When is Sleeping Car returning to WAS-BOS overnight train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great to hear. May need to add another sleeper Amtrak!
In Simply Railways video, there looks to be quite a crowd using the Sleeper.
I think its one of the most practical and useful places to deploy such a car in the whole country. It really is a useful service. Can't believe it took this long to bring it back!

Probably every available sleeper will be on other LD trains. Selling this train out using 2 sleepers one in each direction just shows the need for more sleepers. But who do you get to build them ?
Perhaps they could refurbish some of the Heritage sleepers they have in storage, and install retention tanks, and use them just for this train?
I am not sure of how many there are still around.
The single roomettes would be popular on this route. If it would expedite the refurb, they could just add a public toilet, and remove/disable the ones in the rooms...

Perhaps they could refurbish some of the Heritage sleepers they have in storage, and install retention tanks, and use them just for this train?
The single roomettes would be popular on this route. If it would expedite the refurb, they could just add a public toilet, and remove/disable the ones in the rooms...

That has less than a zero percent chance of happening.

Hahhahahahahahahahahhahahaa. Good joke 😂

While unlikely, weren't some of the Heritage sleepers refitted with retention toilets before retirement? IIRC a handful of the Pacific series were put back into service for a short-lived sleeper train due to a shortage of Viewliners. A couple still show up on the occasional Amtrak business train. The argument against is the same as that for any new service, having to do with putting the "best foot forward" and not using old equipment for new impressions.

While unlikely, weren't some of the Heritage sleepers refitted with retention toilets before retirement? IIRC a handful of the Pacific series were put back into service for a short-lived sleeper train due to a shortage of Viewliners.
I've never heard anything of the sort, but I am much less informed than many people on here. It wouldn't surprise me.

I've never heard anything of the sort, but I am much less informed than many people on here. It wouldn't surprise me.
I believe the names Pacific Cape, Pacific Patrol, Pacific Command and Pacific Bend might be the ones I'm thinking of. There is someone here who will know the definitive answer. Pacific Bend made a recent appearance in the Siemens test train in Michigan.

While unlikely, weren't some of the Heritage sleepers refitted with retention toilets before retirement? IIRC a handful of the Pacific series were put back into service for a short-lived sleeper train due to a shortage of Viewliners. A couple still show up on the occasional Amtrak business train. The argument against is the same as that for any new service, having to do with putting the "best foot forward" and not using old equipment for new impressions.

I believe one or two of the former Southern Pacific ones also ended up being done. I want to say the car I'm currently in the process of acquiring for my latest project is one of those. Fun fact it was on the last Broadway Limited. It's 90 percent original on the inside unlike my Pacific.

I believe the names Pacific Cape, Pacific Patrol, Pacific Command and Pacific Bend might be the ones I'm thinking of. There is someone here who will know the definitive answer. Pacific Bend made a recent appearance in the Siemens test train in Michigan.

I will do some research for you on this. Pacific Bend most definitely has it done it should be inside the car body next to the bathrooms in a closet on the right hand side of the car if you enter from the vestibule. It's got the superliner system because that is what Amtrak had in stock when they did the retrofit at Beech Grove. Those Pacific cars were the creme of the crop because UP and Amtrak both really babyed the cars and took care of them all the way from 1949 to the 1990s. But those that got the dorm/lounge treatment really got the crap beaten out of them from all of the retrofits. Fun fact they are also the first girder cars Budd built whereas the other dorm/lounges were truss cars. In the truss cars the roof was more load bearing and if you wrecked and the roof was damaged the car was total. Whereas a girder car the roof wasn't load bearing so if it got messed up it could just get fixed. Fun facts you learn when you own a Pacific car.

According to this website

On Track On Line - Amtrak Passenger Equipment Roster - Rolling Stock

there are no Heritage sleeping cars available to convert. Railiner: were you being facetious, by any chance?
On that roster, I see only the "Pacific Bend" as remaining. I thought that perhaps they had 3 or 4 of those in storage. Despite the negativity to my suggestion, I would gladly ride in a restored 10-6 roomette, if it was refurbed with new mattresses, bedding, and seating.
So, no, I was not being facetious.

On that roster, I see only the "Pacific Bend" as remaining. I thought that perhaps they had 3 or 4 of those in storage. Despite the negativity to my suggestion, I would gladly ride in a restored 10-6 roomette, if it was refurbed with new mattresses, bedding, and seating.
So, no, I was not being facetious.

Oh we are talking about what is remaining.

Pacific Bend is still around it usually stays with the office cars and wears a 10XXX Number which is the same range of the special service cars.

Pacific Terrace is still around without it's name it's 10405. I believe it is stored now as a parts donor for the Pacific Bend. Right now the car has good bones, but the interior has been trashed just like all of the crew dorms with the exception of the Bend.

Of the other heritage cars hanging around.

Diners
-8530: EX Pennsylvania Railroad Parlor Car "Molly Pitcher" now used as an axle count car, but stored dead at BEE
-8505: EX Northern Pacific No. 462 now used as an axle count car, but stored dead at BEE

Coaches
-7005: EX Pennsylvania Railroad Congressional Coach (Fairly Certain that is the number) used as part of a wire train based in New Jersey

Baggage
-1758: Stored Dead BEE
-1702: Stored Dead BEE
-1757: Stored Dead BEE
-1716: Stored Dead BEE

There are two or three others in New Jersey with the 7005 as well but I don't have the numbers. There might be another hiding around the system somewhere as well that I just don't know about.

All of the other cars were sold off to various private owners. Would people want to see where things got sent. I believe my list is fairly accurate.

Can we talk about the ridiculousness of the pricing for double occupancy? A roomette for one is priced at $289 right now but if you book it for two the price jumps $151 to $440 when a coach ticket is only $34. What gives, it's not like that breakfast box is setting them back much...

(also this is my first post here, hello world!)

Can we talk about the ridiculousness of the pricing for double occupancy? A roomette for one is priced at $289 right now but if you book it for two the price jumps $151 to $440 when a coach ticket is only $34. What gives, it's not like that breakfast box is setting them back much...

(also this is my first post here, hello world!)

Agreed. I thought the way it used to work was that each incremental passenger only paid the lowest bucket rail fare, but I guess something must have changed.

If I were to try it, I would board together with the coach person at the origin station into the sleeper, and tell the Conductor/attendant that you are traveling together and just see where it goes....the worst they can say is no.....

Back