Sleeper Sale/Interesting AGR Experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long story short. I get the email from Amtrak about the free railfare for a companion in roomette/bedroom.

Great! Hubby and I have been wanting to do the Cardinal. Go to link, DER > CHI in coach, CHI > CLF in bedroom and return - just shy of my available points. Get all the way to confirmation page. It says it's sending me the tickets and then - "Can't do it, call Amtrack".

Call AGR, not the regular #. Rep looks and his end has the trip at about 1000 points more. We discuss this and I say "just book my trip CHI > CLF and CLF > CHI > DER. I will buy the DER > CHI tickets separate" (not worried about that connection). The rep said "Well, we could do that, but I will just comp you the points needed to make the trip free."

I almost fell out of my chair. I didn't know they could do that. And he did. I have the ticket. Wow.

Can't remember the exact circumstances, but I remember an agent letting me use a voucher for a ticket straight across, when the voucher was something like $5.00 shy of the ticket value. Amtrak agents can be really nice! So it pays to be friendly and always assume the best, till proven otherwise (and if proven otherwise, stay friendly but find an excuse to hang up and try to get a different one, LOL).

Back