Smoking Stops Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
Hey guys, I'm not much of a smoker but I do have one every so often. I was wondering-- on previous trips I have either not smoked or smoked traditional pack cigarettes. However my preference has been RYO cigarettes.

For those who don't know, those are ones where you take a piece of cigarette paper and fill it with tobacco to taste. They're standard tobacco, but without a filter or a perfect shape they have a habit of looking like marijuana cigarettes. Rarely I have been stopped by a security guard to ask if I'm smoking marijuana. I explain if it were marijuana they would smell it, and then I show them the pouch with my tobacco and things are all cool.

Conductors, as I have experienced, aren't trained to tell the difference between marijuana and tobacco. Does anybody think I'll have any issue where OBS or a Conductor might question my product?

I think that Whooz mentioned in one of his posts that he rolls his own, and he has his own dedicated agent to keep tabs on him.

If he can get away with it, you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you'll have a problem. I have a few friends who enjoy smoking something other than tobacco at longer smoking stops :eek: , and even they've never had a problem. Not that I recommend doing that!

Honestly, I would think the Conductor would be pretty busy at any such stops to notice. As long as you aren't doing something that would grab his attention enough to warrant him stopping his work, and checking on you, you'll be fine.

I get off at the smoke stops and I've never paid that close attention to what others are doing. I do pay close attention to what the train is doing, i.e. stopped or moving. I'd expect you'd have less of a problem if you rolled the smoke onboard versus in front of the smokers.

The conductor is too busy with passengers to notice.

I just remember a couple times a conductor finding somebody who was smoking things other than tobacco and I didn't know what turned them on to the fact, whether it was the smell or the shape-- I have had people bug me about it on campus, never a police officer, but always somebody who was never trained to identify the substance.

And yes I would roll them on the train, from the time it takes to pack and for the thing to set is a few minutes. Half the time I'd bet we get the board call by the time I was ready to light hah.

I just remember a couple times a conductor finding somebody who was smoking things other than tobacco and I didn't know what turned them on to the fact, whether it was the smell or the shape-- I have had people bug me about it on campus, never a police officer, but always somebody who was never trained to identify the substance.
And yes I would roll them on the train, from the time it takes to pack and for the thing to set is a few minutes. Half the time I'd bet we get the board call by the time I was ready to light hah.

I suspect these days there are a lot of people who know what marijuana smoke smells like and they also know that some people actually roll their own tobacco cigarettes.

What is the worst that could happen? Somebody comes over and "investigates" and goes away looking and feeling rather foolish; someone comes over and "investigates" and finds out that no, you do not have any weed to share.

I wouldn't worry in the least about it.

Conductors, as I have experienced, aren't trained to tell the difference between marijuana and tobacco. Does anybody think I'll have any issue where OBS or a Conductor might question my product?
I can't imagine you would have any problem at all with this -- RYO cigarettes are not that uncommon. Unless my circle of acquaintances is uncommon!

I assume you have a Rizla Automatic Rolling Box to expedite the process and make life much simpler on the train as you approach the smoke stop; if not, I recommend it!

I actually know there's at least one Conductor out there that rolls his own, and I'm sure there are many more. I think anyone that's ever gone to college or any night club knows the distinct difference in smell between pot and tobacco. It might not be a bad idea to bring the tin of tobacco with you just in case someone gives you flack, but what you're going is perfectly legal, just not in the norm for most.

I actually know there's at least one Conductor out there that rolls his own, and I'm sure there are many more. I think anyone that's ever gone to college or any night club knows the distinct difference in smell between pot and tobacco. It might not be a bad idea to bring the tin of tobacco with you just in case someone gives you flack, but what you're going is perfectly legal, just not in the norm for most.
You're too old, dude. Anybody whose gone to middle school know what they bloody smell like. My school reeked of it. It was disgusting.

I don't use the stuff, and can't imagine why anyone one would. The one time I tried, I hated it. But you'd have to be a 85 year old Republican to not know what it smells like.

I think that's the first time anyone's ever said I'm too old. My point is made though.

You're too old, dude. Anybody whose gone to middle school know what they bloody smell like. My school reeked of it. It was disgusting.

I don't use the stuff, and can't imagine why anyone one would. The one time I tried, I hated it. But you'd have to be a 85 year old Republican to not know what it smells like.
GML, are you referring to the green stuff or the brown stuff? If you are referring to the green stuff, Barney Frank claims to not know what it looks like... ;)

To be sure both of these items can be pretty stinky.

It's kind of weird, but I remember that cigarettes did not smell as nasty when I was a kid. I know they have added so much extra stuff to them now, that there is much less tobacco in them. We smoke the no additive brand, & actually smoke much less than we used to. They don't smell near as bad.

I think that Whooz mentioned in one of his posts that he rolls his own, and he has his own dedicated agent to keep tabs on him.
Now what's THAT supposed to mean!? :D

Yeah, I roll, and mentions are sprinkled over various threads and trip reports. Never any problems, not even so much as funny looks (at least not for smoking issues). Au contraire (pardon my French), fellow trainside smokers are sometimes intrigued, so I'll explain the whole RYO deal as well as extol its economic virtues (WAYYY cheaper than manufactured cigarettes!).

And I roll aboard trains all the time, out of a Top tobacco canister for the benefit of any nimrods who can't tell the difference between tobacco and dope by sight. Usually roll the day's cigarettes each morning (wherever I am), and they're carried in an empty Altoids tin - uncrushable! Several companies make the little handheld rollers I use, which are under 5 bucks.

Further, I buy tobacco by the pound online at Rollyourown.com. Hint to fellow rollers: Try stuff that's labeled as pipe tobacco. It's not SERIOUS pipe tobacco, but apparently calling it that avoids it being subject to the recent massive tax increase, and it remains incredibly cheap. The quality difference is negligible.

GML, are you referring to the green stuff or the brown stuff? If you are referring to the green stuff, Barney Frank claims to not know what it looks like... ;) To be sure both of these items can be pretty stinky.

It's kind of weird, but I remember that cigarettes did not smell as nasty when I was a kid. I know they have added so much extra stuff to them now, that there is much less tobacco in them. We smoke the no additive brand, & actually smoke much less than we used to. They don't smell near as bad.
The green stuff. xD

When my dad smoked, years ago, I don't remember hating the smell of cigarettes. Since he stopped, though, I've come to be able to not stand them at all. I can tolerate pipes, cigars, and some unusual brands of cigarettes (my former partner in the jewelry trade was a Russian who smoked Russian cigarettes, and I don't recall minding them much, even trapped in the dingy office at the back of his shop with it). But that ended, he moved back to Kazakhstan. And now I'm trying to go into business selling custom office chairs. Yay.

Its all a matter of preference.

My mother gags at the smell of cooking falafel (mainly really hot olive-oil and chickpeas). My dad can't stand the smell of goat cheese. tunafish makes me want to puke- seriously.

Yeah, I roll, and mentions are sprinkled over various threads and trip reports. Never any problems, not even so much as funny looks (at least not for smoking issues). Au contraire (pardon my French), fellow trainside smokers are sometimes intrigued, so I'll explain the whole RYO deal as well as extol its economic virtues (WAYYY cheaper than manufactured cigarettes!).

And I roll aboard trains all the time, out of a Top tobacco canister for the benefit of any nimrods who can't tell the difference between tobacco and dope by sight. Usually roll the day's cigarettes each morning (wherever I am), and they're carried in an empty Altoids tin - uncrushable! Several companies make the little handheld rollers I use, which are under 5 bucks.

Further, I buy tobacco by the pound online at Rollyourown.com. Hint to fellow rollers: Try stuff that's labeled as pipe tobacco. It's not SERIOUS pipe tobacco, but apparently calling it that avoids it being subject to the recent massive tax increase, and it remains incredibly cheap. The quality difference is negligible.
I was a long time pipe smoker until 2 years ago - quit before the 1st Amtrak trip. I'd recommend to the RYO'ers to try the Captain Black (white can), very mild, doesn't burn hot. Not that I recommend smoking! Whatever floats yer boat. ;)

MMMM Altoids!!!

My dad was trying to save $ when I was teenager, & used to use a roller. Sometimes he would assign the task to me to roll his smokes. It looked very similar to the 'humpback' roller on that website. He also had an injector model, which he didn't like as much.

GML, are you referring to the green stuff or the brown stuff? If you are referring to the green stuff, Barney Frank claims to not know what it looks like... ;) To be sure both of these items can be pretty stinky.

The green stuff. xD

When my dad smoked, years ago, I don't remember hating the smell of cigarettes. Since he stopped, though, I've come to be able to not stand them at all. I can tolerate pipes, cigars, and some unusual brands of cigarettes (my former partner in the jewelry trade was a Russian who smoked Russian cigarettes, and I don't recall minding them much, even trapped in the dingy office at the back of his shop with it). But that ended, he moved back to Kazakhstan. And now I'm trying to go into business selling custom office chairs. Yay.

Its all a matter of preference.

My mother gags at the smell of cooking falafel (mainly really hot olive-oil and chickpeas). My dad can't stand the smell of goat cheese. tunafish makes me want to puke- seriously.
There is someone who lives near us that smokes the green stuff outside. We can smell it every time. It's real bad in the summer when it gets pulled into the house by the evaporative cooler. I have to turn the cooler off until they are done.

You know, some pipe tobacco & cigars smell good to me-it's odd really-like the cherry or rum soaked ones.

Being cooped up in a room with no ventilation around cigarette smoke will make me sick. I have to have a window open.

I'm a Bugler man, meaning I'm a perpetually broke college student. At $4.55 per .65 ounce pouch with 40 rolling papers its the best deal without buying bulk. There's a gang of us on campus who smoke that brand and roll every cigarette ourselves. Some others are intrigued-- the benefits are numerous. Besides price by packing your own you can influence burn time, density, heat, ect.

A heavy smoker will go through one pouch a week or two, a light smoker like myself goes through a pack every two months or so.

MMMM Altoids!!!
They're curiously strong!

I know we're not at flyertalk, but this is a smoke stop story of sorts. Changing planes at Detroit once, the layover was easily long enough to exit the terminal - a long way - for a smoke or three. Heading through security on the way back in I neglected to put the Altoids tin in the tray before passing through the metal detector (not unusual - often forget). Set it off of course, and immediately knew the reason. Hauled out the Altoids tin and was asked to open it, which I did to reveal a bunch of cigarettes. TSA guy goes, "Wow, that's a great idea. You got a minute, or in a hurry?" "Plenty of time." "Hang on, okay?" "Sure."

The guy yells to a couple of his buddies working other lanes. "Come and take a look at this!" They stop traffic in their lanes to come over so the guy can show them my Altoids tin filled with RYO smokes. Like the TSA guy at BWI who was a former GG-1 engineer and held up the show to talk with me about the locomotive cuz he noticed my GG-1 t-shirt, these guys brought Detroit to a grinding halt so they could check out my Altoids-tin-as-cigarette-case, which they agreed among themselves was totally cool.

"Where'd you get this idea?" "Some old girlfriend. Years ago. I don't know." "Good idea." "I thought so too. You don't find many smart ones." That throwaway line sent them into hysterics, which caused a female supervisor to appear, demanding to know what the deal was. She thought the Altoids tin thing was a good idea too, handed it to me, sent the guys back to work, I was on my way, and things got moving again.

Guess I gotta get more nondescript somehow.

EDIT: You can't make stuff like this up. The little Motown brouhaha occurred on 1-19-05, on the way to an AOL chat room party at St. Augustine, FL. I was flying to D.C. to board the Silver Meteor to JAX the next day. On 1-20-05, due to a derailment at WAS that severely impacted Amtrak, MARC, and VRE (you can look it up), and turned D.C. Union Station into a Republican zoo, I was very nearly sucked into the bloodthirsty maw of the George W. Bush inauguration "festivities."

MMMM Altoids!!!
They're curiously strong!

I know we're not at flyertalk, but this is a smoke stop story of sorts. Changing planes at Detroit once, the layover was easily long enough to exit the terminal - a long way - for a smoke or three. Heading through security on the way back in I neglected to put the Altoids tin in the tray before passing through the metal detector (not unusual - often forget). Set it off of course, and immediately knew the reason. Hauled out the Altoids tin and was asked to open it, which I did to reveal a bunch of cigarettes. TSA guy goes, "Wow, that's a great idea. You got a minute, or in a hurry?" "Plenty of time." "Hang on, okay?" "Sure."

The guy yells to a couple of his buddies working other lanes. "Come and take a look at this!" They stop traffic in their lanes to come over so the guy can show them my Altoids tin filled with RYO smokes. Like the TSA guy at BWI who was a former GG-1 engineer and held up the show to talk with me about the locomotive cuz he noticed my GG-1 t-shirt, these guys brought Detroit to a grinding halt so they could check out my Altoids-tin-as-cigarette-case, which they agreed among themselves was totally cool.

"Where'd you get this idea?" "Some old girlfriend. Years ago. I don't know." "Good idea." "I thought so too. You don't find many smart ones." That throwaway line sent them into hysterics, which caused a female supervisor to appear, demanding to know what the deal was. She thought the Altoids tin thing was a good idea too, handed it to me, sent the guys back to work, I was on my way, and things got moving again.

Guess I gotta get more nondescript somehow.
A late friend was an Altoid user for years. After his death per his wishes his ashes were shared with all his close friends - packed in Altoids tins!

There have been many clinical studies on the effects of smoking, as we all know. Here's a not-so-clinical blind study (the guy who designed it is vision-impaired) of a song about smoking that has appeared in many versions by many people. Inhale deeply, choose your favorite, and pick your poison:

Thank you once again for your participation, and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back