0Fz1NiX1peHs8tT%2BKIZ2gRQ94MzNFtmcujxQHH3wnzWe99vd

However, I'm fully confident this idea will elicit a good many posts stating why such a dastardly idea is verboten because it's not permitted by the rules - even if gaffers tape were to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought this and am happy with it @ $11/roll:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVCG5P8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Betty has a roll as well, she may chime in with her experience.
Yes, I received a roll in the mail quite unexpectedly, Ryan. ;) I have not used it yet, though. The "problems" others speak of have not bothered me enough to take it out of my bag (I just take a straw or pen with some wrapped around it, not the whole roll).

I do agree though that it's better than duct tape since I do know duct tape leaves a nasty residue and that gaffers tape does not (I do a little local theater).

Actually there is a way you can somewhat fake "lock" your door. Im sure everyone is familiar with the small chain locks that are on some doors in hotels and some homes. Where you can open the door and see and speak to whoever is on the other side while the chain is still locked. I used something similar to those. I always bring a small link of chain and hook one end on my luggage and the other end, I do a MacGyver and hook it on the door latch. Then I put the luggage on the opposite side of the way the door slides open. And when you exit you have to adjust the luggage so you can shut the door as close to closed as possible...then shut it completely. It wont stop someone from coming in if they really wanted in, but anyone who tried opening the door would feel the resistance and see the chain and more than likely stop and leave, not knowing if someone was in there or not. Its better than nothing at all. I started doing this after one trip to dinner and saw someone standing at our open door when we returned. He said he was in the wrong car and apologized. I didnt believe him.

What Railroad Bill said. :lol: The only time I ever experienced a person in a sleeper room when they didn't belong in it was when I went to my room but was in the wrong car. I walked in looked around and quickly realized it wasn't my room, backed up and left ASAP, totally embarrassed. :wub:

you too ?
Me too

so embarrassing

You could put one of those battery operated motion detector screeeching alarms in a place that needs to be frequented - JUST make sure
your car attendant doesn't have a heart attack in turning down your quarters for the evening.
And of course when you return to your quarters remember to disable the alarm first.
Electronics have a way of keeping crooks at bay - even a simple flashing blinking LED - not worth the risk - - -

Interesting side note - anyone here been a victim of on board Amtrak crime ?

In most cases, a Conductor must scan your ticket before you enter the sleepers from the diner or lounge. I always have my e-ticket on my phone because I’ve been asked a couple times. Coach passengers are forbidden from entering the sleepers—except in exorbitant circumstances..

Harris burh is end of the line for the Keystones, those run with ACS-64 and AM-1 cars. Having them there makes sense. And with the reduced schedules on both the NEC and Keystones, spares should not be an issue.

In most cases, a Conductor must scan your ticket before you enter the sleepers from the diner or lounge. I always have my e-ticket on my phone because I’ve been asked a couple times. Coach passengers are forbidden from entering the sleepers—except in exorbitant circumstances..
I've only done a half dozen or so sleeper trips, but I've never encountered that. I would imagine that if you happen to run into a SCA who doesn't recognize you that you might be challenged, but I've never seen anyone guarding the door to the sleeper.

I’ve never been asked for my ticket once the original scan has been made. I have freely moved about the train without issue (I do carry my ticket with me though)

I've never seen this happen.

My understanding is that in a Roomette or Bedroom you have the run of the train -
In coach stick to those coach cars - except passing thru to a cafe diner concession car.
Maybe old school etiquette !

Crooks generally stick to stuff and venues they know. It is very unlikely that a crook would buy a train ticket and wander in the sleeper section just to grab a random suitcase. Which if one of mine, he would be very disappointed. For that matter, the only coach theft I ever saw turned out to be a mistaken bag.

I been on over 50 trips on Amtrak, and the only theft I remember was a fellow who left his camera on his coach seat. Not smart.

Back