When is Sleeping Car returning to WAS-BOS overnight train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the “rumor” in writing on a FB post. Supposedly a reply to someone that stated 65/66/67 would have the sleepers between WAS and BOS starting April 5th.
Plus our own Rebel Rider posted to keep our eyes open. RR is a trustworthy poster. ;)

Check out the other thread on this topic. The price is posted.
I actually checked with Amtrak. Their response was that there is such a rumor. There will be an official announcement when it becomes official.

It is currently not in the reservation system. It will appear there if and when it becomes official.

The $340 fare on and after April 5 in the reservation system is for a two train connection with BOS - NYP on an Acela BC at 9:10am and then a regular LD train Roomette NYP to WAS. I checked.

Having said all that I have good reasons to believe that it will come to pass and will likely be announced on Monday. But it has not officially yet.

Last edited:
Sadly, when I moved from Queens to Florida last year, I had to dispose of most of my 'collection'.😞
I am sure I have lost some treasures in each of my moves. But there are now two designated boxes that always move with me. They contain treasures like the specially embossed tumblers that Indian Railways (Eastern Railway) gave to each passenger of the First year of operation of the Rajdhani Express from Kolkata to New Delhi and back back in 1969-70, and even older card tickets that got embossed with the date on which they were issued, and such other otherwise useless nicknacks.

For those hoping for lower fares in sleepers - Amtrak’s supply of sleepers (in normal times) is far lower than demand - driving prices up.

So for now the best we can hope for is a flexible travel schedule, and the occasional bargain.

I do feel there is going to be a travel boom hot on the heels of the Covid crisis - so I would be aggressive in getting my travel arrangements made for the third quarter.

I know a lot of you are waiting for better dining options to be announced before making any reservations – but that might be an expensive strategy.

Well Amtrak confirmed such on their Facebook page:

EvvxeYmWgAYSMM-

(it's buried in a comment thread on this post)

That is good news. But why not keep them on 66/67 to Newport News? No additional sleepers required and Hampton Roads area, as well as tourists and students in Williamsburg, would generate additional revenue and eliminate switching at Washington.
No services to turn a sleeper?

That is good news. But why not keep them on 66/67 to Newport News? No additional sleepers required and Hampton Roads area, as well as tourists and students in Williamsburg, would generate additional revenue and eliminate switching at Washington.
Wouldn't they need to add a diner then? Being a "night owl" between BOS and WAS eliminates the need for providing meals.

Wouldn't they need to add a diner then? Being a "night owl" between BOS and WAS eliminates the need for providing meals.

No. There’s no inherent, natural law that says a train with a sleeper needs a diner. The Silver Star (pre-COVID) didn’t have a diner. The Three Rivers (from the mid 1990s to 2005) didn’t have a diner. The train already has a cafe car.

The Kentucky Cardinal didn’t have a diner. In fact, that train had no food service car at all.

Will they be dropping a sleeper in NYC?

Almost certainly not.

Back