When is Sleeping Car returning to WAS-BOS overnight train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting to learn of others experiences regarding their ticket being scanned or not. It's appreciated information for me. I would still, however, prefer, seeing my ticket being scanned by the Conductor.

It's interesting to learn of others experiences regarding their ticket being scanned or not. It's appreciated information for me. I would still, however, prefer, seeing my ticket being scanned by the Conductor.
Me too. Although, I wouldn't mind if the SCA"s could scan it

I had two coach tickets for a single train. I had to make change to get off at a later stop but the price had gone up so much, it was cheaper to buy a second ticket from the original stop to the new one. The first conductor scanned the first ticket and when he asked where I was getting off, I told him the second city and that's what he put on the card above the seat. The second conductor on the route who got on later scanned the same one as it was still good. I forgot to tell them I had another ticket also. Amtrak got their money - I never canceled it but I didn't get the points. Forgot about that when they scanned it.

I was there. The attendant wasn't. The manifest said the room was unoccupied. He wanted to clear things up right away. All guesswork, of course.

I probably just imagined the scene being a bit more confrontational than it actually was.

I do wish that Amtrak could set it up so the app updates you when your ticket has been collected.

Me too. Although, I wouldn't mind if the SCA"s could scan it
I would doubt that would happen. Unlike VIA Rail, there is a very clear division of craft responsibilities, between the operating train crew, and the on board services employees, as per their union contracts. An attendant may inform the conductor of a passenger's presence according to the manifest, but the actual lift or scan of the ticket would be by the conductor, or assistant....

I've seen FOIA obtained documents from them, so likely yes. If you want to know what tickets were sold now, and are willing to wait long enough for it not to be meaningful, go right ahead. If they don't have a document or record that answers what you wish to know, FOIA doesn't mean they have to make one up special, it just guarantees access to that which they have. Regular revenue reports will show the numbers in due time, since the NEC ridership previously had no sleeper revenue, it should be easy to glean, I'm not sure how they apportion the odd room sold NYP-WAS on LD

Does the Freedom of Information Act apply to Amtrak by any chance?

It does - I've obtained some older versions of the service standards manual that way a few years ago. Haven't done so recently. Processing time is usually months, though, so patience is definitely a virtue working with Amtrak's FOIA department.

It does - I've obtained some older versions of the service standards manual that way a few years ago. Haven't done so recently. Processing time is usually months, though, so patience is definitely a virtue working with Amtrak's FOIA department.
Newer ones are now available pretty easily. Very often organizations or agencies don't make things available on public sites, because it isn't worth the time or effort to make a tiny audience happy. Or the culture of the agency supports secrecy for no intelligent reason. I have a cousin who needed some information from an old FBI investigation (80 years prior) for a book he was writing. They were being their normal obstructionist self righteous idiots. So my cousin sued them in Federal Court and won. Not wanting to be beaten, the FBI appealed to the DC Circuit, and fought to preserve their ability to shield documents from public view, and ultimately prevailed. Since the majority of the material was later discovered to be public record available through the National Archives, it only serves to remind us how some of our tax dollars are spent. An interesting read about a murder of an anthropologist that took place on a reservation in 1931, not a national security interest kind of story.

My GF has taken this train now twice from PVD to WAS (and back). The sleepers have been sold out on the days she has travelled and were sold out on the other three days she was considering for travel.

Back