Sleeping in coach vs room for single overnight trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the next LD trip I anticipate taking will be to Orlando next year or a location TBD the following year. Booking a roomette sounds better all the time. :)

That doesn't mean I would NEVER again travel in coach on a LD train; just that I at least want to experience sleeping accommodations. :)

I have spent an overnight in a coach. But, I prefer a sleeper. On my recent EB trip, I was surprised that I slept both nights as well as I did. Never awoke with the operations that take place at Spokane and I have done so in the past.

I like the Superliner Roomettes. Cozy with just enough storage space for a 2 day trip.

The Viewliner Roomettes are OK as well. But, as another poster mentioned, having the commode near where I'm sleeping is not a great situation. And, having to use the facility when the bed is in position: well, that is another issue!

Having once spent a night in coach and another night in a roomette, we will accept nothing less than a bedroom for overnight trips. In fact, our departure and return dates are determined by the availably of bedrooms on the overnight trains we will be riding on. (It is only after these bedroom reservations are confirmed that we make our hotel and rental car reservations.) To be sure of getting bedrooms for the dates we want, we usually purchase our tickets at least four months prior to when we plan to leave.

Last summer, after traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago onboard the Southwest Chief, we were both asked by Amtrak to complete surveys about our travel experiences. One of the questions asked was if we would still travel by train if bedrooms weren’t available. We both answered NO. ‘nuff said.

I have spent an overnight in a coach. But, I prefer a sleeper. On my recent EB trip, I was surprised that I slept both nights as well as I did. Never awoke with the operations that take place at Spokane and I have done so in the past.
I always sleep better the second night, probably because I barely sleep during the first night. (I'm a night owl, so I have issues adjusting to "train hours".)

When I traveled from Chicago to Seattle a couple years ago, I woke up briefly during the operations at Spokane. My body must have registered Something Was Different. I noticed we weren't moving, checked to see where we were, and realized it was the long stop at Spokane. I tried to see what was happening, but I fell back asleep almost immediately and slept soundly until about 6:30 a.m. :)

When I first began riding the Amtrak long distance trains, around 2004, I always got a double seat to myself to sleep in coach due to lack of passengers on all routes.

I did use the old "unlimited segment" 15 day railpasses for a couple of marathon Amtrak coach tours, each around 12,500 miles in coach over the 15 days.

I do like the folk one meets in coach, but the ability to lie flat is the main attraction of a roomette. Sadly, retired, the only place I can afford to lie flat on Amtrak now is the lounge floor, but it keeps me traveling. :D

Ed.

Back