sleeper pax - free drinks in lounge car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.P. Roberts

Conductor
I've never heard of this before, but over on one of the Facebook groups someone claimed that sleeper passengers (according to their SCA) were allowed to get free soft drinks in the lounge car. Is this true?

Some years ago they had free soft drinks available in the sleeping cars in the little cans/bottles. Those have been gone a long time. Never in the lounge car, and I have been riding regularly since Amtrak began.

Zephy17's answer is correct. I've been riding regularly since 1970's and while soft drinks use to be available in the sleeping car, they have never been free in the lounge cars.

An exception due to extraordinary circumstances like an extremely delayed train, or a train that joins another with a diner that is so late as to miss a meal can cause special things to happen, like KFC or Amstew, but a casual rider might have mistaken that "one off" as a norm. On many trains, BC passengers (not sleeper) do get comp soft drinks, but they would not have heard it from an SCA.

An exception due to extraordinary circumstances like an extremely delayed train, or a train that joins another with a diner that is so late as to miss a meal can cause special things to happen, like KFC or Amstew, but a casual rider might have mistaken that "one off" as a norm. On many trains, BC passengers (not sleeper) do get comp soft drinks, but they would not have heard it from an SCA.
Is it safe assuming all TA-SC (SCA) know that?

I was just thinking of the SCAs on the LD trains that have (until recently) not had BC. But all (whether working as SCA or TA) should Over the years, it seems like we always see things that we would expect people to know, but there seems to be a disconnect. Look how many times we see a situaion that requires resolution by a spervisor because the regular reservation agent didn't know how to do something, or didn't want to do something or just didn't understand what someone wanted. I no longer assume anything, but I learn quite a bit from some of the folks here.

I explained to a couple of SCA's that Tonic Water (with quinine) prevents leg cramps and "restless leg syndrome" for many people. I asked for a can about an hour before I was ready

to go to bed and got it with no charge. On a trip with my wife in coach a few years ago she asked me to try to get a can for her in the cafe. I got a can for free

since it is not on the menu. They have it in stock to make a gin and tonic for someone willing to pay for it

I explained to a couple of SCA's that Tonic Water (with quinine) prevents leg cramps and "restless leg syndrome" for many people. I asked for a can about an hour before I was ready

to go to bed and got it with no charge. On a trip with my wife in coach a few years ago she asked me to try to get a can for her in the cafe. I got a can for free

since it is not on the menu. They have it in stock to make a gin and tonic for someone willing to pay for it
About getting it from cafe, even though it's considered a non-revenue item (do we don't really have to account for it), we're not suppose to give it away unless for good reason. I use to do so when I was new because I was too timid to say no. I have a few co-workers who will ring it in as a miscellaneous categoried item (meant to be used for this sort of purpose), and collect $2 or $2.25 that we might've left on the table otherwise.

I support this sort of idea, but it's a slippery slope. Why pay $3 for Perrier, when you could pay 2 for club soda. $2 for bloody mary mix that we need to hope isn't enabling someone to make a bloody mary, unless in a sleeper?

Sorry for going off topic!

Triley, thanks for your clarification on the topic. Would it be safe to say that if a Diabetic is having a Diabetic Emergency then giving away a can or two of Pepsi would be ok?
I have actually done this before, though I'd suggest OJ instead. ;) (At least that's what one of my former extremely diabetic managers would chug.)

Triley, thanks for your clarification on the topic. Would it be safe to say that if a Diabetic is having a Diabetic Emergency then giving away a can or two of Pepsi would be ok?
I have actually done this before, though I'd suggest OJ instead. ;) (At least that's what one of my former extremely diabetic managers would chug.)

I'm diabetic and I can tell you that OJ is far better for sugar crashes than pepsi according to every one of the health professionals I've seen in the 10+ years since I was diagnosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back