When is Sleeping Car returning to WAS-BOS overnight train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We probably have different experiences. I haven't seen this ever, especially where there are alternate modes of transit at an equal price.

I have a feeling the "right price" is so low it would be out of the question.
So you are saying that you have never seen people travel in Coach overnight sleeping in the reclining seats next to strangers? 🤔

So you are saying that you have never seen people travel in Coach overnight sleeping in the reclining seats next to strangers? 🤔
Not what I meant at all.
I thought this went without saying, but I was mistaken. Changing into PJs, going through a night routine, and getting under the covers in a room full of strangers is a very different thing than nodding off in coach....

Not what I meant at all.
I thought this went without saying, but I was mistaken. Changing into PJs, going through a night routine, and getting under the covers in a room full of strangers is a very different thing than nodding off in coach....
Pardon my confusion since the message you were responding to did not imply anything like changing into PJs in a private room. Or at least I could not see how one could possibly come to that conclusion from the following...
The thing is Americans are perfectly willing to sleep in a room with strangers, even sitting upright, if the price is right.

Pardon my confusion since the message you were responding to did not imply anything like changing into PJs in a private room. Or at least I could not see how one could possibly come to that conclusion from the following...

Let me make this a little clearer, and reiterate my original post.
The question at hand was whether sleeper trains in America similar to ones you see in China and Europe, with multiple (4-6) beds in one room, can work. I posited that I don't think this would work given a culture difference. While the commentary regarding sleeping upright in coach was brought up, I don't think its a level comparison.

In couchettes passengers only remove shoes and coats unless a family or group booked the whole compartment.
Then, in my experience, people must not follow the rules.

Then, in my experience, people must not follow the rules.
How would anyone know whether people would or would not follow the rules (whatever they are for a nonexistent thing) in a type of accommodation that does not exist in this country on rail other than it being a mere conjecture?

What rules do people follow in using lie flat seats in premium cabins on airlines?

How would anyone know whether people would or would not follow the rules (whatever they are for a nonexistent thing) in a type of accommodation that does not exist in this country other than it being a mere conjecture?

I'm not really trying to start a huge disagreement here, and I think its fair to say my original point with the American public not embracing 6-berth sleeper trains is reasonable.

These sorts of trains do exist in China, and people very much carry out their night routines as if they are at home, which I think is perfectly fine.
Perhaps these rules are not enacted on these trains.

That said, though these trains don't exist in America, I think its fair to say that rules get bent all of the time, sometimes to the discomfort (or not) of fellow passengers. People often change into PJs on redeye domestic flights.

How would anyone know whether people would or would not follow the rules (whatever they are for a nonexistent thing) in a type of accommodation that does not exist in this country on rail other than it being a mere conjecture?

What rules do people follow in using lie flat seats in premium cabins on airlines?
Many airlines actually include pajamas in the amenities kit ultra premium First Class passengers get. Back in economy it's not unusual to see people wearing sweatpants and t-shirts on longhaul flights.

That said, though these trains don't exist in America, I think its fair to say that rules get bent all of the time, sometimes to the discomfort (or not) of fellow passengers. People often change into PJs on redeye domestic flights.
So the same Americans are OK doing whatever on domestic flights, but they won't be OK on trains. OK I can see that there is no logic to an unfounded opinion. I am happy to leave it at that. 😬

So the same Americans are OK doing whatever on domestic flights, but they won't be OK on trains. OK I can see that there is no logic to an unfounded opinion. I am happy to leave it at that. 😬
No need to be so rude about it. I never once posited anything offensive to you, so I would hope that you would show the same grace towards others who share a passion for trains like you.

We can agree to disagree without insulting each other, I would hope.
I very well could be wrong about what I think.
But at the same time, I could be right. Its not set in stone.

No need to be so rude about it. I never once posited anything offensive to you, so I would hope that you would show the same grace towards others who share a passion for trains like you.
I would you be so rude as to call someone else pointing out a demonstrated fact rude? 🤪

We probably have different experiences. I haven't seen this ever, especially where there are alternate modes of transit at an equal price.
You ever ride 66/67? Even without sleepers, it's a very well patronized train. I'm amazed at the number of people who either need to be out and about during the wee hours or don't mind sleeping sitting up (OK, sitting reclined in a sort of lounger) sharing space with strangers.

The point of offering sleeper service on Amtrak isn't to make it cheap, it's to allow Amtrak to soak up some extra financial gravy to help their revenue bottom line. If passengers want cheap, they can ride in very roomy reclining coach seats. The challenge for Amtrak is to figure out a combination of fares and service levels for the sleepers that will maximize their net revenue. If the service level costs too much and the fares are too low, then net revenue is not maximized. If fares are too high and the service sucks (hi, flex dining!), then they may lose customers, but it's possible net revenue would not be impacted as badly.

Having ridden 66/67 overnight in business class many times, I can say that the only thing I'd want from a sleeper is the ability for lie-flat sleeping. The only other on-board service I've ever used was getting a nightcap in the lounge car. Train 67 leaves Boston at about 9:30 and gets into Washington at about 7:00 the next morning. No need for breakfast, you can get that in the station. When I rode it, I used to go right to the office and get a shower downstairs in the fitness center. It would be entirely reasonable to offer lower Washington-Boston sleeper fares on the basis that there's no included meal service. Actually, keep the service level minimal the whole way, and have cheap(er) sleeper fares for the whole run from Newport News to Boston.

There is a blank column appearing for NEC trains now concerning the various ticket classes. Could that be for rooms, as you have it on the Western trains?

Last edited:
Keep an eye on the available classes of service for 66/67 over the next few days. Maybe run your searches for travel beginning April 5... ;)
There is a blank column appearing now for NEC trains now concerning the various ticket classes. Could that be for rooms, as you have it on the Western trains?
Time to revive the name, "Night Owl"?...:)

$340 for a room, one-way, BOS-WAS. Way too high, IMO.

I rode overnight several times in the NEC. Here's my ticket stub on #67 from Boston to Washington back in May 1997. Fare with a Roomette (old style) was $156.50......about $255. today.

Always enjoyed that ride. I'd get aboard in Boston early and set my alarm so I would be awake for the views of Manhattan from the run up over Hell Gate Bridge then on down into Penn Station. I might get a bit more sleep...then see the sun rise over the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay.

2021-03-05_083707.jpg2021-03-05_083819.jpg

Back