Snow storms on Donner Pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the Truckee/Tahoe and I-80 cameras are back online. A few have ice/snow covering the image.

Wow. That sums up the mess UP is Cleanimg up.

The agent In EMY gave me a specific number to call for train cancellation situations.

I called that number and got through in less than 5 minutes. Agent is refunding my money. I explained that the conductor lied to us about the hotel. In Emy several other passengers stated they had been told the same thing.

The agent I just talked to told me this was a communication issue between the conductor and the station agents.

I then went into the experience I had last June when I was booked into a non-existing sleeper (630) and had to wait two days to get home. I got a 100 dollar voucher for that.

From 5: They offered us hotel rooms for this night and tomorrow we are supposedly all going to get on the next 5 coming into town! This train will turn around and become a 6 from what I heard from someone waiting in the lobby.
I think it is extremely nice of Amtrak (and some air carriers under the same issues-weather) to offer hotels. Weather is beyond their control and they certainly aren't responsible. That is good customer service.

I think it is extremely nice of Amtrak (and some air carriers under the same issues-weather) to offer hotels. Weather is beyond their control and they certainly aren't responsible. That is good customer service.

This is a good point. Travel insurance is intended to provide this.

Maybe Amtrak has travel insurance?

This is a good point. Travel insurance is intended to provide this.

Maybe Amtrak has travel insurance?
Amtrak does offer travel insurance when you book. They ask you during the online booking process.
I purchase mine as needed directly from a travel insurance company - never through the carrier (train, or cruise).

My final report from "5" is that the hotel was a block from the station and quite nice. We showed up early to the station this morning and were told "you can wait downstairs and maybe get on the next 5, which will hold when it arrives because the tracks are not clear yet". Also no buses available. We weren't assigned any kind of number for first come first serve on the seats. They have also procured hotels for tonight again. But I decided that we didn't want to spend another day waiting in the Reno station, so I phoned a friend and we're flying over the mountains instead this time. Good luck to everyone on the California zephyr these days!

I watched Cam of #6 arrive at Truckee tonight at 9:29PM and depart at 9:36PM with Engine #14 in the lead. 30 minutes or so before was a freight, and a two engine setup before that.

I guess this is what a winter adventure on Amtrak is made of... uncertainty with beautiful beautiful snowy scenes. Leaving on the CZ out of EMY on Jan 11 after connecting from the CS [and Amtrak said they would guarantee the connection!!!] with all kinds of 'opportunities to become delayed and stranded. Will be in sleeper service at least... bringing along lots of warm clothing, cheese sticks, and rum! And patience! Looking forward to posting sharing pics :)

'Nothing new... pics below from 1952...

CITY-OF-SF-COVER-600x330.jpg

SP-6.jpg

Mike called Tge same number I did to get a refund. The reason a refund could not be given immediately was that the ticket had already been lifted. If the ticket agent has simply explained that I would not have been so demanding about the refund. I should have realized this without being told.

Amtrak does offer travel insurance when you book. They ask you during the online booking process.
I purchase mine as needed directly from a travel insurance company - never through the carrier (train, or cruise).
Why don't you get travel insurance through the carrier? I can imagine several possibilities but wanted to know your experience on this.

Why don't you get travel insurance through the carrier? I can imagine several possibilities but wanted to know your experience on this.
I don't have any specific examples/experiences with this. I pretty much follow the general consensus about this on the Cruise Critics boards.
Most of our trips include things other than Amtrak such as hotels and (like last August) cruises and I want those costs covered as well. I'm also interested in (due to our ages) coverage for things like trip interruption, medical evacuation, etc. That said, I've never had to file a claim against a travel policy although I did get a premium refund last year because of a Covid cancelled cruise (which was also refunded).
BTW, I currently use Allianz which is what Amtrak uses.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Last edited:
The 5-27 rolled into Truckee at 302pm and departed at 310pm, led by engines #142 & 186. UP #585 & 566 are parked on a side rail. And they just rolled up closer to the Truckee station at 3:23pm.

There was a lot a traffic in the gas station across from the 76 station, which appears to be out of gas. There was even several minutes where a car was parked on the tracks, waiting in line for the gas station!! A silver double gas truck rolled by, but turned east, so maybe it was carrying heating oil...

Last edited:
Here is the California DOT Highway Webcam site. To see Donner Summit on I-80, to get a sense of what the parallel and a little higher railroad might be like make the following selections:

Select Region: Sacramento
Select Camera: I-80: Hwy 80 at Donner Summit
Resize Camera Image: 200%

https://cwwp2.dot.ca.gov/tools/cctvmobile.htm

Here is the California DOT Highway Webcam site. To see Donner Summit on I-80, to get a sense of what the parallel and a little higher railroad might be like make the following selections:

Select Region: Sacramento
Select Camera: I-80: Hwy 80 at Donner Summit
Resize Camera Image: 200%

https://cwwp2.dot.ca.gov/tools/cctvmobile.htm
I'm sure glad I'm not driving in that!

Reading about the events taking place in Donner Pass at a time when we’re having rain in San Diego County made me think of George R. Stewart’s 1941 eco-novel Storm, which I first read while I was still in high school. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it describes the progress of a storm named Maria as it moves through California and how it impacts the lives of meteorologists, linemen, snowplow operators, a general, a couple of decamping lovebirds, and an unlucky owl. (One of the story threads deals with the storm’s impact on a crack cross-country passenger train bound for San Francisco.) The story thread telling of the road crews’ battle to keep Donner Pass open is particularly relevant to what’s happening now. 80 years after it was originally published, Storm is still in print and remains a good read.

Back