Slidell, LA to Birmingham, AL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of discussion on the web about poor on-time percentage for Amtrak. Best is NYC <> DC (90%). Worst is Michigan (40%). See: "Amtrak blames freight trains for passenger delays getting worse"

Across the country, Amtrak trains last year were on-time only 60% to 70% of the time in many states, although on-time performance rose to more than 90% in the nation’s northeast corridor, from Washington, D.C., to New York City.

In Michigan, the on-time rate was only 43%. And on the troubled route from Chicago to Detroit to Pontiac — the state’s busiest Amtrak route — on-time performance was a pitiful 33%. Put another way, that means that 67% of the trains on that route were at least 30 minutes late, and many arrived much later.

Currently looking at a Slidell, LA <> Birmingham, AL trip ($67 R/T). This appears to be a great value. Fuel savings alone would be approx $160 and the published travel time is only about 1 hour longer than driving. My daughter in Bham has volunteered to pick me up but local stories of 4-5 hour delays (lingering on switching tracks waiting for freight trains) have me worried. And yes - I'm thinking "Uber" once I get there.

Hoping someone could point me to a resource for getting the on-time % for this specific run (Slidell, LA <> Birmingham, LA). Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
See here:
https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/a...t=d_ar&sort_dir=DESC&co=gt&limit_mins=&dfon=1
For the return trip, change Train num. to 19 & Station code to SDL, and select Departure Delays instead of Arrival Delays (apparently arrival is not tracked at SDL). OTP is much worse in that direction. Most delays occur before BHM, so the train departs later. Median travel time SDL-BHM over the past 30 days is 7:30; on 2 occasions the trip exceeded 10 hours.

Plan ahead; the train is sold out on some days.

Last edited:
Slightly OT, but Slidell is one of those stations I look out the railcar window at and want to get off and explore. Google maps is my substitute for in person touring.
Papa's BBQ (Brisket and Rib Combo for $16!), Southside Cafe (Southern Fried Steak Dinner for $17), Keith's Seafood (Combo Seafood Platter for $13!), S&H Good Eats (cup of seafood gumbo for $3 and Heidi's Enchiladas for $8!).
I am sure there are a lot more great places to eat, too.
And then there is the water! I am not a boater but that water looks like a great place to visit! Honey Island Swamp Tour, maybe?
Sorry for rambling off subject.
I have to look for the threads on favorite small town stops and the attractions they have to offer. Slidell is right up there on my list of ones I want to visit.

Back