Sleeping in Coach/Business

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coalman

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I'm planning a 24 hr. trip in May from PDX to Santa Baraba. I will take sleeper down but was thinking of seeing what sleeping in coach was like on way back? Should I take a blanket and pillow? Is it worth 50$ extra to try Business?
Any chance that I could buy a meal in dining car?
Thank you ahead of time.

I'm curious, does anyone know what the diner prices are? They don't seem to be published since (correct me if I'm wrong) the CS is the only line where non sleeper passengers can access traditional dining.
Flat fees
20 for breakfast
25 for lunch (kids lunch is 15)
45 for dinner (kids dinner is 25)

Dinner has the best value if you get all three courses and go for the steak + one free alcoholic beverage.

Only business class and sleepers have access to the diner, business must pay.

I'm planning a 24 hr. trip in May from PDX to Santa Baraba. I will take sleeper down but was thinking of seeing what sleeping in coach was like on way back? Should I take a blanket and pillow? Is it worth 50$ extra to try Business?
Any chance that I could buy a meal in dining car?
Thank you ahead of time.
My last overnight coach ride was about 12 years ago on the Silver Star. I don't think things have changed too much, except you can't use the dining car. You might want to bring some food, even if you're going to play Cafe Car Roulette and eat from the Cafe Car.
Yes, you will need a blanket and something to use as a pillow. I would also recommend eyeshades and maybe earplugs, too, although the coach is usually pretty quiet after lights out. The main advantage you get from springing for business class is access to the diner and a better chance of having two seats to yourself. The actual seat configuration is pretty much the same as coach, though it may be more likely than coach to be a refurbished car. Others who have ridden business class on the Starlight might have more to add.

My last overnight coach ride was about 12 years ago on the Silver Star. I don't think things have changed too much, except you can't use the dining car. You might want to bring some food, even if you're going to play Cafe Car Roulette and eat from the Cafe Car.
Yes, you will need a blanket and something to use as a pillow. I would also recommend eyeshades and maybe earplugs, too, although the coach is usually pretty quiet after lights out. The main advantage you get from springing for business class is access to the diner and a better chance of having two seats to yourself. The actual seat configuration is pretty much the same as coach, though it may be more likely than coach to be a refurbished car. Others who have ridden business class on the Starlight might have more to add.
My experiences have been that it is assigned a refurbished car. A regular coach was used once out of half a dozen times.

The restrooms are kept cleaner.

And a note about eyeshades: they don't take up much space, but instead I wear a hat with a brim and adjust it to cut direct lighting. It also keeps my bald spot warm!

I usually wake up on the Cantara Loop, flash a memory of the Shasta Daylight on the curves, and then go back to sleep.

Back