When is Sleeping Car returning to WAS-BOS overnight train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to crew this out of Washington which does have a sleeper base for the Capitol Limited.

The worst part of this will be the arrival into DC and NYC where the attendant will probably wake everyone up at four AM to refreshen the room so that they themselves can get off on time. If there was ever a pet peeve of mine that is it. Every time I'm on the train into Chicago they kick you out of the room for five to ten minutes once you get past South Bend. Personally I think we should just have the coach cleaners handle that work. It would be better from a customer comfort standpoint.

When I took the Night Owl in ‘01 and ‘02, I don’t recall them waking anyone up for NYP. I think there probably are not many people using that stop. They did not make an announcement, and I dont remember hearing the intercom until DC. Obviously, things could be different now.

That said, making people get up early on an overnight, 9 hour train, is silly, and doesn't make any sense, so I doubt they would do something like that.

There also aren't any trains that run with Transdorms that don't have a regular sleeper with an ADA room in it next door.
I think he was mentioning the ADA room in transdorm because the FRA ADA regulation insists that each car with passenger accommodation must have an ADA accommodation. Not in the next car, but in the same car, silly as it may seem to many.

What they could do is just run a section from Roanoke-Washington and combine it into the Night Owl at DC. Then it could service both destinations. Of course it would add more work on the DC switching crews which I'm sure they would absolutely love.

Didn't they do this with the Hilltopper years ago?

It wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to crew this out of Washington which does have a sleeper base for the Capitol Limited.

The worst part of this will be the arrival into DC and NYC where the attendant will probably wake everyone up at four AM to refreshen the room so that they themselves can get off on time. If there was ever a pet peeve of mine that is it. Every time I'm on the train into Chicago they kick you out of the room for five to ten minutes once you get past South Bend. Personally I think we should just have the coach cleaners handle that work. It would be better from a customer comfort standpoint.
Actually, with a train like the Capitol, where they know you aren't going to need the bedding after you wake up, why don't they just collect the bedding while they're making up the room while you're showering or having breakfast? Then, no need to bother you while you're sitting in the room. Your suggestion about having the coach cleaners handle that is a good one. Or they could just pay the SCAs to stay on board for the time needed after arrival and handle it after the passengers depart.

Same thing for the cafe attendants. Just pay them to arrive early to set up and start serving as soon as the train starts loading up and then stay later so they can serve customers all the way into the terminating station. I know they're saving money by cutting their hours, but they're also leaving money on the table by not being able to serve customers.. A cafe attendant on the Northeast regional told me they were cutting hours because of Covid last summer when I came up after the train left Baltimore (45-50 minutes into the trip), and he was still setting up. I hope the Covid Relief money will allow Amtrak to restore those hours to them.

AFAIR most Transdorms have an ADA bedroom downstairs. There are only some that don't. Now whether Amtrak always sells that accommodation is a different matter.
When I was in a transdorm there was a ladies lounge, I don't think I've seen a transdorm with a ADA bedroom ever.

When I was in a transdorm there was a ladies lounge, I don't think I've seen a transdorm with a ADA bedroom ever.
How many distinct Transdorms have you been in? Not all of them have the ADA room.

Also the FRA ADA regulations are clear. Amtrak breaking the law or ignoring regulations is not exactly unheard of either.

How many distinct Transdorms have you been in? Not all of them have the ADA room.

Also the FRA ADA regulations are clear. Amtrak breaking the law or ignoring regulations is not exactly unheard of either.
To be fair, not many. I just thought all of them had a ladies lounge. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t remember seeing one with a ADA room and I’ve been in a decent number. That being said, it’s not something I was looking for or concerned about.

There are superliner coaches that don’t have lower level seating available, are those against the ADA rules as well? (Baggage coach).

I don’t remember seeing one with a ADA room and I’ve been in a decent number. That being said, it’s not something I was looking for or concerned about.

There are superliner coaches that don’t have lower level seating available, are those against the ADA rules as well? (Baggage coach).
Upon further query, it appears that the Superliners are grandfathered relative to the ADA regulation mentioned by me since the regulations came after the cars, and they have not been substantially rebuilt since then.

Dare I ask why ladies need their own lounge? I could see how that would be helpful to nursing mothers in coach, but in a sleeping cat?
It is a dated concept that was still around when these were built. Presumably to provide space for doing makeup, fixing hair, etc.

I think about 1/3 of them were built with the ADA room. But the way these cars are switched in and out of service, there is no way it could be reliably sold to the public.

Dare I ask why ladies need their own lounge? I could see how that would be helpful to nursing mothers in coach, but in a sleeping cat?

The old heritage cars had men’s and ladies lounges in coaches. Growing up I still remember how the men’s lounge was filled with smoke - those were the days right? ;) haha.

The old heritage cars had men’s and ladies lounges in coaches. Growing up I still remember how the men’s lounge was filled with smoke - those were the days right? ;) haha.
Yes. Those Long Distance Coaches were quite a different breed from the current ones. They had many fewer seats AFAIR, and lounges at both ends. I remember riding those on the Southern Crescent and later on the Amtrak Crescent, before they went bye bye.

Oh, and those wonderful Sleepy Hollow seats!

Last edited:
Actually, with a train like the Capitol, where they know you aren't going to need the bedding after you wake up, why don't they just collect the bedding while they're making up the room while you're showering or having breakfast? Then, no need to bother you while you're sitting in the room. Your suggestion about having the coach cleaners handle that is a good one. Or they could just pay the SCAs to stay on board for the time needed after arrival and handle it after the passengers depart.
They do more than just strip the beds. They have to make them up with clean linen for the return trip.

There are also logistical issues with having the OBS crew remain onboard for any length of time after arrival at a terminal. Generally the HEP is cut and removed to be serviced or used elsewhere (so no power / lights / A/C or heat while finishing their work), then a yard engine comes by shortly after to haul the (dark) consist to the yards for servicing or washing, etc. and to clear the platform for another train to use. So remaining crew could be stuck on board for a long time before getting to a place where they can detrain.

Not saying it can't be done, but there are (as usual) considerations and trade-offs that would have to be made that might not be obvious to passengers. And of course the biggie with having an employee based at the terminal strip and remake the beds is $. Why pay a whole other set of employees to do that work when right now the SCAs do it at no additional cost to Amtrak?

Back