Sleeper tips I am providing for my brother's Amtrak trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yumacool

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I am assembling a list of tips to provide to my brother for the trip he is taking on the California Zephyr leaving Emeryville for Denver later this month. He is taking his wife and two daughters in roomettes located across the aisle from each other. He has never taken his family on an Amtrak trip, though he enjoys trains and is looking forward to the experience. If this trip is a good one, maybe others will follow.

I put together the following "tips" earlier this afternoon, but am wondering if anybody has any ideas on others I might include. I should mention that most of my train travel has been onboard the Coast Starlight, as recently as three weeks ago, though I've ridden several other Amtrak routes. I'll appreciate other ideas ...

[SIZE=12pt]Amtrak sleeper tips:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1) Your attendant will make up your beds in the evening and again in the morning at whatever time you specify;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2) Breakfast in the diner begins at 6:30 a.m., but it isn’t announced on the loudspeaker this early in the morning;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3) Your meals in the dining car include free beverages and desserts, in addition to the entrees, so get them if you want. Oftentimes I have asked for (and received) more than one type of beverage (such as coffee and a glass of milk). The diner serves grilled salmon for dinner, which Lorraine likes. The steak served is good, too – no gristle or bone. Also, the potatoes are baked and not microwaved, which I like better (at least they are on the Coast Starlight.) The diner serves side salads at lunch and dinner, which I typically get along with my entrée. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4) If you want ice in your sleeper room, ask the attendant and he will bring it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]5) You have to “go with the flow” when you travel on Amtrak. Sometimes the train will be put on sidings to let freight trains go by, but don’t let it bug you. Remember that padding is built into the schedule. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]6) It’s somewhat of a bummer, but there is no window for the person getting the upper berth in a roomette. The bottom bunk is wider, too. It seems weird when first climbing to the top bunk, because it seems like the ceiling is too low. Once you lay down, though, it is fine. It's nice to have a good flashlight up there because the reading lights don't always point where you want. By the way, I should say that I ALWAYS get the top bunk![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]7) One of the important things Lorraine and I do is get two extra blankets from the sleeper attendant early in the trip. We’ve both been on trains where the night air gets cold and the extra blanket is really helpful. An extra blanket isn’t always necessary, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. If you try to get an extra blanket in the middle of the night, good luck …[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]8) Your sleeper includes a shower on the lower level. I’ve done it several times, and it works. The trains of the golden age of rail travel didn’t have showers, so it’s kind of neat. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]9) Your attendant will deliver meals to your room if you want, but we find it a lot more fun to go to the diner. I’m sure that’s what you’ll want to do. If someone wants to sleep in instead of going to breakfast, it’s easiest just to order an extra breakfast and bring it back to the car yourself.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]10) Free coffee and juice is available in your sleeper car between 6 a.m. and 11 a.m.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]11) Your train will stop in Grand Junction, Colo., where there is a store in the depot. Many people from the train will visit the store during the extended stop there. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] I look forward to comments![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Chuck[/SIZE]

Salads are still provided with your lunch and dinner but they are not brought automatically, you must ask for them.

Bring earplugs, especially if you're a light sleeper. Even though the horn is all the way at the front of the train, you'll sometimes hear people (conductor, passengers) walking down the halls at night.

If you are a side sleeper, try to sleep on your stomach or back, and leave the covers tucked in as much as possible. You won't get jostled as much.

Bottom bunk: ask for an extra pillow and put it next to the table so your hip doesn't slam into it all night.

If the closet door is rattling at night, just open it all the way and leave it open. :) If you aren't using the hangers, set them on the bottom of the closet so they don't bang against the closet wall all night.

Last edited by a moderator:
My two cents: Yes, the attendant will make up beds, but the request should be for a reasonable hour, say, 10pm, as the attendant in most cases wants to go to bed, too. Also, it is not necessary, but it is very much appropriate, to tip the dining car staff like one would in a restaurant. If the sleeper attendant provides good service, he or she should be tipped, also.

Be sure and read the FAQ Section, Trip Reports and the General Amtrak Discussion area here on AU about the California Zephyr, lots of great info and tips.

When it comes to meals in the Dinner, they will have Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast,Lunch and an early Dinner ( if on time into Denver). It'susually best to take the early Rez times for meals, they start running out of the popular items after a few meals and service seems to be slower the later it gets as the staff gets overworked and stressed.( ie steaks, deserts etc.) Breakfast is first come, first served, and can have a waiting list by 730am ( service starts @_630@m).

As for the Sightseer Lounge, it is very popular going through the Sierras ( best side is the Left side) between Sacramento and Reno and in Colorado between Grand Junction and Denver.

Even though they have two Rommettes so things can be viewed out both sides, the Sightseer Lounge is where you want to be whenever possible! ( since it's a family the tables @ one end are the best seats so they can sit together and can see in both directions!)

Bring earplugs, especially if you're a light sleeper. Even though the horn is all the way at the front of the train, you'll sometimes hear people (conductor, passengers) walking down the halls at night.

If you are a side sleeper, try to sleep on your stomach or back, and leave the covers tucked in as much as possible. You won't get jostled as much.

Bottom bunk: ask for an extra pillow and put it next to the table so your hip doesn't slam into it all night.

If the closet door is rattling at night, just open it all the way and leave it open. :) If you aren't using the hangers, set them on the bottom of the closet so they don't bang against the closet wall all night.
Not disputing your experiences sleeping, just offering another's experience.

I'm a side sleeper and don't recall ever getting jostled or hitting the table/wall on the lower bunk.

Not disputing your experiences sleeping, just offering another's experience.

I'm a side sleeper and don't recall ever getting jostled or hitting the table/wall on the lower bunk.
I hit the table when I'm on my stomach or back. My hips are much wider than yours. ;)

When taking photographs through train windows, it's important to hold the camera as close as possible to the window. Doing so will eliminate some or many of the reflections from the room interior which can degrade the image. Even better is to fabricate a lens shade or skirt similar to this one... http://www.lenskirt.com/lenskirt/ ...to totally exclude interior reflections. These interior reflections are especially troublesome when taking pictures through a window the Sun is shining on.

I learned a great trick from an SCA if you have a seat back that will not lay perfectly flat when made into the berth-she showed me how to jam a toilet roll between it and the ledge, forcing it to stay flat. And either way you lay down, the roll is not in your way.

I have a couple.

Take advantage of the lower level baggage rack. Keep the larger bag in the rack and use smaller bags in your room. Believe me it is a lot less hassle than stuffing a large bag in the room.

Bring an extension cord and a travel power strip. There is only one outlet in each roomette.

Bring duct tape. This way if you find your roomette is getting too hot or cold you can cover the vents with the duct tape to keep that excessive warm or cold air from coming in.

:) If you aren't using the hangers, set them on the bottom of the closet so they don't bang against the closet wall all night.
Sarah, this is so true! On my first trip north of SAC on the Coast Starlight, I was in roomette 10. My head was on the closet end of the roomette and I had my small backpack hanging on the hook of the closet wall. I kept waking up and hearing this tap-tap-tap noise, and I would grab on to the strap of my backpack to keep the swaying from causing the buckle to tap against the closet wall. It wasn't until the next morning that I discovered that incessant tapping was actually the plastic hangers hitting the inside of the closet wall.

Now removing the hangers is the FIRST thing I do when I get into a roomette.

When taking photographs through train windows, it's important to hold the camera as close as possible to the window. Doing so will eliminate some or many of the reflections from the room interior which can degrade the image. Even better is to fabricate a lens shade or skirt similar to this one... http://www.lenskirt.com/lenskirt/ ...to totally exclude interior reflections. These interior reflections are especially troublesome when taking pictures through a window the Sun is shining on.
Looks like a neat product. I usually just use my iphone for pictures and i hold it directly onto the glass, which is OK unless you're trying to shoot from an angle. I'm always amazed when I see people with fancy SLR cameras in the Sightseer Lounge taking pictures out the windows with the flash activated. When they get home and review their photos, they are probably mostly unintentional "selfies".

On both of my trips last month, the SCA announced first call for make down to be 8 PM and final make down had to be by 10PM when they went off duty until 6 AM. Remaking the room in the morning was by pushing the SCA call button when you went to breakfast which each SCA announced at the beginning of the evening. Power strip, GPS, extra bottle of water held back just incase, a few emergency snacks, just a few things I carry in a small backpack so I can keep my main bag on the lower shelves. I keep my toilet bag in an easy access zipper of my bag so I can pull it out for my shower. The first bathroom downstairs has a fold down table I place a hand towel on to place my items on while getting ready in the morning. Watching the sum rise in the morning during or just before breakfast is inspiring in the DC or the SSL.

Your tips are the first time I've heard of an people getting Ice Cream on board, much less getting it delivered to your room.

I usually tell people to expect inconsistencies. While someone may have been able to get or do something on one train (or station) doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be able to get/do it on another.

While it's unlikely since they have kids & will be eating with them; but Dining Car seating is communal so they could be sat with another passenger. Most people like this, but some don't. The staff will try and keep the family together, so they're more likely to experience this if someone doesn't have a meal (or eats at a different time).

Use the Sightseer Lounge car!!!!! It's by far the best way to see the country. Additionally there is food & drinks available on the lower-level for purchase (no feebies, maybe coffee, for Sleepers here.) Just an FYI, there is no Pacific Parlor Car on the Cali Zeph.

peter

Power strip is a good idea... but a better idea is a "pigtail" - that's a short (1 foot) extension cord, typically used between a power strip and a wall-mounted transformer when there's no more room for transformers on a strip. The pigtail takes much less space in your bag but still solves the problem where the outlet is buried too deep for a transformer to plug in directly. Then we manage charging our multiple devices by taking turns. This has worked amazingly well for us. Also... some Superliner roomettes don't need the pigtail, but you don't know ahead of time, so bring it anyway. We've never had a bedroom, however, that didn't need the pigtail for the outlet next to the bench seat.

Maybe it was just our various SCAs, but extra pillows (1 extra for each of us) and an extra blanket were in the bedrooms when we boarded. We needed to ask when we were in roomettes, however.

The salad tip is important - you definitely have to ask now, as it's a recent change.

Luggage - two bags: big bag for your destination, and stow it in the downstairs bin. Little bag for your room with changes for just the trip, and toiletries.

Top bunk in a roomette is not for the claustrophobic. Bedroom top bunk is much better... it's amazing what a couple of extra inches each direction can do.

Nearly every SCA we've had has announced when he or she is going to bed, and some have announced turn-down times unless you tell them otherwise. They are never off-duty, however, as they must hit the ground at the major stops or if a sleeper customer is boarding/disembarking, even if its 4 a.m.

Duct tape? NO! It damages things. If you are compelled to tape stuff as defense against rattles or "overenthusiastic" air vents, bring wide masking tape. Door rattles can usually be solved with washcloths.

The little store in the depot at Grand Junction didn't have much the last two or three times we were there, and it's always been heavy on trinkets, anyway. I thought the selection of snacks, etc., in the lounge car was better. But that must be me.

Use the Sightseer Lounge car!!!!! It's by far the best way to see the country. Additionally there is food & drinks available on the lower-level for purchase (no feebies, maybe coffee, for Sleepers here.) Just an FYI, there is no Pacific Parlor Car on the Cali Zeph.
Oooooohhhh, that depends on what ride experience you're after. We have always found the Lounge car to be a little loud for our style. Others, however, may consider the din "convivial". Be aware that some conductors tolerate coach passengers stretching out and sleeping in the Lounge at night, although I am under the impression they're really not supposed to.

Oooooohhhh, that depends on what ride experience you're after. We have always found the Lounge car to be a little loud for our style. Others, however, may consider the din "convivial". Be aware that some conductors tolerate coach passengers stretching out and sleeping in the Lounge at night, although I am under the impression they're really not supposed to.
There is nothing in the Blue Book banning people from sleeping in the lounge over night; although it is the encouraged place for people who wish to be noisy to go. Regular sleeping car users dislike the practice and are quite vocal about it here on AU. Onboard your results may vary although I'm hearing more and more that it is becoming an accepted practice by train staff, much to the chagrin of the regular sleeper travelers.

peter

We always bring a deck of cards.

I try and take a shower when I know the train will be stopped for at least 15 minutes (if possible)

Something like this kids play ball...

IMG_1936b.JPG

...might make a good make-shift lens shade for taking photos through a window if its interior is darkened with a magic marker. If it was rigid, flat black spray paint would work but I think its flexibility might cause the paint to flake off. Maybe.

I roll my duct tape around a pencil. I also use a wall plugin with two USB ports as well as a short extension cord. Air pillow don't leave home without one. Hooded sweatshirt to ward off Arctic Amtrak I have never had a warm trip. I just might get a lenskirt much better design than my Kentucky license cushioned shade. As mother said good tips get good service.

Just experimented with Rustoleum Flat Black spray paint on the interior surface of the play ball in Post #22 with dismal results - paint not dry after 6 hours. Perhaps Krylon Fusion For Plastic... http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/ ...would work better. Maybe. Photos taken with the white interior of this particular play ball make the reflections worse! Oh well, it was just one those ideas that that didn't have merit.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back