Snow by the Bucketful?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KWBud

Train Attendant
For the last couple of years, I have tried to get away and do a train trip in the summer. But it is hurricane season and the logistics of leaving a boat in the tropics at that time of year can pose problems.

However, getting away in the winter might be more doable. And I haven't seen snow in a long, long time.

A 15 day/8 segment pass would allow me to get from Miami to Chicago and back with a loop out west.

What is the best loop to take? Something like California Zephyr=>Coast Starlight=>Empire Builder? Or perhaps the reverse? Or The Crescent=>Sunset Limited=>Coast Starlight=>Empire Builder?

What is the absolute best winter scenery as viewed from the train?

Is there anything I really need to watch out for? I mean, I have lived in the tropics for so long. . . I think that 70F is cold. I don't own a winter coat. I do realize that I'll need some warm clothes for the trip, but will I need real snow boots?

Thanks for any help

--

Bud

If you like snow and cold, then the SL probably isn't a good option because that route rarely sees snow. Id say go for CZ/CS/EB. The EB is better eastbound.

If you like snow and cold, then the SL probably isn't a good option because that route rarely sees snow. Id say go for CZ/CS/EB. The EB is better eastbound.
Thanks for the reply.

Speaking of the EB, according to the Amtrak Status Map, it appears to have a service disruption (both ways) right now. I don't know enough to find out why.

But when I was looking it up, I found this link to an NPR transcript on the topic. The comments at the bottom are quite interesting.

--

Bud

Thanks for this tip...I am looking at doing this same route late March - early April and was wondering which way would be better!

Chicago to Sacramento via Westbound CZ is a good winter option - snow in Illinois & Iowa (westbound after 2 PM departure) plus the Rockies the next day, and then on to Donner Pass in the High Sierra Nevada Range in California on the 3rd day of the trip.

Then hop off in Sacramento (nice town too) and take the Northbound Coast Starlight from Sacramento to Portland (same day connection in Sacramento), and you should see more snow in Oregon on day 4 from Chicago. Then take the Empire Builder from Portland east to Chicago, which will take you through Glacier National Park in the daylight (the westbound version passes through the snowy mountains of Glacier Park after dark in the winter). Day 5 of this trip takes you through Montana which has some wonderful winter scenery - in addition to Glacier National Park.

Day 6 is really nice as you pass through Minnesota with Arctic temps and more snow upon the landscape. Then down along the very scenic Mississippi River towards Wisconsin. Great winter trip with some good daylight scenery options.

We did this loop a few years ago in December - when the days were very short, and the trains were not too crowded. A very nice trip.

I think a lot depends on the weather at the time of your trip.

I have seen lots of snow from the train when on the Zephyr, and also on the Coast starlight, on the northern section.

As to snow boots, you won't need those on the train!

Ed :cool:

Last February I flew to Denver, hopped on the CZ to CS to EB to CL to SM back to Florida. I was looking for snow & Boy did I find it!!!! :) Nice trip!!!

Have Fun

In an hour or two I'll be going out to shovel out the driveway again. We have about 14" in the back yard.

Fly to Denver and take the CZ to Sacramento. Spend a few hours in the California Railroad Museum which is part of Old Town Sacramento. Get on the CS at about midnight. Take the CS to Chemult where you get on the Amtrak shuttle to Bend.

There is a bus service up to Mt. Bachelor if you don't want to rent a car.

Take the shuttle back to Chemult to catch the CS to Portland. You will have a little time to see Portland before getting on the Empire Builder. Depending on how much time you have, you might want to take a 24 hour break getting off in Whitefish MT.

Fly home from MSP or MKE.

But when I was looking it up, I found this link to an NPR transcript on the topic. The comments at the bottom are quite interesting.
Loved the Dagny Taggart comment.
I was surprised at the one sided coverage of Amtrak in this piece. They seemed to dwell on the subsidies that Amtrak gets and compared it other modes of transportation as if neither air travel nor roads were also subsidized.

I guess I gave NPR more credit for at least attempting to give all sides of the story.

--

Bud

Who do these people who live in Florida think plows the snow off the roads? Who buys the trucks and pays the drivers salary? Who built the Interstate Highway system?

Does Amtrak pay the Class 1 Railroads a fee for using their tracks? Of course they do.

One of the best daytime views I can imagine is seeing a Bald Eagle in flight on the south side of Odell Lake just east of the Cascade Summit. Today the CS is running about 45-50 minutes late. The snow at the Cascade Summit is at least 3 feet deep. By NYE it will be closer to 5' deep.

Maybe because I did it in december 1971 as reacquaintenace with the US after Nam, but I think one of the base get into snow with mountains thrown into the mix is the ride up the Sierras eastbound out of Sacramento. First you see the snow above in the distance, then close with patches around you, then you are in it with it getting to the point that the rails are not seen but are located by two ruts in the snow. At that time the next day was across Wyoming instead of the current route through the Rockies. It was very very cold. The train was stirring up snow like clouds of dust. Looking out the back was like looking out the back window of a car running on a dry dirt road. Wyoming all but defines empty, but then I have never seen Montana. My picture of Wyoming as this state of big cattle ranches did not appear. Did you know there are more cattle in Florida than Wyoming? At least true then. With the current route you will be coming down the Rockies into Denver after dark. That should also be an experience. With any sort of moon you should also see snow in the dark.

Thanks for the reply.

Speaking of the EB, according to the Amtrak Status Map, it appears to have a service disruption (both ways) right now. I don't know enough to find out why.

--

Bud
That service disruption is due to track work CHI-MSP. It ends 20 December.

In an hour or two I'll be going out to shovel out the driveway again. We have about 14" in the back yard.

Fly to Denver and take the CZ to Sacramento. Spend a few hours in the California Railroad Museum which is part of Old Town Sacramento. Get on the CS at about midnight. Take the CS to Chemult where you get on the Amtrak shuttle to Bend.

There is a bus service up to Mt. Bachelor if you don't want to rent a car.

Take the shuttle back to Chemult to catch the CS to Portland. You will have a little time to see Portland before getting on the Empire Builder. Depending on how much time you have, you might want to take a 24 hour break getting off in Whitefish MT.

Fly home from MSP or MKE.
I disagree. I believe the OP should depart from CHI and come bak there. Otherwise you miss the Midwest which is not boring at all. CHI is also very fun, even for a short layover.

I've been looking forward to taking the Zephyr during the winter months over Donner Pass.

Is snow the reason for the 7 hours delays on #6 between Denver and Chicago today?

Well you got 8 segments to use, so I'd use them all. Go Florida to DC, then Chicago. In the winter its best to do what everyone else has said. The CZ is best going west. The CS is best going north, and the EB is best going east to get Glacier Park and the frozen Mississippi in daylight hours. After the EB take the Cardinal to Charlottesville and the connecting bus to Richmond and back to Florida. This will be 8 segments including the bus. Or if you'd rather not burn a segment on a bus choose another shorter leg to use it on, perhaps in California or the Pacific NW.

Also the Southwest Chief you may see snow in Northern New Mexico, but miss the Rockies on the CZ.

Well you got 8 segments to use, so I'd use them all.
I like your thinking. However I really only have 7 segments because I'm going to pass really close to my sister's house and that layover will burn up one segment.

I believe that Donner Pass is a must see, so I'll have to do the Zephyr.

There are a couple of ways to get to Chicago from Miami. Silver Service to Washington and then the Capitol Limited to Chicago. Or Silver Service to NYP and then the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago. Any ideas about options along this route?

--

Bud

Well you got 8 segments to use, so I'd use them all.
I like your thinking. However I really only have 7 segments because I'm going to pass really close to my sister's house and that layover will burn up one segment.

I believe that Donner Pass is a must see, so I'll have to do the Zephyr.

There are a couple of ways to get to Chicago from Miami. Silver Service to Washington and then the Capitol Limited to Chicago. Or Silver Service to NYP and then the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago. Any ideas about options along this route?

--

Bud
Capital Limited. Better equipment and good country scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back