When is Sleeping Car returning to WAS-BOS overnight train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$340 for a room, one-way, BOS-WAS. Way too high, IMO.
Well, this is just the whole situation we've been discussing here isn't it. For a 450 mile, one night segment, Amtrak's pricing is just way too expensive for most people. If they want to decide that Amtrak's sleeper categories are premium only, that's fine, but we're not going to get more people to ride these this way.

Which is a big shame because I know there are creative ways of creating a more budget-friendly sleeper service, especially for a train like this, where you really do not have to worry about food and could provide it, but it would take ordering a whole set of new cars and recreating sleeper offerings. Probably to something like lie-flat seats on airplanes, as somebody mentioned before.

$340 for a room, one-way, BOS-WAS. Way too high, IMO.
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it is definitely expensive.

But on the other hand, in normal times, a hotel room in Boston, New York, or Washington is going to cost that much if not more. So you are essentially getting your transportation for free when you factor in that you are saving on a night in a hotel.

Notice I said ",In normal times." I just booked the Courtyard Times Square West for $111 on a Saturday night for this coming July. These are definitely not normal times.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it is definitely expensive.

But on the other hand, in normal times, a hotel room in Boston, New York, or Washington is going to cost that much if not more. So you are essentially getting your transportation for free when you factor in that you are saving on a night in a hotel.

Notice I said ",In normal times." I just booked the Courtyard Times Square West for $111 on a Saturday night for this coming July. These are definitely not normal times.
Actually, even before Covid, you could get a hotel room in downtown Boston for a good bit less than $300. If you searched bit, you could even find rooms at nice hotels for less than $200 (at least in the winter.) Of course, it all depends on the week. For a few years, I was staying over Martin Luther King Day, and I found rooms within walking distance of South Station under $200. Then I moved my trip to late February and I had to go stay over by the Tufts Medical Center to find a place at about $200. I found out that the American Physics Society always holds their annual meeting that week, which explained the jump in hotel room prices. Last year, I moved my trip a week later, and the prices were a bit lower. I'm not sure what happens in the summer, except that I know that hotel rooms in Portland, Maine are totally unaffordable in the summer.

Another question: Are they actually going to serve food to sleeper passengers? I would think that the SCA could handle preparation of flex meals in the cafe car, the 67 sure gets into Washington pretty early to expect a breakfast, unless it's a to-go continental breakfast. Of course, there's more time (and need for meals) for people traveling from Boston to Richmond or Newport News, though I suspect they would be a minority of the passengers.

From my recollection of previous travels when a sleeper was available, you received a bottle of water in the evening and a continental breakfast served in your room by your attendant. No other food was included, although a cafe car was available. I've never done southbound but it seems the northbounds left WAS after 10pm, making food somewhat irrelevant.

AFAICT, the only $340 fare that I can bag for "Room" involves multiple trains, one of which is Acela from BOS to NYP, and the NYP - WAS leg is on a regular LD train (BOS d9:10am WAS a6:46pm). That shows up April 5 and later, some even lower fares like $316. Where did you find a $340 fare on 67? What am I doing wrong to not see the Sleeper fare on 67? This fare search was as of 11am of 3/5/21.

AFAICT, the only $340 fare that I can bag for "Room" involves multiple trains, one of which is Acela from BOS to NYP, and the NYP - WAS leg is on a regular LD train (BOS d9:10am WAS a6:46pm). That shows up April 5 and later, some even lower fares like $316. Where did you find a $340 fare on 67? What am I doing wrong to not see the Sleeper fare on 67? This fare search was as of 11am of 3/5/21.
I wonder if they're just looking at the last listed train(s), which should be 67, but one or two 9:10 AM trains are listed after 67 - with the sleeper prices. I'm guessing those show last because they're multi trains (which I would consider to be a glitch as the trains should be posted by time....).

From my recollection of previous travels when a sleeper was available, you received a bottle of water in the evening and a continental breakfast served in your room by your attendant. No other food was included, although a cafe car was available. I've never done southbound but it seems the northbounds left WAS after 10pm, making food somewhat irrelevant.

Here's the Amenities offered on #66 between Washington and Boston way back in April '89. This was a trip I took to see the newly restored Washington Union Station. Departing Washington around 10 that evening there was a small bottle of wine along with cheese & crackers....and then the next morning around Providence a continental breakfast with coffee and juice was delivered. I remember an enjoyable trip rolling up the corridor sipping on the wine! (It was a Sunday morning arriving back in Boston. I had parked downtown with no traffic getting out of the city at 8am...I was home in Nova Scotia in about 10 hrs.)

2021-03-05_115701.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the Amenities offered on #66 between Washington and Boston way back in April '89. This was a trip I took to see the newly restored Washington Union Station. Departing Washington around 10 that the evening there was a small bottle of wine along with cheese & crackers....and then the next morning around Providence a continental breakfast with coffee and juice was delivered. I remember an enjoyable trip rolling up the corridor sipping on the wine! (It was a Sunday morning arriving back in Boston. I had parked downtown with no traffic getting out of the city at 8am...I was home in Nova Scotia in about 10 hrs.)

View attachment 20981
I recall that handout on other LD trains (and still have some), but there was no diner to provide "Complimentary Meals" either time I rode northbound - once all the way to Boston and the other on the Executive Sleeper attached to NYP. One could imply from reading that you could have gone for a full breakfast had there been a diner. No wine for sure, so it must have been later than your trip.

I recall that handout on other LD trains (and still have some), but there was no diner to provide "Complimentary Meals" either time I rode northbound...................

No.....it was a 'Complementary Continental Breakfast' delivered to my room. Sure there are some that want a full breakfast but I found the Continental to be just fine for an 8am arrival into Boston.

Departing Washington around 10 that the evening there was a small bottle of wine along with cheese & crackers.
There was a period when this was standard offering at departure on all Sleeper service across the system back in those days, irrespective of what time the train departed. I used to get that regularly on the departure of the Lake Shore and the Broadway Limited out of New York.

Interestingly, while I live in Florida now, I had never traveled to Florida before the late '90s and that too never by train until a little later. So I don't know what was happening on the Silvers or the Crescent (which I had traveled only by Coach), but I presume it was the same.

Last edited:
No.....it was a 'Complementary Continental Breakfast' delivered to my room. Sure there are some that want a full breakfast but I found the Continental to be just fine for an 8am arrival into Boston.
I don't remember the arrival in Boston as well, but think it was a croissant and muffin with orange juice and tea/coffee after a few hours sleep on a side track in Penn Station. I thought perhaps the southbound out of BOS was early enough to get some real food and it was included for you.

There was a period when this was standard offering at departure on all Sleeper service across the system back in those days, irrespective of what time the train departed. I used to get that regularly on the departure of the Lake Shore and the Broadway Limited out of New York.

Interestingly, while I live in Florida now, I had never traveled to Florida before the late '90s and that too never by train until a little later. So I don't know what was happening on the Silvers or the Crescent (which I had traveled only by Coach), but I presume it was the same.
Sadly missed. Inglenook wine IIRC.

I don't remember the arrival in Boston as well, but think it was a croissant and muffin with orange juice and tea/coffee............

Yup......I think that's what I got and there might have been a fruit-cup too. Just fine for me in the morning arriving and off the train by 8am. If I wanted something else.....there were plenty of restaurants around for a sit-down meal.

I rode overnight several times in the NEC. Here's my ticket stub on #67 from Boston to Washington back in May 1997. Fare with a Roomette (old style) was $156.50......about $255. today.

Always enjoyed that ride. I'd get aboard in Boston early and set my alarm so I would be awake for the views of Manhattan from the run up over Hell Gate Bridge then on down into Penn Station. I might get a bit more sleep...then see the sun rise over the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay.

View attachment 20976View attachment 20977

I am all for the advances of digital ticketing as it is easier for the most part, but I miss saving my old ticket stubs from past trips. I am now relegated to keeping the e-tickets in a folder on my computer so I can keep track.

Actually, for a time, there was full meal service included. This was during the period when the train was upgraded and rebranded as the Twilight Shoreliner.

It was the same. Also for a time they were giving away complimentary champagne glass engraved Silver Meteor, Silver Star, and Silver Palm

I hate to be the guy with the bucket of cold water (as opposed to victory Gatorade) but I checked several random days in April through July, between WAS and BOS in both directions, and the two ticket options offered for 66 & 67 were coach and business. If this is true, it hasn't made its way into the booking system yet.

Back