Sleeping in coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first trip coming up in June, 2 overnights. I've watched videos on YouTube, as far as I can tell the seats recline. I sleep in a recliner so I should be fine. Hoping the motion of the train will lull me to sleep. I'm bringing a sound machine that I use just in case.

The answer to that is all over the map depending on the individual, and which type of car they are in. Other factors in the mix - such as seatmate (if any) crowd/noise level, and hvac influence as well. The first criteria to consider might be "can I sleep comfortably in a recliner chair."

Yes, the seats recline enough to sleep. Personally, I have never had any difficulty sleeping in coach. My guess would be that many others also have no problems sleeping in coach because when you walk through a coach car in the middle of the night most people are asleep.

When I was a lot younger I slept pretty comfortably in coach but lately not at all.

During that time it has also gotten louder overnight in coach with people playing radios and talking on their phones all night.

Best thing to do is to book a one night trip somewhere and see how you make out. Good luck!

Are the coach chairs comfortable to sleep in?
Amtrak coach is fine for day trips and if you're young you can probably find a way to sleep, but I'd only call it "comfortable" compared to sleeping on a bus. Excessive noise and light can also play a role so bring a sleep mask and ear plugs. Unlike a flight there are no air nozzles to cool you down or armrests to separate strangers from their neighbors.

Last edited:
I agree that coach can be noisier as usually have one car steward for 2 or 3 coaches so one would have to find a conductor usually in the diner at night to complain about noise. After 10PM is to be quite time and lights are dimmed to blue night lights. Also on the superliners coach passengers can not use the diner, the diner is for sleeper car passengers only. So coach passengers have only the cafe in the lounge car for food and drink. Remember meals are included in sleeper price. Although on the California Zephyr roomette and bedroom prices are thru the roof. Example Chicago to Sacramento in roomette is $1,225 with a bedroom priced at $2,671 for May 2nd. Remember this is for 2 nights! A lot of days are sold out sleepers, some days show whole train sold out. One note is it unknown how many sleepers they are selling. Usually this train has 3 sleepers and the dorm car that has about 8 roomettes, but with many cars waiting in Beech Grove for maintenance they could be selling just one sleeper or 2 but probably not 3 sleepers. May 5th now shows whole train is sold out! When I rode the California Zephyr in summer of 2021 the train had 3 coaches with last one locked and maybe 12 people per car in 2 coaches. Sleepers were full with some who normally would use coach buying roomettes.

I had a earplugs, eyeshade, blanket, neck pillow, and most importantly three small memory foam travel pillows; one for lumbar support and two for the corner against the wall or the armrest when I had the luxury of two seats to myself (one out of four trains). They all compacted into stuff sacks and took up half of one of two suitcases. I practiced at home ahead of time with with above stuff in a chair that reclined 40 degrees. That really helped me to be realistic about how much sleep I would get in coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back