snacks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackpup

Service Attendant
Just got home from Fleet Farm and got a bunch of snacks for the train. Trail mix, cashews, Jerky, chocolate licorice. Since we get juice, water and coffee, bringing liquids won't be necessary, except for the bottled distilled water for my hubby's sleep machine. One week from tomorrow, we start our journey. Hope the work week goes fast. Very excited.

Not all sleeper car attendants provide juice in the sleeper car, and if they do juice may not be available all day long.

Coffee may also not be available all day long.

Of course a non-alcoholic beverage is included with sleeper pax meals. Pax is rail speak for passenger.

When the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (NRPC/Amtrak) was first formed it was going to be called RailPax.

The name RailPax didn't last long. By May 1, 1971 when the NRPC took over the passenger trains Amtrak was the name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all sleeper car attendants provide juice in the sleeper car, and if they do juice may not be available all day long.

Coffee may also not be available all day long.

Of course a non-alcoholic beverage is included with sleeper pax meals. Pax is rail speak for passenger.

When the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (NRPC/Amtrak) was first formed it was going to be called RailPax.

The name RailPax didn't last long. By May 1, 1971 when the NRPC took over the passenger trains Amtrak was the name.
Oh, I thought it was, with the juice and coffee. Well, hope the water is available at all times.

It used to be available all the time. Now due to cost cutting, it is only supposed to be made in the morning - say from 5:30 am until 10 am. You may find coffee & juice available after that, but don't count on it.

Bottled water is very inconsistent in the sleepers. Sometimes you will get 2 in your room and that's all you will ever get.

Sometimes you will get 2 in your room and have extras in the closet.

Sometimes water will be always available by the coffee and juice.

And sometimes your attendant will say "let me know If you need any more waters."

One time on the zephyr, sleeper passengers were scolded over the PA by the sleeper attendant (Chicago based Andre') for asking for additional waters (among other things like waiting too late to ask for beds turned down).

Some Sleeping Car Attendants (SCA) are "better" than others. Often coffee will be available beyond official hours and I haven't had a problem obtaining bottled water by asking. My APAP stays home!

It's my understanding the sleeper car attendants that provide juice in their car pay for the juice out of their own pocket.

They understand that they're likely to be reimbursed + more in better tips from their passengers.

Amtrak provides the coffee.

It's my understanding the sleeper car attendants that provide juice in their car pay for the juice out of their own pocket.

They understand that they're likely to be reimbursed + more in better tips from their passengers.

Amtrak provides the coffee.
Juice is provided by Amtrak.

Then why is that only some TA-SCs put it out in sleeper cars?
Amtrak couple years ago eliminated the other juices and only kept Orange Juice to save cost. We had a big discussion about that on here. If the juice did not come out of Amtrak's pocket, then why would they have eliminated the others and kept only the OJ. Remember the saying the only thing consistent on Amtrak is inconsistency? On some trains you probably ended up with a lazy SC and on others with one that was doing their job.

As was said, the really crummy OJ is Amtrak provided by contract while the much tastier Apple and Cranberry Juices were dropped during the bean counters run amok nickel and dime cuts that occurred as Joe Boardman rode off into the Sunset.

You can still get them in the Diner and purchase pricey juices in the cafes but bringing your own is a better option!

The juices were only really good as mixers for the liquor that one brought aboard the train. The juices are way to sweet to drink alone. Before, bringing a bottle of Vodka aboard, you were able to make yourself a Vodka and Cranberry and screwdrivers but now only screwdrivers.

We had a trip on the SWC a couple years ago and the SCA not only had coffee, juice and water but she also put out snacks. Breakfast pastries and such. Was a nice surprise.

On the five different Sleepers I recently traveled, Coffee was put up once it was empty after 10 or it was near noon. All had a box of OJ either on a shelf or box with a cover on it. Water was available either on the coffee area or by asking the SCA. Each SCA had a case of water bottles in his room. Now the water varied between the small bottles to the medium size depending on the train. One SCA had snacks they brought on board, so don't know if they bought them or not, but figure they had to come from the commissary to be legal for the Health Department. All SCA were available when needed, two announced a 9 PM cut off for making beds. All were available for room service.

I had the same experience on the SWC a couple of years ago.... bathrooms were immaculate, car smelled fresh, went down very early for a shower and the room was clean, everything in place, and a little box with shampoos and the like. She even put a little flower next to the pastries. And Mr and Mrs Grumpy across the hall complaining that they never see the attendant do anything.... She even looked at my return trip and told me she had the trip, but probably not the car, but if I wanted, drop by and say hello, and grab a few cookies and if I liked her coffee better fill up there. I can't imagine there was anything one could do to make one feel more at home...

I had the same experience on the SWC a couple of years ago.... bathrooms were immaculate, car smelled fresh, went down very early for a shower and the room was clean, everything in place, and a little box with shampoos and the like. She even put a little flower next to the pastries. And Mr and Mrs Grumpy across the hall complaining that they never see the attendant do anything.... She even looked at my return trip and told me she had the trip, but probably not the car, but if I wanted, drop by and say hello, and grab a few cookies and if I liked her coffee better fill up there. I can't imagine there was anything one could do to make one feel more at home...
Were the pastries store bought or the Amtrak muffins and danish they use for Business Class?

by B H, on Flickr

Were the pastries store bought personally by the SCA or the Amtrak muffins and danish they use for Business Class? Amtrak has a stash of pastries they use for the Surfliner breakfast.

by B H, on Flickr

Question?? Can a SCA purchase from the commissary a selection of snack items to be used in the sleeper? Does the Cafe inventory have to match cash received, or can a SCA use a small selection from the Cafe? The snack items I have seen are individually wrapped except for apples. Thought maybe there was a way for the SCA to Offer more if they wanted to use their tip money. In other words spend money to make money. Happier passengers, better comments, bigger tips.

I've had lots of great SCAs that put out fruit,cookies,good juice,tea,candy, magazines etc.and have a supply of videos for their passengers and it comes out of their pocket!

One of my Hall of Fame SCAs on my home train (Texas,Eagle) even keeps a Supply of Diet Cokes in his room since he too doesn't like Pepsi!

I'm still amazed how so many Sleeper passengers don't tip their SCAs and Diner Staff that give "above and beyond"service, but love to complain about picky stuff like they didn't make my bed the instant they ring the call bell!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Honestly the SCA's that go above and beyond are providing the basics of what should be expected.

Yes those of us who ride often and realize that Amtrak provides very little should tip well when an SCA goes above and beyond. I try my best to tip very well when it's warranted.

Well Honestly the SCA's that go above and beyond are providing the basics of what should be expected.
While I don't expect an SCA to provide anything out of his/her own pocket, I do think that Amtrak is being penny wise, pound foolish when it cheaps out on providing five bucks or so worth of amenities to its best and most profitable customers.

Back